[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Isaiah et al. go negative

Isaiah et al. go negative

Does the New Baptist Covenant represent the dawning of a new day of unity in Baptist life? Discuss the ongoing Covenant meetings here.

Moderator: Bruce Gourley

Isaiah et al. go negative

Postby Norm » Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:55 pm

The student SBC reporter (or his editor) writes:

On day two, NBCC speakers go negative, criticize biblical inerrancy, tax cuts, Iraq war

To which I would respond:

1) good.
2) well, it seems SBC, then must be for biblical inerrancy, tax cuts for those with huge incomes, and the war in Iraq.
3) prophets should never sound a negative note?

Can we now expect to read from BP: On this day in history, Amos, God love him (been in the sun too long), had a cow, and Isaiah, God bless the poor man (you know he has these visions), was just downright beside himself. These men needed to get a grip and do better at seeing things from their tradition, especially if they wished to find favor with the people and their leadership.
Last edited by Norm on Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Norm

Re: Isaiah et al. go negative

Postby Stephen Fox » Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:02 pm

Hey Isaiah, come here and talk to us.

Randall Balmer says Richard Land is a counterfeit Baptist.
What do you make of that, and what do you make of Garry Wills on Rove.

Ben Cole was there in Atlanta according to Cathy.
Love to see his take; and love for you Isaiah, to have a conversation here with Cole about SBC directions.
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Postby Cathy » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:41 pm

Pt 1 New Baptist Covenant post on SBC Outpost is Ben Cole's partial take on the meeting. I only saw him on Thursday after Al Gore. It sounded from his post that he was there for the whole thing.

I thought his post was quite favorable considering. I think we can assume he will probably have a bit more about his reservations in a a future post.

He did criticize us frumpy middle aged white ladies. Well, probably deserved. I thought my Ralph Lauren sweaters and skirts were appropriate to the occasion and they pack well. Admittedly my Clark Privos aren't heels, but I consider them more sensible than orthopedic.

So maybe next meeting we should have some sessions for the sartorially challenged ladies from CBF. I can hear my mother now saying something like... consider the lilies of the field they toil not neither do they spin. To tell the truth I loved the hats as well and wondered where you buy those hats these days.

If I lose the rest of that extra weight in the Fat Baptist Challenge I might just buy a new wardrobe.

I don't want to start a whole new topic on my impressions so I'll roll around and find a spot to write a note. I am still in Athens Ga and don't have much wifi time as I have to go to the coffee shop and the iphone typing is too torturous for more than a short email. So maybe more later.
Cathy

Postby Big Daddy Weaver » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:10 pm

I saw bow-tie wearing Ben Cole as he was introducing himself to Mrs. Carter. James Dunn gave me a bow-tie when I left the BJC but for the life of me I can't figure out how to tie the dang thing. I saw Dwight McKissic on Wednesday night. It took me a moment for my jet-lagged brain to figure out that it was McKissic. From a distance, the guy looks like TD Jakes and I love me some late night TD Jakes on TBN.

I met Bruce and Brian Kaylor. Although, Brian must think I'm a doofus because it took me about 30 seconds to figure out who he was as he was introducing himself. Spoke with Rob Marus for a hot minute in the press room. And even sat two feet from David & Erin Roach of Baptist Press during the Chuck Grassley press conference. They weren't taking notes, had no tape recorder and no pen in sight. Perhaps that says something about their abilities as objective journalists? :lol: :lol: :lol:

I, however, did not see Stevo Fox. Foxy, where were you man?

And by chance did anyone in attendance step into Room 207 and look out over the exhibit hall of the National Baptist Convention's?

They had vendors selling fur coats, bright suits, and large hats. You could even purchase a pimped-up 2008 SUV w/ tinted windows and Rollin' on Dubbs (20 inch gold plated RIMS)!!!! There were at least four such vehicles on display courtesy of Stone Mountain BMW.
My book:
My Baptists Today column:
My blog:
Big Daddy Weaver

Postby KeithE » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:15 am

Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Here is what CB Scott

Postby Stephen Fox » Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:45 pm

had to say about the Atlanta Covenant:

http://cbscottreport.blogspot.com/2008/ ... -make.html
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Re: Here is what CB Scott

Postby Norm » Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:50 pm

Norm

Postby Rock » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:28 pm

Rock

Postby David Flick » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:51 pm

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby Mark » Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:58 pm

Haven't yet posted my own wrap-up of the wonderful celebration in Atlanta, but I strongly believe that censoring voices of dissent - no matter how unpleasant to read or hear - is hardly ever an appropriate response. I understand and appreciate the inclination to do so, but I have a visceral and almost instinctive negative reaction against it. Let the naysayers be heard, then let each one decide. Next time the naysayer might be one of the rest of us.

Not sure what was deleted, anyway. The link to C.B. Scott's blog entry still appears above.
Mark

Postby Mark » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:58 pm

Mark

Postby Big Daddy Weaver » Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:47 pm

My book:
My Baptists Today column:
My blog:
Big Daddy Weaver

Postby Mark » Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:58 pm

Mark

Postby Ed Pettibone » Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:53 pm

BDW wrote: So Mark, you can read Cb's comments and the Transcript of Bill Clinton's speech HERE. You can also read his blog at http://cbscottreport.blogspot.com/

Ed: But you really have to see and hear a video of Clinton's speech to appreciate it fully. The expression of his voice and face plus the timing of his delivery do not come through in the written text.
Ed Pettibone

Return to New Baptist Covenant