[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Furman 20 years after Break with SC SBC

Furman 20 years after Break with SC SBC

The place to discuss four centuries of Baptist history and heritage, from Thomas Helwys and Roger Williams to the present.

Moderator: Bruce Gourley

Taking Christ out of Furman

Postby Stephen Fox » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:43 am

I was in a conversation with 15 folks yesterday, October 20 Homecoming morning in the Furman Library. Two trustees were Present as well as key Furman proffs and staff and the development officer in the Slavery Justice Initiative roll out. All trustees meet this coming weekend.

Hidden in the recommendations of the Report is a poison pill, a move to replace the University Seal and take Christ out of the official Furman Motto as it has been for more than 150 years.

Institutional drama certain to follow
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

October 22 comment on Furman facebook

Postby Stephen Fox » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:04 am

I was in a group of about 15 folks in the Library Saturday morning for the rollout of the Slavery Justice initiative. Fascinating report but I fear there is something of a poison pill in the recommendations that would in effect remove Christ from the University Seal. I posted my concerns on the facebook wall of Brandon Inabinet. We remain facebook friends but he deleted my comment. I also shared my concerns on the wall of the New Baptist Covenant which had their tenth annual gathering last week. You can click over to their wall and see my comment in the Ruby Sales thread. Furman certainly is part of a big historical movement as Ms Sales is quoted with the following: “I submit to you today that the story has not been told – that the South has a rendezvous with destiny, that the whole struggle for human and civil rights will be fought in the South,” said Sales. “It will be the battleground for human and civil rights in the 21st century.”

Stephen M. Fox And at Furman, you can not disconnect Civil Rights from names like TC Smith, Marshall Frady, Martin England, LD Johnson, Will D. Campbell and Carlyle Marney and I see NO enthusiasm for celebrating their contributions as Baptists in the current Furman conversation and that saddens me..

Stephen Fox

Interest elevates at Furman

Postby Stephen Fox » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:36 am

Latest post on facebook quoting myself

There seems to have arisen a misunderstanding of my use of the term poison pill. The term was never uttered in the meeting Saturday morning or in any conversation I can remember to date about the report. The term is mine after Ive thought about the presentation Sunday and the many conversations I had since then and a few before to describe the concern about the seal. I wanted to do my best to be as clear as I could about that. Thanks. Looking to see how this concern plays out with the New Baptist Covenant and wider Baptist progressive Movement given well aware of the 1990 breal with the SC SBC, Furman will forever be known as a Historically BaptistCollege and the virtues of that history should be proclaimed as broadly as the current gut wrenching over the apologists for slavery of the founding fathers. Going forward maybe somebody can channel Marshall Frady much better than my capacity, in the interest of Transparency and I find many suspicions about that in the chatter this process has evoked. Thank you, Proud to be a Paladin and Jesus knows that and many Furman folks now in heaven if I could be so retrograde at this juncture to utter such arcane phrases, callin on the name of the Lord and what not.

Stephen Fox

And this Tuesday 23rd

Postby Stephen Fox » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:35 am

I was gonna let things lie re the Slavery Justice conversations but as the Trustees I understand are on campus this weekend this may be the best opportunity to get this to them. Of the recommendations in the report I have some reservations about Lillian Brock Flemming Way but then I was reminded last night on Upstate WYFF just what a force for good she is, tireless in leaning forward. I think the statue of Joe Vaughn coming in the library is spot on. That said all this statuary and recognition without some honor to the likes of Martin England and TC Smith Furman legends for those who know the University best and whose institutional memory is widest should is shallow. For certain it was major oversight not to recognize Marshall Frady at Fluor Field as one of Furman's finest. A soccer player on campus for one year becomes a Furman Legend while the greatest social justice journalist of the last half of the 20th Century goes without recognition is a travesty, no diss on soccer. I'm well aware former President Shi was to have Frady on campus for a semester to a year then came Frady's untimely death.....England and TC Smith like Martin Luther King Jr. were Baptists and Frady the son of a Baptist minister. As Furman honor's its civil right history these men should be uppermost in this current initiative.....Jesse Jackson was main eulogizer for Marshall Frady. Let's remind every generation of Furman students in the coming years, maybe a course every three years of the best of the Baptist legacy with a focus on the Civil Rights era and all who paid a price, not just spotlighting Joe Vaughn and Ms Fleming. Thanks.

Stephen Fox

latest post of FU facebook wall, Oct 26

Postby Stephen Fox » Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:14 am

Brinkley was on Live with Don Lemon from Greenville last night on CNN after his Furman presentation to talk about Trump and the many pipe bombing attempts the last two days. Brinkley said Trump has been a failure in the way he has addressed this crisis "as he has failed" in so many other aspects of his Presidency. How the many Republicans in Upstate SC with Furman degrees appear to be struck mute re Trump is a mystery to me. Just take a look at the current online site of New York Review of Books and their piece on the Suffocation of Democracy......And while Furman has the the Slavery and Justice initiative front and center and surgically examining the utterances of of James Clement Furman 150 years ago, why can't the committee and Provost George Shields who seems to be the key administrator in this exercise call on Coach Bobby Johnson, a Furman legend on the NCAA national selection committee to publicly call on the likes of Condi Rice and Archie Manning to call out Trump for his sons of bitches statement last fall in Huntsville, Alabama. Trump implied two of Nick Saban's Heismann Trophy winners were sonsabitches because their take on Kaepernick leaned more toward the black resister than the Nationalist president. Where is Furman on that? And let's do ask What would Marshall Frady say?

Stephen Fox

Molly Worthen has advice for Identity politics at Furman

Postby Stephen Fox » Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:34 pm

Stephen Fox

This conversation could go to NPR

Postby Stephen Fox » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:39 pm

Initial conversations have taken place. The 1A program in the old Diane Rehm timeslot

Stephen Fox

Eleanor Beardsley Commencement address at Furman

Postby Stephen Fox » Tue May 14, 2019 2:08 pm

https://news.furman.edu/2019/05/11/comm ... beardsley/

I chatted with a Furman person yesterday as I was making good on my annual pledge. We were talking about Commencement addresses. She didnt know about Marshall Frady but she does now.

Eleanor is on the pole of Furman's finest at Fluor Field. She deserves it. I think Marshall Frady will be on a pole soon. I may blog about this address with a suggestion for Eleanor--who btw did quite good without my advice--an excerpt from Jill Lepore's magisterial new history of America These Truths

Eleanor majored in History at Furman.

A friend from Alabama, a big Eleanor fan, read the address or watched live streaming down in Albany.

Stephen Fox

Furman's Mark Sanford launches Presidential Bid

Postby Stephen Fox » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:18 pm

Stephen Fox

Michael Beschloss at Furman

Postby Stephen Fox » Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:08 pm

Presidential Historian at Greenville Country Club tonight cosponsored by Furman History Dept and Values. One of my facebook posts of a week ago that talking about Congressman Timmons and Christ Church was taken down from the Furman site, but the one I posted a few hours ago remains.

Stephen Fox

Furman Paladin calls for Trump Impeachment

Postby Stephen Fox » Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:32 pm

Stephen Fox

2019 God Forum at Furman

Postby Stephen Fox » Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:44 pm

https://furmanmedia.com/2019/11/19/my-e ... #more-1000

Quite different from my Freshman year when Josh McDowell was on campus and packed out the Dining room.

Crapps of Flanders Crapps and Smith People of the Covenant was in the audience. But I was pretty much virgin timber at the time and unaware Pressler was already after em.

Stephen Fox

Furman's Brett Nelsen on the SC Primary

Postby Stephen Fox » Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:28 am

Furman has a couple political scientists Danielle Vinson and Brett Nelsen the national press check in with when the SC Primary comes around. Good folks been there about thirty years.
Dr. Nelsen is featured on their facebook wall keying on the black vote in the Dem party.
Neither of them seem to have noticed my blog review of the book from last August that focuses on the SC 4th District, Trey Gowdy's old District in which they breathe and move and have their being as the Bible Says.
Nelsen in particular should engage that phrase as I'm pretty sure he had history in the PCA congregation,maybe even it's formation, with Jim Demint of the Heritage Foundation.

And thatfor starters. Check my blog site for deep dive into the SC 4th

And if you live there or teach or have interest in our Country and the US House, by all means have your local public library get the book and read it

Stephen Fox

Furman grad writes about the Arberry Muder in Brunswick Ga

Postby Stephen Fox » Thu May 21, 2020 2:29 pm

Stephen Fox

Warren Fortson of Americus 65 passes

Postby Stephen Fox » Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:06 am

https://www.csog.com/obit/warren-candler-fortson/

Frady helped make him immortal in a national piece in 65

Stephen Fox

KA s suspended for four years for Covid Parties

Postby Stephen Fox » Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:56 pm

Stephen Fox

Eisenhower's Furman connection.

Postby Stephen Fox » Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:59 am

It is through the First Prez choir of Greenville and it's 70s pastor Kowalski and Furman voice John Crabtree, the Shakespeare scholar who was major influence on Marshall Frady. Kowalski's were Ike and Mamie's pastor at Augusta National Prez where the Ikes had a cottage. Through Mamie the families became great friends. All documented in a Greenville News columnist, Jim McCallister collection.

Stephen Fox

my two cents for Furman upcoming panel

Postby Stephen Fox » Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:01 pm

Stephen Fox

Election Day 200 marker of the 78 Jew and Atwater SC Rep rac

Postby Stephen Fox » Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:27 pm

https://tinyurl.com/y6bamash

Proud of Furman for this report. A key race in the History of SC politics. Furman Saint and Chaplain LD Johnson is in one of the first footnotes siding with his friend Max Heller, the Mayor of Greenville, survivor of Hitler of the Jewish faith.

Stephen Fox

Biden president, Furman in the OANews

Postby Stephen Fox » Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:44 pm

On this day within an hour of Biden officially announced as US President Ive made comments at the Auburn Opelika News and Furman facebook wall about a notice at OANews Mike Hubbard to be in jail for four years. His son Clayte is a 2018 Furman grad. I met Clayte at Homecoming a couple years ago, and about four years ago Mike Hubbard Sent Homeland security to Collinsville to make a personal call on me. There was a misunderstanding that got cleared up by the time of the kickoff that Friday night. They talked to people in town.
But this comes on heels of Marshall Frady shoutout in a Jon Meacham article in NY Times of late October. A comparison of end of Trump days to Wallace in 68. Strong History lesson. Clayte loves his Father as I;m sure Mike loves Clayte. They have friends in the FUMC of Auburn. But history is clear on Mike Hubbard's politics and Clayte has available in the best of the Furman tradition resources for a life ahead of him to try to make sense of what all this means and his father's role in it.

I hope Clayte does better than Franklin Graham when it comes to this link near at hand

https://www.npr.org/2020/11/07/93220302 ... gh-choices

Stephen Fox

Furman, Trump, Lindsey Graham and Bonhoeffer

Postby Stephen Fox » Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:55 am

posted 11 11 11:45am Veterans day 2020

Here is a way to finish strong for whatever thinking has been done on campus this fall in the Trump moment, while the Seeking Abraham Initiative is still evolving. Many know Baptist historian Bill Leonard was counsel to Furman's Abraham initiative. Here he is today with clear words for Furman's REEM Committee, Lindsey Graham, Timmons and Jeff Duncan. Furman President Davis, Trustee Baxter Wynn the brother of the former Chair of the SC GOP, and Furman great friend Minor Shaw. I hope the whole committee reads this carefully in conjunction with the teachable moment for the entire campus now on PBS The Rise of the Nazis. FTR I don't think William Timmons or Jeff Duncan even Trey Gowdy are Nazis, but I do think Jeff Duncan has a lot of explaining to do about the dark money politics of the NRA roots in Lee Atwater and Wallace Race Baiting. Sheriff Hobart Lewis may have some explaining to do as well with his rioting and looting ad on behalf of Lindsey Graham these last seven weeks or so. Or else looks to me REEM is shallow....Ive said too much. Check Bill Leonard on Bonhoeffer and read him carefully

Stephen Fox

Boundaries and the Bloody Jesus at Furman

Postby Stephen Fox » Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:20 am

Furman grad Russ Dean , FU 86, has written a marker of a book, Finding a New Way Home, that will be definitive for the Baptist experience at Furman the last hald of the 20th Century. Ive devoured it since gifted under the Christmas tree a week ago.
s
Dean names Marney's Friend Charlie Gilford when he and wife Amy Jacks get to Park Road in Charlotte twenty years ago. And in the Furman chapters lot of the proffs that were legends even the eleven years before Russ when I was there.

Dean's room mate freshman year was Kyle Matthew's, the Baptist jingle writer from FBC Greenvillle. Dean's father was longtime pastor at FBC Clinton SC home of Presbyterian College.

So this is good stuff, especially his Chapter on the Blood language in Baptist hymnody and where his faith and practice boundaries are now.

A lesser plateau than James Wood and Marshall Frady, but a good read especially for those of us with a Furman experience.

As Ive said many times before, Chic Fil A's Dan Cathy was in my religion class fall of 71 with Crapps, who along with DAvid Smith and the Baylor proff wJack Flanders wrote People of Covenant which stuck in Pressler's craw. Dan Cathy should read Russ Dean's book.

Flanders was at Furman till early 60s when he left for Baylor and in six years was to tangle with Pressler.

I will blog soon.

Stephen Fox

My take on Russ Dean Furman experience

Postby Stephen Fox » Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:52 pm

Stephen Fox

My response to new vision statement

Postby Stephen Fox » Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:26 pm

Stephen Fox

My furman facebook post of April 19, 2021

Postby Stephen Fox » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:53 am

And on Monday, today, Baptist news global published an article that updates Courtney Tollison's dissertation on the split between Furman and SC SBC that was also a foundational document reverberating through the Seeking Abraham initiative that brought Furman to this statue unveiling. I have shared the article with Furman NAACP, in hopes it will be part of the Equity Committee on which President Davis sits with Trustee Baxter Wynn and Furman's great friend Minor Shaw. As Ive said many times it is one thing to attempt to ameliorate the past, but something else altogether for Furman leadership to have heart to hearts with their Republican friends at FBC Greenville, Westminster Prez and Congressman Timmons Christ Church Episcopal. As Lee Atwater yearned for the politics of race baiting has evolved into the messy politics of abortion and guns, and Furman is less than the noble aspirations of LD Johnson, Marshall Frady and Joe Vaughn if it doesnt take up that conversation in earnest here Post Trump in Upstate SC of Trey Gowdy, Jeff Duncan, Lindsey Graham and William Timmons.

Stephen Fox

PreviousNext

Return to Baptist History and Heritage