[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - My hymnal collection

My hymnal collection

Open discussion on general Baptist-related topics of interest to Baptists around the world.

Moderator: Dave Roberts

Re: My hymnal collection

Postby Haruo » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:28 pm

Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:39 pm

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:44 pm

I find Believers Hymn Book interesting enough that I went ahead and ordered a copy of the music edition from the publisher in Scotland, not having been able to locate it for sale in the US.

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Rvaughn » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:14 pm

Rvaughn

Postby Haruo » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:39 pm

Good point! I linked the wromg JPEG. Here:

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Rvaughn » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:36 pm

Don't know how they resolve it, but I would sing two lines to the heavy phrase bar in the upper brace, go back to the beginning and sing two lines, and then finish up the last four lines with the repeat as already incorporated in the song.
Rvaughn

Postby Haruo » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:39 pm

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:16 pm

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Rvaughn » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:13 am

Rvaughn

American Baptist Hymnal / All-American Church Hymnal

Postby Haruo » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:54 pm

Anybody (Robert Vaughn?) know the relationship between the All-American Church Hymnal, 1957, and the American Baptist Hymnal, 1960? After revisiting , I'm wondering if perhaps the ABH1960 is just a private-label reprint of the AACH1957. I'd also like to know if my guess that with the AACH1957 "edition" means "printing" is correct.

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Rvaughn » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:16 am

I have wondered whether the American Baptist Hymnal had the All-American Church Hymnal as a sort of base document, and revised and particularized from there. But I don't know that. Seems I remember once comparing them and noticing a lot of similarities, but my memory is faulty sometimes. Possibly interesting, the man who was editor-in-chief of the BSSC when they compiled the ABH married a lady from our community, and retired back to the area. Had I thought to ask him when he was living, I would know the answer to your question.
Rvaughn

Postby Haruo » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:04 pm

Attachments
NE1911 COVER.jpg

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:50 am

You'll be famous for your rare hymnal collection, Haruo. You don't owe me anything.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Uityyy » Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:12 am

Since I've benefited from learning a thing or two from the thread above (Believe it or not I was searching the web without success the other day to find out if Hymns of Grace (Second Edition) was a round or shaped book before just happening upon the answer and a bunch more here), I thought I'd jump on with some information from my own collection. I've been focusing mainly on collecting seven-shape hymnals recently, so for now I'll just list the Aikin stuff in my own collection and my girlfriend's. Sometime when it isn't past midnight, I hope to follow up with some remarks on the nature and content of some of the less common books for the benefit of anyone wondering whether they're worth having. I've listed reprints under their original date and later editions under later dates.

[edit: correct paste errors]

1914 The Good Old Songs
1918 Primitive Baptist Hymn and Tune Book
1926 The Modern Hymnal
1938 The Cokesbury Worship Hymnal
1943 Anchored Faith
1948 Christian Hymns Number Two
1949 The Eureka Sunlight Glees
1951 Church Hymnal
1957 Christian Songs and Choice Hymns
1959 Christian Hymnal
1960 Sacred Selections for the Church
1961 Primitive Baptist Hymnal
1965 All Time Favorite Hymns
1965 The Great Christian Hymnal: Number Two
1966 Songs of Faith and Hope
1969 Great Songs of The Church: Number Two (47th ed., 1937 original)
1969 The Mennonite Hymnal
1971 Glad Tidings
1972 The Christian Hymnary
1975 Baptist Hymnal (1975 Edition)
1977 Special Sacred Selections
1981 Sweet Victory
1982 (>=) Rounds for Singing
1983 Old School Hymnal: Eleventh Edition
1987 Zion’s Praises
1992 Heavenly Strains
1992 Inspiring Favorites
1993 Alabanzas Favoritas No. 2
1994 Songs of Faith and Praise
1994 Songs of the Church 21st Century Ed.
1995 Himnos de la iglesia
1996 Blessed Fountain
1997 Praise For The Lord
2000 Mull’s Singing Convention Number 7
2000 Songs of Faith
2001 Old School Hymnal: Twelth Edition
2002 Psalm 119
2004 Primitive Baptist Hymnal 2nd Ed
2005 Heartland Hymns
2005 Hymns We Love No. 3: Arranged for Men
2005 Songs of Devotion No. 2
2008 Hymns for Worship
2010 Songs for Worship and Praise
2011 Hymns of the Church
2011 Lob und Erbauung
2012 Pslams, Hymns, and Spiritual Songs
2013 Mountain Laurel Echoes
2016 Best of Southern Gospel
2016 Old-Line Primitive Baptist Hymn and Tune Book For All Lovers of Truth in Sacred Song
2017 Praise Hymnal: Revised 2017 Edition
2017 Chahta Uba Isht Taloa Micha Taloa Ikbi Holisso Hoke (Choctaw Hymn and Tune Book)
2017 Songs of Zion
2018 Evening Light Hymns
2018 Worship the King: An Old School Baptist Hymnal
2019 The B-Side Christmas Singer 2019 Ed
2020 Praise Hymnal: Revised 2020 Edition
Last edited by Uityyy on Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~ Timothy Gaskell
Uityyy

Postby Haruo » Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:12 pm

Welcome! Good to have you here, and that's a very interesting list!

I'm a bit surprised you don't have the 2010 edition of . I don't know of any churches that use it as a pew hymnal, but it's a great thing to sing out of anyway! ()

I believe the entire contents (including page scans, robotic sound clips, and links where available to YouTubes, is up at the Sacred Harp Bremen website, here:

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:21 pm

I don't see any either. There's an online version in, I think, both 7- and 4-shape notation (your choice). This is the book that was originally the 4-shape Funk's Genuine Church Music, later turned 7-shape and renamed. Yep, ; I haven't checked whether the 7 shapes are Aikin or Funk.

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Uityyy » Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:54 pm

At the last Sacred Harp sing I was at, I purchased several books including the Walker-shape facsimile of the Christian Harmony. At the time, I didn't feel like I could justify getting the 2010 Aikin-shape edition as well, but I may remedy that at some point.

I mailed in an order for the 26th (end-opener) edition of the Harmonia Sacra, but they've sold out on current copies and not yet had it reprinted, so a few days ago I ordered the legacy edition (portrait) as well, which has not yet arrived in the mail.

I did get one more in the mail today, though:

1964 Christian Praise

This is a Broadman Press (Southern Baptist) pew hymnal, and the preface doesn't provide any context for why they produced it midway between the first two editions of The Baptist Hymnal.
~ Timothy Gaskell
Uityyy

Sacred Harp Sessions

Postby Stephen Fox » Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:07 am

Uityyy what events are on your annual calendar. I try to make the Henegar alabama session annually week of July 4 but I expect Covid will pre empt it this year. Great event with upwards of 200 singers at one of the Mother churches of Sacred Harp annually
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Postby Uityyy » Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:34 pm

My family sings out of the Dennison book at home, but the nearest convention is Texas Southwest, which uses the Cooper book. Their fall session was my first all-day singing in many years, but I definitely want to go back. My girlfriend attends the Harmony Hill Singing School every year, so I plan to be there in 2021. They use their own Primitive Baptist Hymnal (2004) and also the Dennison book Sacred Harp. l will also be looking for fifth-Sunday Southern Gospel singings.

(As an aside, I've been really appreciating the 2004 Primitive Baptist Hymnal for it's combination of lots of verses, shaped notes, and lots of tunes from the Sacred Harp tradition.)
~ Timothy Gaskell
Uityyy

Postby Haruo » Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:29 pm

Denson, not Dennison, I'm guessing you mean. There's a huge amount of material in common between Denson and Cooper books, but each also has a bunch of good stuff of its own, and from all I hear even when they have the same tune at the same page a lot of the time they have different alto parts, and a lot of the time the altos prefer the Cooper.

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:39 am

I don't seem to have the 2004 PBH. Where can it behalf? I see one on Amazon third-party, but it's over$70.

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Uityyy » Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:32 pm

Yes, Denson. I keep saying that name wrong.

The 2004 Primitive Baptist Hymnal can be ordered directly from the singing school.
https://harmonyhillsingingschool.org/pbh/order/

Hymnals do seem to be one atypical category of book that are regularly not available on Amazon for anywhere close to as little as the publisher itself charges.
~ Timothy Gaskell
Uityyy

Postby Haruo » Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:00 pm

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Uityyy » Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:09 pm

New seven-shape (Aikin-style) arrivals:

1945 Jubilee Spirituals
1947 Pentecostal Praises
1947 Songs and Hymns Divine
1956 Our Favorite Songs
1964 Christian Praise
1964 Free Will Baptist Hymn Book
1965 General Baptist Hymn Book
1966 Songs That Live (actually shape-note and round-note pages jumbled together!)
1967 Faithway Church Songs and Hymns No. 2
1969 The Star of Bethlehem (revision of Ruebrush, Kieffer & Co.’s 1889 book, 2013 reprint)
1978 Church Gospel Songs and Hymns
1980 Praises we Sing (actually 2015 ed. With no changed music)
1980 The Harmonia Sacra Legacy Edition (actually revised 2010, but not enough that they changed the edition number)
2007 Sacred Songs of the Church
~ Timothy Gaskell
Uityyy

Postby Uityyy » Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:03 pm

And now for commentary on some of the hymnals, particularly ones that do not yet have full indexes in Hymnary:

Pentecostal Praises, Pentecostal Publishing House, Hazelwood, MO, 1947
Still in print! 342 hymns, mostly Gospel Hymns and Southern Gospel. Index of titles only and a partial topical index. Copyright assigned to current publisher in 1950. Original publisher not listed.

Songs and Hymns Divine, S. N. Greene, Oklahoma City 6, Oklahoma, 1947
220 + 2 hymns, largely Southern Gospel. Unusual for being published in Oklahoma, which seems as a state to be mostly a consumer rather than a producer of Southern Gospel. Greene had Stamps-Baxter, which owned a lot of the songs anyway, print the book for him. The hymnal is unique in having TWO different hymn number 159s, as the original number has not been removed from whatever plate is reproduced on the inside front cover!

Christian Hymns Number Two, Gospel Advocate Co., Nashville, TN, 1948
452+1 hymns, mostly Gospel Hymns. This is Church of Christ hymnal edited by L. O. Sanderson. Some background on it can be found on a Church of Christ blog, but it hasn't been entered into Hymnary.org yet. Church of Christ hymnals, unlike those I have seen from any other denomination, almost universally include a silk bookmark of the kind found in many bibles, and I can see from this volume that they've been doing that for a long time.

Our Favorite Songs, Jubillee Publications, Nashville, TN, 1956
Paperback. Not dated inside. 182 hymns, mostly Southern Gospel, and some pictures of quartet groups. This was associated with the Gospel Singing Jubilee TV program.

Christian Songs and Choice Hymns, Stamps Quartet Music Company Inc., Dallas, TX, 1957
Paperback. 269 hymns, classics and Southern Gospel.

Free Will Baptist Hymn Book, National Association of Free Will Baptists, Nashville, TN, 1964
General Baptist Hymn Book, General Baptist Education and Publications Inc., Poplar Bluff, MO, 1965
415 hymns + responsive readings. These two books are virtually identical except for the church covenants and the "General Baptist" version referring to foot washing circuitously as "fellowship in condescension" in the topical index. I recall reading that the denomination joined the hymnal project the corporation had already started. The mix of Gospel Hymns and older classics here has a lot of overlap with Southern Baptist hymnals.

All Time Favorite Hymns, Jimmie Davis Music Co. Inc., Shreveport, LA, 1965
Paperback. 240 + 1 hymns + readings. This hymnal is unique in having TWO separate paperback covers, one inside the other. The outer cover is maroon paper with a faux-leather pattern and the title. The inner cover is glossy card-stock with a picture of a shockingly Anglo-Saxon looking Jesus rescuing a lost lamb above the title. I'm assuming the author is the same Jimmie Davis that recorded "You are my sunshine" and served as the pro-segregation (eew!!!!) governor of Louisiana just a year before this book was published.

The Great Christian Hymnal: Number Two, Brotherhood Press, Abilene, TX, 1965
480 + 1 hymns + a few unnumbered chants. Mainly gospel hymns. I'm in the process of creating a pages spreadsheet of this to go on Hymnary.org. The editor Tillit S. Teddlie was a major Church of Christ hymn writer and includes a lot of his own hymns in here. He wrote one of his most re-printed early hymns while pastoring a church in the same little town where I went to college, so there's some local interest behind me wanting to take the time to fully index this.
~ Timothy Gaskell
Uityyy

PreviousNext

Return to Baptist Faith & Practice Forum