[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - My hymnal collection

My hymnal collection

Open discussion on general Baptist-related topics of interest to Baptists around the world.

Moderator: Dave Roberts

Re: My hymnal collection

Postby Haruo » Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:42 pm

I wasn't aware of "In Spirit and Truth", at least I don't think I was. I'll look it up. I just ordered a 1960 edition of the ABH from a third-party seller through Amazon, total of about $8 postpaid.
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:51 pm

Again on the question of the "best hymnal", while I like lots of them, I think if I had to pick a relatively inexpensive, roundnote hymnal for a church hymn-sing-type application I would probably go with Hendrickson's (2006). I wish it had more recent stuff (Troeger, Wren, Murray, etc.), most of what it has is either by the editor or the Gettys. But I like the numerous options for different tunes, and a larger than average number of verses to a lot of hymns. Oh, and James, it has "606". I think the editor is an ex-Baptist neo-Anglican.

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Rvaughn » Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:05 pm

Rvaughn

Postby James » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:14 am

Haruo, your books are on their way. ETA 5 Aug. Total shipping cost is 28.90. Your cost $19.00. I threw in a few extra books to fill the second box.

Have fun.
James North
CBF, Virginia
Born again by God's free grace
James

Postby Haruo » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:55 am

Thanks, James. I'm looking forward to them.

Do you take PayPal, or I should send a check? Either way, to what address? The price of mailing books continues to skyrocket under Trump. ;-) Or maybe we should blame Amazon?

Haruo
Site Admin

I got a book last week

Postby Stephen Fox » Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:33 pm

Originally from an AME church in DC; how it got to a thrift store in Bama I don't know, but It did not have the NACCP anthem in it.

Also Haruo good thread at Sacred Harp facebook friends on favorite lines.

Mine was the song with the phrase "Mine's an urgent, pressing case". The language my grandfather WD Shorty Fox, born 1895, used
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Re: I got a book last week

Postby Haruo » Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:22 pm

Attachments
74b King of Peace.jpg

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:34 pm

I just looked over the first 99 items in my collection as listed at hymnary.org, weeding out the ones I would not bother digging out to consult in compiling my perfect hymnal.

Here are the 29 I know I would consult. Boldface means I think they would be major sources for me; an asterisk means I don't know for sure if they have anything I'd use, but I would want to look through them to make sure.

[Sgaw Karen Baptist Hymnal, 1963]
400+ Christmas Carols Book: Sheet Music for Piano *
A New Hymnal for Colleges and Schools
A Selection of Plain Tunes, Set Pieces, and Anthems from Indian Melodies
A Singing Faith *
Adoru kantante
Adoru: ekumena diserva libro
African American Heritage Hymnal
AGO Founders Hymnal

Alabanza Cubana Para las Naciones
Alleluia Aotearoa: Hymns and Songs for All Churches *
American Hymns Old and New *
An American Christmas Harp
Baptist Hymnal 1956
Baptist Hymnal 1975
Baptist Hymnal 1991
Beams of Heaven: hymns of Charles Albert Tindley
Blessed Assurance: Hymns of Fanny J. Crosby
Borning Cry, Second Edition, Volume I
Bring Many Names *
Cáliz de Bendiciones: Himnario Discipulos de Cristo
Celebrating Grace Hymnal
Chalice Hymnal

Chautauqua Hymnal and Liturgy
Christian Science Hymnal 1932
Christian Science Hymnal: Hymns 430-603
Christian Worship: a hymnal
Community of Christ Sings
Complete Anglican Hymns Old and New *

Here are the 70 I wouldn't feel obligated to review:

200 Scripture Songs You love to sing...
A New Now Youth Folk Hymnal
A Taste of Heaven's Joys
A Teaching Hymnal: ecumenical and evangelical
Action Songs for Boys and Girls, Vol.2
Agape: Songs of Hope and Reconciliation
Al Dio sonu nova kant'!
Al Smith's Choice Collection of Gospel Solos for Low Voice (Vol. 1)
Al Smith's Choice Collection of Gospel Solos for Low Voice (Vol. 2)
Al Smith's Choice Collection of Gospel Solos for Low Voice (Vol. 3)
Al Smith's Choice Collection of Gospel Solos for Low Voice (Vol. 4)
Al Smith's Choice Collection of Gospel Solos for Low Voice (Vol. 5)
All-American Church Hymnal
American Catholic Hymnbook
American Harmony: inspired choral miniatures from New England, Appalachia, the Mid-Atlantic, the South, and the Midwest
American Student Hymnal
An Eclectic Harmony: A Collection of Four-Shape Tunes Old and New, in a great variety of Styles and Metres from sources additional to the Denson Revisions of The Sacred Harp submitted for the Spiritua
An Eclectic Harmony. II
Ancient and Modern: hymns and songs for refreshing worship
Annotations upon Popular Hymns
Assembly Songs
At the Lighting of the Lamps: Hymns of the Ancient Church
Baptist Hymnal 2008
BDSA's "Own" Song Book
Better Than Pearls: sacred songs expressly adapted for gospel meetings
beyond a dream
Billy Graham Crusade Songs 1960
Bread of Life Scripture Songs
Calvary Melodies Book One
Caneuon Ffydd: Hen Nodiant
Cantate Domino: An Ecumenical Hymn Book
Cantate Domino: World's Student Christian Federation Hymnal
Cantica Sanctorum: a collection of psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs; For the worship and glory of God, And the edification of His saints.
Canticle, the Franciscan University Hymnal
Cantiques chrétiens à l'usage des assemblées religieuses
Cantos de Alabanza y Adoración (Edición Letra)
Cantos del Pueblo de Dios = Songs of the People of God (2nd ed.)
Cantus Christi
Carol Our Christmas: A Book of New Zealand Carols
Carols for Choirs 1: Fifty Christmas Carols
Carols for Choirs 2: Fifty Carols for Christmas and Advent
Catholic Community Hymnal
Choice Light and Life Songs
Choice Songs for Youth No. 1
Christian Hymnal Selections: compiled for general use in evangelistic services
Christian Hymnal, a Collection of Hymns and Sacred Songs Suitable for Use in Public Worship
Christian Science Hymnal 1909
Christian Science Hymnal Supplement: hymns 430-462
Christian Science Hymnal: words only
Christian Service Songs
Christian Youth Hymnal
Christmas Carol Songbook
Christmas Carols and Songs for Singing
Christmas Customs and Carols
Christmas Favorites
Christmas in Song: A Treasury of Traditional Songs
Church Hymnal
Church Hymnal
Church Hymns and Gospel Songs: for use in church services
Clarsach Shioin: The Highland Hymnal
Columbian Harmony
Come Sing a Song with Me: A Songbook for All Ages
Country & Western Gospel Hymnal Volume One
Cross Generation
Crowning Glory No. 1: a choice collection of gospel hymns
Crusader Hymns
Cáng ciō séng sĭ
Dakota Odowan: Dakota hymns
Dare to Run Songbook: 51 Contemporary Songs
Deluxe 200 Christmas Song Book

Doesn't mean they have nothing worth using. Just a matter of temporal economics.

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby David Flick » Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:38 pm

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby Rvaughn » Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:33 pm

Nice picture, David, though a bit dated for both of you. ;-)

How far are you from Ardmore? I was up there last year researching the First Orthodox Baptist Church of Ardmore (now a Southern Baptist with another name, Trinity, I think).
Rvaughn

Postby Haruo » Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:02 pm

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Rvaughn » Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:21 pm

I'd say that they used "Orthodox" because they believed their views conformed to the normal Baptist position, as opposed to some of the problems they perceived were being taught in OBU and elsewhere. I think the novelty of the name among Baptists (and misunderstanding of others) eventually caused all churches that used the terminology to drop. The one in Ardmore was probably the last (that is, to drop it). There is a bit of history here:
Rvaughn

Postby James » Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:25 pm

Haruo, in round figures it comes to $30. This brings your share to $20. I would prefer a check. There is one small book in the boxes. It is the oldest book in the box. If you give the book a standard flip, you will find the title label. Title page is missing. I hope you get good use out of these old warriors. Some of these have taken a beating.
James North
CBF, Virginia
James

Postby Haruo » Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:47 pm

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby James » Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:11 pm

Haruo, lets hold off payment until you get the books. Each box has my return address on the label. I'm tracking the shipment.
James North
CBF, Virginia
James

Postby Haruo » Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:51 am

Sure.

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:37 pm

They arrived on Saturday. I was particularly thrilled to see a nearly-complete 1837 The Harmonist! It's pretty much all stuff I'm thrilled to have, though. Adding it to my collection of things in need to assistance.

James, please post or PM to me the address for the postage check.

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:31 pm

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:37 pm

Four new hymnals in the mail today:

2 brand new ones from Majesty Music in Greenville, SC:
Rejoice Hymns, 2011, and Praises III, 1991
Rejoice Hymns and Praises III.jpg

and the 1960 American Baptist Hymnal (ABA not ABC!) recommended by Robert,
American Baptist Hymnal.jpg

and then the 1995 second edition of REJOICE: The Free Will Baptist Hymn Book
Rejoice - the Free Will Baptist Hymn Book.jpg

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Rvaughn » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:55 pm

I like the Free Will Baptist Hymn Book, in that it has songs about feet washing.
Rvaughn

Postby Haruo » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:53 pm

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:29 am

BTW, I just ran across a likeable feet washing hymn, beginning "Once in Jerusalem of old", in an 1886 SDA hymnal in Hymnary.

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Rvaughn » Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:46 pm

Yes, I ran across that one (at least, I think it is the same one).

Once in Jerusalem of old, C.M.D.
1. Once in Jerusalem of old
Our Savior washed their feet
Who climbed with him Judea’s hills,
And roved its valleys sweet.
With lowly attitude and mien
To them he bowed the knee;
Thus showing how love’s service blends
With meek humility.

2. But far from that low path of grace
His people since have trod,
And erring feet have trampled down
The ordinances of God.
Come brothers, sisters, let us raise
This long-forgotten rite;
Bow each to each with humble minds,
And walk in duty’s light.

3. With holy kiss, with words of love,
With hearts all kind and true,
We’ll banish thoughts of envious pride,
As Jesus’ friends should do.
Dear Saviour help us keep more near
The good old Bible ways;
Head, hands, and feet we pray thee wash,
That we may speak thy praise.

Some of our Sacred Harp hymns mention feet washing, though not necessarily in lines used in The Sacred Harp.
1. Tis my desire with God to walk...
4. Tis my desire His saints to meet,
To wash the dear disciples’ feet;
And serve them, as my dearest Lord
Has taught me in His blessed Word.

We squeezed the feet washing stanza back into Columbus (67) in the 2012 Cooper Edition (that is, I think it had been left out of Cooper & Denson, though it was in the ):
3. Once I could joy the saints to meet, To me they were most dear;
I then could stoop to wash their feet, And shed a joyful tear:
But now I meet them as the rest, And with them joyless stay;
My conversation’s spiritless, Or else I’ve nought to say.

This last one I think was originally from the Mennonites, but I found it in a book on feet washing written by a Free Will Baptist minister.
Love consecrates the humblest act. C.M.

1. Love consecrates the humblest act,
And sanctifies each deed.
It sheds a benediction sweet,
And hallows every need.

2. When in the shadow of the cross,
Christ bowed and washed the feet
Of his disciples; twas a sign
Of His great love complete.

3. Ye call me Lord and Master, all,
Yet I would humbly bow
And consecrate this lowly deed,