[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Different themes for CBF in Birmingham

Different themes for CBF in Birmingham

A forum for Cooperative Baptist Fellowship-related discussions.

Moderator: Neil Heath

Different themes for CBF in Birmingham

Postby Sandy » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:42 am

https://cbfblog.com/2019/06/10/carol-mc ... -assembly/

Not exactly the equivalent of becoming SBC President, CBF deliberately spread out the power that the SBC concentrates in its highest elected office but there is a clear statement from CBF in their choice of a moderator-elect. Carol McEntyre, the pastor of First Baptist Church of Columbia, Missouri will be selected for that position. That is an underline of a major difference between CBF and the "complementarian" SBC.

And no issues embedded in this piece from the CBF blog, just a personal "get to know" the guy who will serve as moderator at the Birmingham meeting.

https://cbfblog.com/2019/06/17/up-close ... moderator/

There's not been a lot of coverage about reaction to the Illimination Project. That's been sort of kept quiet, even though two state conventions pulled the plug on the direct pathway for giving to CBF through their state convention.

https://www.baptiststandard.com/news/ba ... aving-cbf/

https://www.baptiststandard.com/news/ba ... gifts-cbf/
Sandy

Re: Different themes for CBF in Birmingham

Postby Dave Roberts » Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:48 pm

"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:56 pm

Dave, did you mean to add anything, or just to repost what Sandy already said, without commenting?
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:55 pm

Sandy

Postby Haruo » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:14 pm

Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:40 am

This isn't brain surgery. By squandering the CP giving options in TX and VA the CBF is taking steps to hasten its demise. Such is not the fault of pressure from a few churches but can be directly traced to CBF's own decisions. In ten years what will we be seeing?

Big donors and grants make up a frightening portion of their national budget, one that is shrinking. But on the positive side, small organizations can be quite tenacious concerning their own survival.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:27 am

"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:43 am

William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:40 am

I can't speak to the BGCT, but in the BGAV, things were not so simple as just changing the address on the checks. To remain in good standing, BGAV churches have to select and file a giving plan. Than has meant that the church must vote on and accept a new plan and file it with the BGAV. I drew up a model for the paperwork for CBF churches to follow for doing this. The church action has to be submitted to the BGAV, or the church would go back to the WM-2 default plan. The confusion caused by this has been difficult for some churches, especially smaller ones or those with complicated financial plans linked to changes that had to be made. It's not as simple as it seems since BGAV provides the legal 501c-3 status for its member churches. Dropping contributions to the BGAV completely would mean the potential loss of 501c-3 exemptions from taxation, the acceptance of parsonage allowances, and the exemption from state and local taxation. I don't know how other state conventions other than NC work on this. Having been through the filing of a 501c-3 application for a non-profit shelter project and its state incorporation, I can assure you that most churches would throw up their hands at the fifty page application for the 501c-3.

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:02 pm

Sandy

Postby Dave Roberts » Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:49 pm

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:47 pm

I appreciate the detailed explanation of how BGAV handles donations. My point, feebly made perhaps, was that anything making it harder for churches to contribute to the CBF will result in less giving. I've never heard of a denial of a charitable contribution to a church being rejected by IRS because the church failed to maintain affiliation with the org that has the 501(c)3 cover letter. I'm sure there are simple workarounds for this in regard to churches the irs not being interested in making churches apply individually.

Whatever the details, it seems clear that actions by the BGCT and BGAV have transpired so as to cut cbf revenue.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:05 pm

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:26 pm

I have always wondered why those who want to depart from fellowship with anyone who might be supportive of LGBTQ folks never takes the rest of Romans 1, especially verses 29-31, as cause for disfellowshipping churches. Guess we are selective literalists or have condemned those who practice what we do not.

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:38 pm

William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:01 pm

William, coverage is based on being considered "in friendly cooperation" which is being translated into certain levels of support. The financial pressures on many state conventions have led to virtually empty headquarters buildings that now lease space to other agencies and ministries and still have lots of empty offices. I agree totally that it was a dumb move, and if I received one in any church, I would start the application to get my own approval without denominational support, a reality which community and independent churches have to do to grant tax exemptions, though I've not heard of any recent denials of deductions, even where the exemption has not been legally processed.

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:49 am

Sandy

Postby JE Pettibone » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:40 pm

Ed: Sandy, CBF historically has followed the advice of folk who have been actively supportive rather than critics who are continually critical from the sidelines. Keep in mind that a keyword in establishing a following has been flexibility something that is next to impossible in a huge layered top down empire.

I agree with you when you say " there are many more churches within CBF who would not be open to an affirming stance on LGBTQ issues than those which are" but I believe you are overly optimistic with, "and I'd say that for most of them, it's a deal breaker when it comes to affiliation." I and a number of Baptist object to supporting American Legion Post through Gambling operations and operating a Bar, however it is not a deal breaker for maintain our affiliation. For myself I continue to support most CBF partners through a single contribution however, I am inclined toward writing more checks and to distribute them our selves. BTW, the recipient of our largest contribution goes to an entity with Welcoming and Affirming Trustees and Administration.
JE Pettibone

Postby Dave Roberts » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:26 am

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:52 am

I witnessed one of the changes at the Wednesday night worship at CBF. I was seated three rows from the back near the center. Paul Baxley, the new CBF Executive Coordinator, was not on the program that night. I looked over to my left and about five rows in front of me. Baxley was 8 rows from the back simply joining in worship. He did not sit in the VIP seating up front but simply took a seat as one of the crowd. I was deeply impressed by his simple act to worship with the gathered assembly.

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby JE Pettibone » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:41 am

JE Pettibone

Postby Dave Roberts » Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:56 pm

William, I neglected to answer your question about the church I had referenced for that letter. They had given to the BGAV, but they had not given enough to achieve messenger status. Sorry I missed your question.

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Return to CBF Missions and Ministry Forum