[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - What's up for Birmingham?

What's up for Birmingham?

A forum for Cooperative Baptist Fellowship-related discussions.

Moderator: Neil Heath

What's up for Birmingham?

Postby Sandy » Tue May 07, 2019 9:23 pm

So, CBF will follow the SBC into Birmingham this summer. The city should be pretty appreciative of Baptists. Apparently, there are not many rooms available close to the convention center and one of them has a number of rooms that won't be available due to a maintenance issue. Birmingham isn't one of the places that comes to mind when I think of convention destinations. The only meetings I've attended in Alabama, all of them Baptist gatherings, were at Shocco Springs. I flew in and out of Birmingham, a small airport with not so great connections to anywhere unless it's Atlanta. I've driven through on the interstate, both 20 and 65. I've only been off the interstate there twice, once to go to a football game at Legion Field, a drive through a terrible neighborhood that made me think I was completely lost until there, looming ahead in the distance, was the football stadium. The other time was a short trip to eat at Dreamland Barbeque, an absolutely heavently place in a not so bad neighborhood. The interstates don't really give you a view of nice parts of town. But I digress...

I've heard very little about anything coming up at this year's CBF assembly. It's been very quiet following the announcement of Paul Baxley as exec coordinator. I haven't seen much discussion of anything in their publications or news releases. Since participants register individually and they don't have to be elected by their church they usually get a pretty decent turnout. Not that there's ever much controversy at the assemblies, they are usually pretty tightly controlled. Anyone here have any insights as to what is on their agenda?
Sandy

Re: What's up for Birmingham?

Postby Neil Heath » Thu May 09, 2019 12:04 pm

I would add that I've been told that every interstate bridge in the city is closed for repairs, etc. That will make getting around worse.

I have a hotel reservation that provides shuttle service to the meetings, but I will probably cancel it. 3 Nights will all the taxes and fees is just under $500. Then there's gas and food. That's pretty steep to see old friends for a few days.
Neil Heath
Neil Heath
Site Admin

Postby Rvaughn » Thu May 09, 2019 1:27 pm

Rvaughn

Postby Haruo » Thu May 09, 2019 10:28 pm

I think the only off-campus food experience I had in Birmingham was a visit to a shopping center food court near Samford where I had my only experience with Chick Fil A, not unpleasant, but nothing to make me want to switch from Burger King, Burger Town, and Taco Time; and Genki Sushi and the delis at Pete's and Marketime.
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Fri May 10, 2019 11:50 am

That bridge construction seems endless and happens just about every time I've gone through Birmingham. Last time, in 2010, it was at I-65 and I-20-59. Long backup getting through. We were moving and on our way to Pennsylvania. Well, that's an incentive to stay at the hotel near the convention center.

Dreamland Barbeque is worth the drive. It's in a relatively safe neighborhood and the food is fantastic.
Sandy

Postby Dave Roberts » Sat May 11, 2019 6:27 am

Most interesting thing I find about the Birmingham site is that the SBC and CBF are both using the same convention facility. Interesting that the SBC now fits in a facility that easily holds CBF. No more gigantic conventions.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Rvaughn » Sat May 11, 2019 12:04 pm

lists the registered messengers at the Southern Baptist Convention Annual Meeting over the past 50 years. A very discernible drop, but probably not anything unique to the SBC. For example, the non-SBC local association of the church I grew up in, over about the same period, has gone from a well-attended two-day meeting to a poorly attended morning-only session that doesn't even end with a meal. Any idea what the CBF registered attendance looks like?

1967 Miami Beach – 14,794
1968 Houston – 15,071
1969 New Orleans – 16,678
1970 Denver – 13,692
1971 St. Louis – 13,153
1972 Philadelphia – 13,153
1973 Portland – 8,871
1974 Dallas – 18,190
1975 Miami Beach – 16,421
1976 Norfolk – 18,637
1977 Kansas City – 16,271
1978 Atlanta – 22,872
1979 Houston – 15,947
1980 St. Louis – 13,844
1981 Los Angeles – 13,529
1982 New Orleans – 20,456
1983 Pittsburgh – 13,740
1984 Kansas City – 17,101
1985 Dallas – 45,519
1986 Atlanta – 40,987
1987 St. Louis – 25,607
1988 San Antonio – 32,727
1989 Las Vegas – 20,411
1990 New Orleans – 38,403
1991 Atlanta – 23,465
1992 Indianapolis – 17,956
1993 Houston – 17,768
1994 Orlando – 20,370
1995 Atlanta – 20,654
1996 New Orleans – 13,706
1997 Dallas – 12,420
1998 Salt Lake – 8,585
1999 Atlanta – 11,608
2000 Orlando – 11,959
2001 New Orleans – 9,584
2002 St. Louis – 9,609
2003 Phoenix – 7,015
2004 Indianapolis – 8,600
2005 Nashville – 11,641
2006 Greensboro – 11,639
2007 San Antonio – 8,630
2008 Indianapolis – 7,277
2009 Louisville – 8,795
2010 Orlando – 11,075
2011 Phoenix – 4,852
2012 New Orleans – 7,874
2013 Houston – 5,103
2014 Baltimore – 5,298
2015 Columbus – 5,407
2016 St. Louis – 7,321
2017 Phoenix – 5,018 (unofficial)
Rvaughn

Postby Dave Roberts » Sat May 11, 2019 2:19 pm

Most CBF meetings seem to average from 2,00 to 3,500, depending on the location.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby JE Pettibone » Sat May 11, 2019 8:06 pm

JE Pettibone

Postby Rvaughn » Sat May 11, 2019 8:27 pm

Rvaughn

Postby Sandy » Sun May 12, 2019 10:13 am

It's a different generation now. Meetings requiring travel and long periods of "sit and listen" for church or denominational business are not as popular as they once were.

The moderates who controlled the SBC prior to 1979 registered and attended the convention in numbers larger than their actual constituency in the churches because they were there to keep the trustee boards stacked in their favor and maintain control of the entities and seminaries. When conservatives began their effort to gain control, they gathered a constituency that had largely given up on convention participation because they felt shut out by the same old people rotating around the committees and boards and never got anywhere It took an effort to turn out more messengers from that constituency than had been coming before 1979, and then sustaining that turnout for at least a decade to make any progress in changing the makeup of the boards and committees and replacing the entrenched bureaucracy, So convention attendance soared to the point where only a handful of cities had facilities to host an SBC meeting. Once the conservatives had control and were able to maintain their convention majorities, the moderates dropped out of their once robust attendance.

By comparison, CBF does not limit the number of individuals from any single church who can register for the assembly. But from what I've observed, there's far less "business" in a CBF assembly and a lot more speechmaking and breakout sessions. Not much to vote on there and since the last time I attended one, even less under the new organization where the coordinating council conducts most of the business. In the SBC, the most messengers any church can send is 10, based on a combination of their Cooperative Program support and their total membership. Most churches, even smaller ones, qualify for the max. The numbers go down when the conventions are held in places that are further away from Dixieland so the numbers are lower in places like Phoenix, Indianapolis or Columbus.
Sandy

Postby Haruo » Sun May 12, 2019 11:58 am

I attended the last half an hour or 45 minutes of the Evergreen Regional board meeting yesterday. It was interesting. Lots of involvement by Burmese and Hispanic folks. The main (and rather depressing) topic for the time I was there was about the imminent closing of FBC Palo Alto. Depressing but also very interesting, and apparently it means there will soon be a place for a church plant.

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby JE Pettibone » Sun May 12, 2019 1:02 pm

JE Pettibone

Postby JE Pettibone » Sun May 12, 2019 1:06 pm

JE Pettibone

Postby Haruo » Sun May 12, 2019 6:34 pm

Yeah, not sure why I apparently posted that in CBF...

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby JE Pettibone » Mon May 13, 2019 9:08 am

Ed:for those concerned about driving in Birmingham, I last drove there in December of 2016, when we attended the Birmingham Bowl..Avoiding the interstate in and around the city.was no problem, of course I knew the basic layout from my days as a student at Howard College (now Samford University) when there was NO interstate, Buy a city map and use your GPS and you should be fine.
JE Pettibone

Postby KeithE » Thu May 16, 2019 9:03 pm

Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:20 am

My plans are to be at CBF Convention on Friday June 21 (drive down early and back late, Ann does not want to go). Stephen, if you want to go, I will swing by Collinsville at about 8:00 am on Friday and return you there Friday night. I’ll hang out at Resource Fair, possibly Business Session in the morning and Faith Lessons/Workshops in the afternoon. I will also play in the golf tournament on June 19 at Limestone Springs (between Huntsville and Birmingham).

The Longest Day bridge tournament is on June 20 in Huntsville (event fees go to Alzheimer's Association). June 18 is my birthday (69).

Busy week.
Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Return to CBF Missions and Ministry Forum