[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Denominational leader Jimmy Allen dies

Denominational leader Jimmy Allen dies

A forum for Cooperative Baptist Fellowship-related discussions.

Moderator: Neil Heath

Denominational leader Jimmy Allen dies

Postby Rvaughn » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:03 am

Rvaughn

Re: Denominational leader Jimmy Allen dies

Postby William Thornton » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:09 pm

I copied this to this forum.

My brother lives in SSI and had some business interaction with JA. When my brother volunteered that his brother was an SBC pastor, Jimmy insisted on saying hello (we never met) and sent me a picture of he and his wife.

He was before my time. The last moderate SBC president and had a resume comparable or superior to most any Baptist. Although he opposed the CR, his way was much superior to the angry tone of Dilday, the Shermans, and Chafin.

RIP.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby JE Pettibone » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:59 pm

Last edited by JE Pettibone on Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JE Pettibone

Postby Rvaughn » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:11 pm

Rvaughn

Postby William Thornton » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:31 pm

William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:54 pm

I got to hear Rev. Allen speak some years ago. I'm sorry to hear about his passing.
Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby JE Pettibone » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:40 pm

JE Pettibone

Postby William Thornton » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:10 pm

BP has a nice obit. I'll link it later.

Was one of the more accomplished SBC Presidents.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Heard him preach in 1980 at FBC Knoxville

Postby Stephen Fox » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:19 pm

And spoke to him on couple occasions during convocations after the Takeover.

His work with New Baptist Covenant with President Carter is one of his greater legacies.

My Dad was at the 76 Convention in Atlanta, a good year for Baptists, on the Eve of the Carter Presidency when Allen was elected.

Thornton is mistaken about Chafin, Dilday and Cecil Sherman but we'll take that up later.

I mean do you make pretty with the Birchers and the White Citizens Councils. What did Jesus do in the temple. He wrecked the place and threw the money changers out. Chafin and Sherman were Christ Imitators.
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Postby Rvaughn » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:01 pm

Not trying to jump ahead of William, but in case he forgot -- perhaps this is the obit his mentioned:
Rvaughn

Re: Heard him preach in 1980 at FBC Knoxville

Postby JE Pettibone » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:26 pm

JE Pettibone

Return to CBF Missions and Ministry Forum