[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - The Memo

The Memo

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: Jon Estes

The Memo

Postby Stephen Fox » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:36 pm

Here is a note I left on the facebook wall of the Greenwood SC Index Journal, the hometown paper of Congressman Jeff Duncan who made the cable clip at the SOTU asking Donald Dump about the Memo: Quoting myself:

I had a chat this morning with a DC STaffer for Congressman Jeff Duncan. I told him I had left a message with the Greenwood native and fellow Furman grad Tomiko Brown-Nagin encouraging her to submit a letter to the Index Journal re Duncan and his infamous clip at the State of the Union about The Memo. Two of Brown-Nagin's colleagues in the History department at Harvard have written a recently published work how Democracy Dies. It puts Donald Trump--I would add Duncan and his Freedom Caucus--in a long list of nefarious demagogues who have got us to this moment of the Fox News mendacity and unraveling of our institutions. Duncan is in league with Pitchford Ben Tillman, Wallace before he was shot, Huey Long, Father Coughlin, Joe McCarthy and others. So Greenwood, be proud of your congressman. Have a group read of this book. It is an easy google for NPR Fresh Air where the authors were interviewed last week......I hope Tomiko Brown-Nagin chmies in Soon!!!!
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Re: The Memo

Postby William Thornton » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:39 pm

They should be investigating Fox...
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Rvaughn » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:53 pm

Here is the memo:
Rvaughn

Postby Jon Estes » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:01 am

The memo brings support to a lot of what is been talked about but not much new.

That the FBI says what it contains is factual is important. It may be missing some context, we really do not know.
Living in Dubai for that which I was purposed
Jon Estes

Postby Sandy » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:28 am

The memo turned out to be much ado about nothing, at least as far as the claims of the Trump administration against the FBI. What it did do was confirm that the FBI's investigation into possible collusion had more than one source, was legitimate, and actually originated with Papadopoulous, prior to the dossier. It's pretty clear that Trump wants to try to shut down the Mueller investigation, but he can't, because a direct move would initiate his impreachment, even among the mindless party line Republicans in Congress now. No wonder Hope Hicks, and some of his other close advisors, were working so hard to try to keep this memo from being released. And now they've got Carter Page exchanging testimony for immunity, or at least, cutting some kind of deal.

I think Senator McCain's evaluation was right on target.
Sandy

Postby Jim » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:04 am

Political Treachery

He read the famous memo, thought
That nothing cheaper could be wrought
And wondered if stupidity
Or deep-seated venality
Or hatred on enormous scale
Had driven those beyond the pale
Of larceny to such degree –
A travesty of decency.

The opposition candidate
All pollsters claimed inadequate
And had no chance to win the race,
That if he should meant great disgrace;
But top honchos named in memo
In former prexy's status quo
Still felt the need to sink their foe,
Used subterfuge...thus, truth forgo.

And so they used false document
To fool a court, with grim intent
To wiretap friend of opponent
Without his knowledge or consent;
A warrant based on subterfuge...
A legal violation, huge,
Was issued for this travesty –
Exquisite form of treachery.

What then must one conclude about
This vile attempt the laws to flout
Except that opportunists screw
The Constitution through and through
Since Fourth Amendment makes it plain
That privacy is one's domain
And must not suffer detriment,
Especially by government.

JLC
03 February 2018
Jim

Postby Tim Bonney » Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:23 pm

Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Rvaughn » Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:30 pm

If I find myself agreeing with John McCain, I will never admit it! :D
Rvaughn

Postby Jim » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:21 pm

Jim

Postby Haruo » Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:07 am

Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:20 pm

Sandy

Postby Rvaughn » Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:45 pm

Rvaughn

If not Thornton

Postby Stephen Fox » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:42 pm

Certainly his tribe is named implicitly in this article; pretty much spot on

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/op ... 99143ef141
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Re: If not Thornton

Postby Sandy » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:02 am

Sandy

Re: If not Thornton

Postby Jon Estes » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:11 pm

Living in Dubai for that which I was purposed
Jon Estes

Postby Haruo » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:24 pm

Yeah, Two BOOK NAME is a perfectly legitimate variant of Second BOOK NAME. It sounds silly to people who have been raised in the latter dialect, but these are seriously just dialectal variants. In Sacred Harp we call the tune OLD HUNDRED, and if I slip and say OLD HUNDREDTH folks without a roundnote hymnal background look at me like what?

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Rvaughn » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:06 pm

Rvaughn

Postby Haruo » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:15 pm

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:18 pm

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:20 pm

Here's a PDF of . And here's an mp3 of .

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Rvaughn » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:50 pm

The new 2012 Cooper added the "Praise God" text so we would have a second stanza (and I guess they just decided to use one they thought everyone was already familiar with).
Rvaughn

Return to Politics and Public Policy Issues