[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Advent candles

Advent candles

Open discussion on general Baptist-related topics of interest to Baptists around the world.

Moderator: Dave Roberts

Advent candles

Postby Chris » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:25 am

How does your church choose the families that will light the advent candles? In the past 50 years, I have been a member of 4 different Baptist churches. I have never been asked to light a candle during Advent. Currently, my wife does not attend the church I attend, which may be why I am not considered. Even when we did attend the same church, we were never asked. I have a feeling that the families that put the most money in the plates are the ones that are so honored. Let me know if your church has another way of picking the candle lighters. If the Youth Minister is preaching on a particular December Sunday, does a "youth" light the candle? {I dont have a problem with that, I just thought I'd mention it}.
Jesus paid the price for me and everybody.
Chris

Re: Advent candles

Postby Haruo » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:35 pm

I have no input on the subject, but I reposted the question on Evergreen's FB group and will copy any responses here. (A) BL.com is not a secure site and (B) the Evergreen group is a closed group, so for two reasons direct linking is impossible.
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Rvaughn » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:50 am

I can't give any input, since I've never been in any church that had advent candles. It is dismal that this might be tied to repaying big givers!
Rvaughn

Postby Tim Bonney » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:18 am

Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Jon Estes » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:33 am

I have always chosen a variety of people/persons...

- A family to do it together
- A single parent
- A senior adult (single or married)
- A military person or family

I try to choose people who are active and faithful. I have never considered the money thing because I don't know who does and who doesn't.

We don't do it here because many cultures have no idea what it is and I don't see it as a necessary to start.

TIC alert - I'm concerned someone will get mad at me for not asking them.
Living in Dubai for that which I was purposed
Jon Estes

Postby JE Pettibone » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:51 am

Ed: I have been in several Churches that utilize Advent Candles and have observed no pattern in the choosing who does the lighting. I believe that the pastor or other staff person responsible for worship planing makes the choices. When my youngest son was about ten years old he and I where selected to light one of the candles. At the time I was a leader in the adult singles ministry, and my son who lived with his mother, generally attended church with me.
I assume we where selected to validate the churches acceptance of single adults and their children. All elements of each worship service in that church where well reasoned. BTW, at that point in time I am quite sure I was not among those with the most money.
Last edited by JE Pettibone on Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JE Pettibone

Postby Haruo » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:52 am

Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Chris » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:51 pm

Thank you,Haruo, for sharing all of these answers.
Chris

Postby Sandy » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:49 pm

I've seen it done different ways. When we belonged to a CBF congregation, they had families do it each week, and they had each family who wanted to do it put their name in a box, and each wee they drew a different one. At another church, which called its small groups and classes "Biblical communities," there was a rotation and each community selected someone to light the candles. At the school, during chapel, a student from each grade, 9-12 is selected at random each week. They're already lit when the elementary kids come in.
Sandy

Postby Chris » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:53 pm

I think random is appropriate.
Chris

Postby Tim Bonney » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:27 pm

Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:25 am

Where I have been involved, we seek out folks who didn't do it last year, those with a variety of situations, and a variety of ages. This year, we are using two families and two coed adult Sunday School classes that have a number of people in them who are not attached to others in a family grouping.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Return to Baptist Faith & Practice Forum