[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - The Republican Jesus

The Republican Jesus

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: Jon Estes

The Republican Jesus

Postby Dave Roberts » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:55 am

I guess this pretty well sums up what we are seeing in health care and in Puerto Rico.

"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Re: The Republican Jesus

Postby William Thornton » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:26 pm

Cheap shot nonsense.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby David Flick » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:31 am

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby Jon Estes » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:03 am

Living in Dubai for that which I was purposed
Jon Estes

Postby Sandy » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:32 am

Well, you got three frumped-up frownies to fire back, and given who they are, you hit the nail on the head.

:thumb: :lol:

It's really tough, if you want to stand on an inerrant, infallible Bible, to deny who Jesus is, so you have to hope no one actually looks it up. They know better, but tweets have trumped scripture, and politics have trumped theology, and the Jesus of the scriptures is different than the Jesus that has trumped him.
Sandy

Postby William Thornton » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:05 pm

Alliterative tour-de-force

:lol:
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Rvaughn » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:21 pm

Not sure which verse that is a parody of -- the one where Jesus told the government to do those things, or individual Christians?
Rvaughn

Postby KeithE » Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:21 pm

Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:03 pm

Sandy

Postby Dave Roberts » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:19 am

I always find it amusing that we all put Jesus in our camp. If so, then Jesus is a conservative/liberal/moderate. I suspect the truth is that he was all of these things------and so much more. If Jesus doesn't convict us in our direction, our politics, our attitudes toward government, toward riches and poverty, and in every other area, then there is a good chance we are manufacturing our own Jesus.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:18 pm

It's interesting, isn't it, that all we know about Jesus comes from the New Testament, and most of the content that involves eyewitness accounts comes from three of the four gospels that are, when put together, a really thin book of about 100 pages, and the rest of it is found in the commentary left by a few other authors, John and Peter, James, Paul, one not known. We are taught in church how to follow the standard interpretations in order to develop a perspective of Jesus through our pastors and professors and their commentary. We're two thousand years plus away from the time when Jesus walked the earth, and I'm pretty sure that the image we have of him is a cultural distortion. There are some authors, Phillip Yancey comes to mind, Robert Funk, Marcus Borg, who do a good job of filtering out the cultural overlay, and make an honest attempt to identify Jesus through the scripture. But they all admit that it's not an easy job given what's been written, and that the Jesus we think we understand is not the one that you find if you simply put the scriptures together without the cultural baggage that comes with it. So if you accept the premises of an inerrant, infallible Bible, then you have to accept the thought that what's there is all we need to know and if that's the conclusion, then he is the criterion by which the rest of scripture is interpreted.

That changes everything. For starters, it means that the "Kingdom of God" includes a whole lot more people than the modern church thinks it does, and the definition of knowing and following Jesus is much broader, and wider, and more accepting than we make it out to be.
Sandy

Postby Jon Estes » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:54 pm

Jon Estes

Postby Haruo » Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:02 am

Yeah, let's put a proof text that has the potential to justify all manner of slander and denigration and discrimination against some of the least of these, our brethren through Christ, in as big loud typeface as we can!
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:36 am

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:38 am

So, Jon, I would assume, from your literalistic prooftexting of one verse (taken out of context) that you are a conscientious objector to social security and medicare. Ordained ministers can do that. And you've duly refunded to the government any benefit you have ever received by using infrastructure, including electricity, water, highways, educational expenses (hope you didn't take a Pell grant, or attend a state college or university, or a public school ever in your life), and you refunded the difference for any medical care you received at a community or municipal hospital, or you paid back the subsidized cost of services at a church-owned and operated hospital. You've paid back the subsidized share of a student loan, you didn't use any FHA or VA benefit when you bought a house and if you did, you paid the bank back the subsidized interest rate.

I think we need to note here that when Paul wrote this to Timothy, the Christian church was still largely a communal organization (similar to what was recorded in Jerusalem in the first few chapters of Acts) and being part of the local body of believers included taking care of your own family, in addition to providing for the needs of the church, which cared for the "widows and orphans." Paul is making a distinction between widows who had no extended family responsible for their care according to custom, and those who had a family member that could provide for them. The church took responsibility for providing for all of its faithful members who, under the circumstances of the culture in which they lived, could not provide for themselves, and Paul was especially keen on making sure that those who were elderly were not forgotten. Jon's singled out one verse that can't be interpreted in context standing alone. The early church was communal, and it was a "welfare state" in the sense that it took resources from those who had much, and used them to care for virtually all of its constituents who had nothing.
Sandy

Postby KeithE » Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:37 am

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:13 pm

Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:20 pm

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Jon Estes » Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:48 pm

Jon Estes

Postby Sandy » Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:52 pm

Sandy

Postby KeithE » Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:16 pm

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Jon Estes » Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:56 am

Keith,

My argument is not against liberals here. It is pro scripture.

Liberal or not - to deny the Bible teaches this, denies the Bible.

If people want to give their money to lazy people - let them. Just don't ask for mine.

To make a political comment (of sorts). Many people say the immigrants are here to take the jobs US citizens won't take. That says a lot about the lazy man who refuses to do a certain legal work because it is ___________________ (you fill in the blank).

I've done labor jobs and I'll do them again if I needed. Shouldn't Christian men want to be the type of man God wants from the Christian husband/father?

If God says doing less is the actions of an infidel - I say our Father knows best.
Jon Estes

Postby KeithE » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:56 am

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Jon Estes » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:59 am

Jon Estes

Postby KeithE » Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:18 pm

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Next

Return to Politics and Public Policy Issues