[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Phyliss Schlafly key ally in Fundy SBC Takeover, is Dead

Phyliss Schlafly key ally in Fundy SBC Takeover, is Dead

The place to discuss four centuries of Baptist history and heritage, from Thomas Helwys and Roger Williams to the present.

Moderator: Bruce Gourley

Tom Edsall affirms Stephen Fox History

Postby Stephen Fox » Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:19 pm

With a nailer of a quote from my friend Randall Balmer.

More back story with reference to Atlanta SBC of 86 later

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/15/opini ... eft-region
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Re: Phyliss Schlafly key ally in Fundy SBC Takeover, is Dead

Postby Sandy » Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:06 pm

Sandy

Postby William Thornton » Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:35 pm

Stephen Fox is rumored to be a rogue AI bot who wanders among blogs gathering and expunging random names based on an unknown algorithm that grew out of a weird combination of real and pseudo-religiopolitical characters.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Forgive me William

Postby Stephen Fox » Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:54 pm

but I am going with Tim Bonney the Methodist boom quote for my blog when hopefully this afternoon I register this bl.com moment for the ages. Good try but Bonney Tim's "Boom" quote has the most punch, just a better line.

I will link this thread for the 3,027 people who clicked on my blog in June and others that may want to take a peak.

I like you fellows, but it troubles me that in the face of all the evidence--and I have done the bibliography before--you remain so stubborn in denial of the Pressler Helms and Yes Schafly network that colluded and were the driving force in the Takeover.

Hope you all read Balmer's Quote. It is definitive.

Look for Hillary Clinton to possibly make reference to Helms as the father of Deplorable Trumpism spotlighting NC as poster child of where the underbelly of the SBC Takeover has strongest legacy.

Hope yall listen to online chat at drshow.org today about New Af Am Museum in DC. It was Jesse Helms of the Pressler takeover who was the strongest and last naysayer to fall trying to stop the Museum. You boys be proud and own your ignorance and blindness.

Otherwise, God Bless you.

Stephen Fox

Postby Tim Bonney » Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:04 pm

Well Stephen, even if we disagree about a connection between Schlafly and Pressler, as she is now dead she shouldn't trouble us any more. Nor can she connect up with Helms except maybe in heaven or maybe in a much more southerly region of the universe if she isn't going to heaven. :lol:
Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

History will decide

Postby Stephen Fox » Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:08 pm

Whether or not Bonney, Sandy and Thornton deserved the platform of my notorious blog.

It's out of my hands now.

For better or worse, fellows, you are part of a new plane for posterity

http://foxofbama.blogspot.com/2016/09/r ... n-and.html

Stephen Fox

Postby Sandy » Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:59 pm

Well, I wasn't going to comment, but after leaving a note on his blog, and getting a "would like to respond but gotta go" reply, I decided to go ahead and post here.

I didn't have to cite Randal Balmer, or Molly Worthen, as sources to point out the fact that the lifelong Catholic, Phyllis Schlafly, was never involved in, nor cared about, the conservative resurgence in the Southern Baptist Convention. She spent most of her time focused on the work of Eagle Forum, which she developed to promote her women's agenda. She would have welcomed support from the conservative SBC leaders, but wouldn't have wasted her time or resources on a battle for control of a denomination to which she didn't belong.

Jesse Helms was indeed a Southern Baptist, and he was a cantankerous, loud, and often obnoxious member of the Senate. He was a rabid, extremist right winger who was often portrayed as a bigot and a hypocrite when it came to his Christian faith, because he didn't seem to hide genuine hatred for those with whom he disagreed, or with those he didn't like. But other than sharing an extremist right wing political ideology with some of the SBC's conservative leaders, that's about it. A lot of Southern Baptists, whether they are calvinist or non-calvinist, moderate, liberal, conservative or fundamentalist in their theology, are political conservatives. A lot of Southern Baptists in North Carolina are moderates, with the state convention there having about a third of all the churches affiliated with CBF. Helms attended and taught Sunday School in the Hayes-Barton Baptist Church, affiliated with CBF, and was a graduate of Wingate College and Wake Forest, both on the "A" list of moderate Baptist supported institutions. I can find no evidence that he ever served as a messenger to the SBC, though if he'd come from Hayes Barton, he'd have likely been opposed to conservative resurgence leadership.

If I had any further interest in reading yet another book about the conservative resurgence/alleged "takeover" of the SBC, it wouldn't come from an outside source like Randall Balmer or Molly Worthen. It would come from someone who was there, and was a Southern Baptist, which makes them instantly more credible than a non-SBC sociologist observation from well outside the ring.
Sandy

To which the following would reply to Sandy

Postby Stephen Fox » Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:27 pm

HORSEPOOP:

Randall Balmer

James Dunn who spent ten years and more fighting Helms and his minions including Eagle Forum's Albert Lee Smith and the Helms attempts to control the Baptist Joint Committee as part of the Council for National Policy vendetta against Dunn and Jimmy Allen and their support of Jimmy Carter, which that Bircher network could not stand.

Molly Worthen

Joe Ferguson, in fact has a chapter on Helms and the SBC In Hard Right

Ellen Rosenberg

Bill Moyers

Robert Wuthnow

Furman religion Department past and present particularly Helen Lee Turner who knew Helms operative Sam Currin.

Tom Edsall as he did last weekend in NY Times

Charles Marsh and his Father Robert

Randall Lolley and Bill Self

Cecil Sherman and UNC Chancellor Bill Friday which I often reference on my blog

And the oft mentioned BX 6400's if there are any other questions left unanswered

Stephen Fox

Postby Sandy » Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:50 am

Sandy

Postby Tim Bonney » Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:38 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:49 am

Sandy

Postby Tim Bonney » Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:13 am

And does it make any difference any longer to argue about why the Takeover/Resurgence happened? As you've said Sandy, it is history now. The SBC is what it is now, not what it was 30 or 40 years ago. I've pretty much decided not to argue about it any more.
Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:04 am

Sandy

Postby Tim Bonney » Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:13 am

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Furman and the Case Against Trey Gowdy

Postby Stephen Fox » Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:26 pm

I am working on part Two of a Blog I have posted on the facebook wall, link, at Furman's facebook wall. For all the reasons I post in that blog the fundy takeover of the SBC still matters and has significant reverberations.

Sandy is simply wrong, out to lunch, willfully ignorant about the many ways Phyliss Schlafly underpinned, collaborated with Pressler and Helms network to the backward politics of the fundy leadership that were central to Pressler and his inner circle SBC Takeover designs.

I am glad Bonney is at peace. I too think he will find Worthen a worthwhile read and will see how Francis Schaeffer helped underwrite a mindset that abetted Helms and Pressler politics in the takeover. Randall Balmer of Dartmouth has said as much and Wuthnow hinted for all but the most feeble minded.

I do wish Dr. Bruce Gourley would engage here and help settle the dust for Sandy one more time.

Stephen Fox

Dan Williams, GOP as God's Own Party/Schlafly sequence

Postby Stephen Fox » Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:46 pm

I doubt Lee Saunders ever will admit defeat in this conversation about the interweaving of Schlafly to the fundamentalist takeover, but here is stark as it gets.

After posting this about three weeks ago, I reread in the last few days Dan Williams book of about ten years ago. Had forgotten his sterling sequence in one chapter where he devotes about five pages each to the following in this order: Francis Schaeffer 2. Phyliss Schafly and 3. The fundamentalist takeover of the Southern Baptist Convention.

Sandy is welcome to read at his convenience. And I am in all deliberate speed bringing this to the attention of the Anatomy of a Schism Campbell Reed SBWIM folks to see if they evaluate all this like I have and Williams with a fair minded reading.

The Schaeffer segment is nuanced. Sandy will like that; but I think Roger Olsen review of Worthen shuts the coffin on him as a "charlatan."

Stephen Fox

Postby Sandy » Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:27 pm

I'm betting that the book you mention doesn't make the claim, or provide any evidence that either Schaeffer or Schlafly did anything specific to facilitate the conservative resurgence in the SBC. Allies in either the conservative, Evangelical movement, or on specific social issues of interest to right wing causes, yes. But putting forth effort or influence to determine who would be in charge of the SBC, no. That they both influenced many Southern Baptists, including leaders, with their perspectives on Reconstructionism, and on the anti-ERA movement, but they were not active allies in any attempt to change the leadership of the Southern Baptist Convention. Citing a book that happens to mention all three is not evidence. In order to be allies, you'd have to point to specific places, times and remarks that were made which create a link to anyone in the convention they knew for the express purpose of bringing influence to bear on behalf of any of the individuals who ran for SBC president after 1979. When you do that, then I'll "admit defeat." Not a hit and run, or a name drop in a reference, or the fact that some author might have given random mention to the two of them, and the resurgence leadership in the pages of the same book, but actual evidence of a conversation, or letter, or something tangible which proves that they did something to become involved.
Sandy

Is Bruce Gourley "tangible"?

Postby Stephen Fox » Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:13 pm

Would love for him to jump in on this

Randall Balmer and the list above including the membership of the Council for National Policy is tangible enough for me and the overwhelming majority of the BX 6400's

Stephen Fox

Edsall March 31 Take on Trump NY Times

Postby Stephen Fox » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:34 am

Stephen Fox

Jill Lepore spotlights Schafly

Postby Stephen Fox » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:39 am

in a New history of America. See the Q and A in Newsweek

Stephen Fox

Jill Lepore on Schlafly

Postby Stephen Fox » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:41 pm

In her magnificent new history These Truths, Jill devotes the chapter Battle Lines to Schlafly.

Read it as close as your nearest Barnes and Noble

Stephen Fox

Previous

Return to Baptist History and Heritage