[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Should SBC profs be fired for not teaching strhse tithing?

Should SBC profs be fired for not teaching strhse tithing?

Discuss current news and trends taking place in the Southern Baptist Convention.

Moderator: William Thornton

Re: Should SBC profs be fired for not teaching strhse tithing?

Postby Big Daddy Weaver » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:27 pm

Timothy, I too had never heard those terms together - "storehouse tithing" until just recently.

I did a search of the WorldCat database which is the most comprehensive database out there (that I'm aware of). It turned up 13 books related to "storehouse tithing" Most of the titles were published in the 1950s and 1960s by publishers like Sword of the Lord and Nazarene Publications.

According to a book published by respected sociologists Christian Smith and Michael Emerson, The Wesleyan Church uses the phrase "storehouse tithing" in their official document describing Wesleyan beliefs related to financial giving.
My book:
My Baptists Today column:
My blog:
Big Daddy Weaver

Postby Mark » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:35 am

Mark

Postby David Flick » Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:38 am

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby David Flick » Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:51 am

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby David Flick » Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:54 am

To me, this is an exceedingly interesting thread. Count me as one agreeing with my cross town neighbor and fellow Oklahoman, Wade Burleson.
. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:12 am

In the Broadman and Modern Hymnals was this hymn titled "Trust, Try, and Prove Me."

Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse,
All your money, talents, time and love;
Consecrate them all upon the altar;
While your Saviour from above speaks sweetly.

Trust Me, try Me, prove Me, saith the Lord of hosts and see
If a blessing, unmeasured blessing,
I will not pour out on thee.
(Copyright 1928 by Charles Gabriel)

That may be the most used stewardship hymn in the South in the 1930's through the 1950's.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:16 am

Ed: I am agast to hear that neither TIm Bonney nor Aaron Weaver have read Malachi 3:10. :wink:

But on the other hand, I was born into and raised (until 19) in the Nazarene denomination. Storehouse tithing was just one of the teachings of that sect that I had problems with. It does seem a bit strange to me that so many "New Testament" Baptist are so quick to insist on an OT based practice.

But yet, as I said the other day in another thread, Trudy and I do tithe through our church (ABC-USA) and give to other Christian causes above that; Ie: the distinction between tithes and offerings.

And of course it was be pretty as a CBFer in SBC churchs to advocate the practice of storehouse tithing. :)

To sum up I am comfortable with storehouse tithing , as long as I have confidence in the storehouse managers.
Last edited by Ed Pettibone on Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ed Pettibone

Postby peter_lumpkins » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:38 am

Dear Wade,

:? Sorry. I speak only one language--West Georgia Redneckese. Therefore, I haven't a clue what you just wrote. I did pick-up a tinge of self-perceived, messianic drawl in it though.

Mr Parker,

Your comment clearly demonstrates the depth of your ignorance concerning Les and my relationship. I suggest you stick to commenting on things concerning which you have something sane to say. :thumb:

With that, I am...
Peter
peter_lumpkins

Postby Mark » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:17 am

Mark

Postby Wade Burleson » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:17 am

The world is too dangerous to live in - not because of the people who do evil but because of the people who sit and let it happen.

Albert Einstein
Wade Burleson

Postby Big Daddy Weaver » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:37 am

Mark,

Does your agreement mean that you affirm the practice of publishing private e-mails? That is, after all, one of two issues being discussed here.

I don't have some monolithic perspective on Wade Burleson. I largely agree with what he has written against Les' fundamentalism. I just don't agree with the tactic in this instance. Considering your response to Foxy in the past when he's invoked your last name, I'm sure you also share privacy concerns, probably at a greater level than I do. We shouldn't use a person's private e-mail in this manner, right?
My book:
My blog:
Big Daddy Weaver

Postby Mark » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:44 am

Mark

Postby Big Daddy Weaver » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:47 am

My book:
My blog:
Big Daddy Weaver

Postby Mark » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:00 pm

Mark

Postby Big Daddy Weaver » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:39 pm

My book:
My blog:
Big Daddy Weaver

Postby Big Daddy Weaver » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:43 pm

All this drama surrounding Les Puryear brings attention to another important issue - the increasingly tense relationship between Southern Baptists and Academic Freedom - a freedom which is already extremely limited in SBC life and apparently folks like Les would like to suppress that freedom to a greater extent...
My book:
My blog:
Big Daddy Weaver

Postby Mark » Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:05 pm

Mark

Postby William Thornton » Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:56 pm

In my experience "storehouse tithing" has always been used as an allegedly biblical bludgeon with which to pummel church members into giving the full tithe to their local church, and not anything else.

Maybe Stetzer should do a survey. I'm guessing that a minority of Baptists (though perhas a majority of pastors, who know self-interest when they see it) believe in storehouse tithing.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:10 pm

My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:39 pm

I have always loved the story about Dr. Henlee Barnette at SBTS. A pastor in the South wrote the Dr. Duke McCall, SBTS President, warning him that if he didn't fire Dr. Barnette for his stands on race, their church would not be sending any more money to SBTS. Dr. Barnette did some research on the giving of the church, computed what they had given to the CP through their state convention, took the percentage that reached the SBC, then took the percentage again of what SBTS received, and sent the pastor back all of their contributions from the previous year that came to the seminary. He always relished telling that he gathered the total and put it in the envelope and sent it. The total was $0.31.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Ed Wallen checks in

Postby Stephen Fox » Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:07 pm

"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Re: Ed Wallen checks in

Postby Mark » Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:25 pm

Mark

Palinesque??/Ain't Wade's First Rodeo

Postby Stephen Fox » Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:48 pm

More you explore Chadwick Ivester, Rodeo is a multilayerd Pun

http://chadwickivester.com/2008/02/04/f ... son-story/

Well the fundies ain't all dour, now are they; you see where Puryear was the first to comment on this blog
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Previous

Return to SBC News and Trends