Will Land ask Tebow To Stand Down in Colorado?

Discuss current news and trends taking place in the Southern Baptist Convention.

Moderator: William Thornton

Will Land ask Tebow To Stand Down in Colorado?

Postby Stephen Fox » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:02 am

http://www.religiondispatches.org/dispa ... pam_tebow/

See the link above. Pam Tebow's abortion ad outflanks Richard Land and Timohty George's eggregious ERLC abortion pamphlet where they not only maligned SBTS proff Paul Simmons but made a travesty of Bonhoeffer's Confessing Church in Germany of the 30's.

I am hoping Charles Marsh with his writings on Civil Rights and Bonhoeffer can speak to Land andGeorge and Charles Pickering and Pam Tebow in the wake of his bio of DB next fall.

In the meantime, let's see how Land speaks to Pam Tebow's ad.

It appears the ghosts of Jesse Helms and the politics of Paul Pressler are having their final say about Martin Luther King and the Civil Rights Movement. It's as if the Birch Communism moniker didn't attach, so with the Tea Party they are saying Our Baby Trumps Your Negro.

I guess we shall see.

Watch the video

Pray for Pam Tebow. If you know her see if maybe she will watch the God and Caesar segment of PBS God In America

And or have her and Richard Land have a conference call with KarenGormley and see if Ms. Gormley may help them polish their convictions when it comes to parsing the Politics of Abortion

Or it may be as Paige Patterson aspired, it will go over as well as The Inerrancy thing.
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Re: Will Land ask Tebow To Stand Down in Colorado?

Postby Sandy » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:09 am

If I remember correctly, the right wing social agenda, including the pro-life issue as part of it, began at the beginning of Reagan's first term. Reagan was the President who was going to help legislate the entire agenda into place. He and his campaign handlers made a huge deal out of the Religious Roundtable (remember Ed McAteer?) and his now famous line, "I know you can't endorse me, but I endorse you," whatever that meant. I always thought it was interesting that a man who rarely if ever attended church, who had no known record of any kind of profession of faith, or practice of one, could suddenly be turned into the religious right's poster President for religious reform.

Evaluating what the Republican party, and the subsequent politicians who have had numerous chances to enact a whole segment of the right wing social agenda, have done in this regard, well, where's the accountability? There is almost nothing to show for all of the years of Republican domination and religious right activism. Reagan was in office eight years, had a senate majority for six of those years, strongarmed the house and pushed through ever point of his economic agenda, but somehow never managed to accomplish anything related to the social agenda of the religious right, in fact, never even introduced anything. GHW Bush often found himself awkwardly at odds with the religious right on some social positions and accomplished nothing on their behalf. By the time Dubya got into office, and had a majority Republican congress, he was so confident of religious right support that he attended a gay-friendly church and openly supported the legal status of civil unions.

After all the bluster and all the rhetoric, what has the religious right accomplished in exchange for their votes? Absolutely nothing. Abortion is still as legal as it ever was. Other than a few scattered state programs, there are no school choice initiatives or vouchers other than those available to low income students in failing school districts, and those are loaded with all kinds of restrictions to the point where Christian schools can't accept them. Prayer is not mandated in school, though the Equal Access Act, passed by a Democratic majority Congress and signed into law by Bill Clinton, made public prayer by students a protected free speech right and opened the door for the "See You At the Pole" movement, among others.
Sandy

Sandy

Postby Stephen Fox » Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:01 pm

Did you watch the abortion ad? What do you think of it and Tebow's association with it.

I trust that by now online you have watched the God and Caesar segment of PBS God in America. it drives home the points you made about Reagan and failure of the Bushes and Reagan to deliver to the Religious Right with the possible exception of the Alito and Roberts SCOTUS nominations.
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Return to SBC News and Trends