Lottie Moon marks a huge decline from 2007

Discuss current news and trends taking place in the Southern Baptist Convention.

Moderator: William Thornton

Lottie Moon marks a huge decline from 2007

Postby William Thornton » Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:44 am

141M Lottie Moon offering short of goal

RICHMOND, Va. (BP)--Despite financial hardships caused by the economic downturn, Southern Baptists gave $141 million to support the work of missionaries through the 2008 Lottie Moon Christmas Offering for International Missions. But the total, which fell nearly $30 million short of the $170 million goal, is not enough to fund many of those who are ready to go.

The $30 million shortfall is equivalent to what it costs to support the work of approximately 667 international missionaries for a year. The final figure for the 2008 offering is $141,315,110.24, which is more than $9 million below of the record 2007 offering of $150.4 million.

In retrospect, the $170m goal was highly unrealistic, ~$150m received for 2007 being the record, but to fall so far below what was received the last two years (the 2006 offering was over $150m also) was obviously a surprise to IMB budget planners.

I suppose that since December and January, when most churches are promoting and receiving their Lottie Moon gifts, was among the darkest days of the financial meltdown, it affected LM in a big way. Our church took longer to do it but we gave a little more than last year.

Any way you look at it, this is bad news.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog, SBC Plodder
William Thornton
Site Admin

Re: Lottie Moon marks a huge slide down from 2007

Postby fgantz » Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:44 am

The 2008 number was still 94% of the record year in 2007. I think most entities or businesses would be thrilled with that number. It would have been nice to set a new record or reach the goal, but I wouldn't call it a "huge slide down."
fgantz

Postby William Thornton » Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:27 am

fgantz wrote:The 2008 number was still 94% of the record year in 2007. I think most entities or businesses would be thrilled with that number. It would have been nice to set a new record or reach the goal, but I wouldn't call it a "huge slide down."

I appreciated the positive way Jerry Rankin commented on the decline in the BP article. He approaches it about the way I would approach responding to my congregation during a time when giving was less than asked or anticipated.

"We are grateful that in these difficult economic times Southern Baptists displayed amazing generosity in giving $141 million to the 2008 Lottie Moon Christmas Offering," said Jerry Rankin, International Mission Board president.

Well, you could say that they only received 84% of the goal, far less than anticipated...whatever...I'm all for being positive but the $9m shortfall is far, far greater than anything the IMB has ever experienced with Lottie Moon; hence, the drastic cuts. I hate to say it but "huge" is an appropriate term.

Maybe 2009 will show a huge increase. I hope and pray so.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Re: Lottie Moon marks a huge decline from 2007

Postby Gary » Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:41 pm

William,

It used to be that Lottie Moon was advertised as just supporting projects...no admin overhead taken out, no salaries.

Now, granted my second-hand knowledge is some 20-odd years old, do you have any idea how many FT folks are supported by LM? Or how many "project people"? Or how many folks "who are not classified as Full Time", since that number has seemed to burgeon, at least anecdotally.

Thanks,

Gary
Gary

Postby William Thornton » Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:31 pm

Gary wrote:William,

It used to be that Lottie Moon was advertised as just supporting projects...no admin overhead taken out, no salaries.

Now, granted my second-hand knowledge is some 20-odd years old, do you have any idea how many FT folks are supported by LM? Or how many "project people"? Or how many folks "who are not classified as Full Time", since that number has seemed to burgeon, at least anecdotally.

Thanks,

Gary

I don't know, Gary. I'm not sure why it is a problem that the IMB has thousands of mssy personnel who are not career, though some have spoken of that as if it is.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:23 pm

fgantz wrote:The 2008 number was still 94% of the record year in 2007. I think most entities or businesses would be thrilled with that number. It would have been nice to set a new record or reach the goal, but I wouldn't call it a "huge slide down."

The BGCT would be thrilled to be receiving 94% of the Cooperative Program gifts given in whatever year was the "record" for them. It's a matter of perspective, and $141 million, which is about $9 million short of the record, is not bad.
Sandy

Postby Ed Pettibone » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:57 am

Sandy wrote:

The BGCT would be thrilled to be receiving 94% of the Cooperative Program gifts given in whatever year was the "record" for them. It's a matter of perspective, and $141 million, which is about $9 million short of the record, is not bad.

Ed: Sandy, would you really call it good when 141 million dollars comes from from 15.5 Million members?
Ed Pettibone

Postby Ed Pettibone » Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:21 pm

ED: Frank, even the record, in 2007, was not great for a denomination the size of the SBC, But then as William may note I am no longer in the SBC. I recognized you name immediately and checked the SBTS funny book for 96-97 P 40. My wife did her M.Div. from 95 to 98. I am not sure why your name rang a bell except perhaps we did share a table in the Cafeteria in the presence of Dr. Anderson. Do you recall a fellow by the name of Tom Fox by any chance? I am sure I would recognize some of the regulars from that table but Tom was the only one that I knew well. We also attended Broadway Baptist Church with Dr. Anderson. It was quite a shock when he died.

I wanted to let you know I read through the entire Pulpit2Pew site to say I enjoyed it is not quite the right the right word, but I did greatly appreciate it. I do really like much of what you wrote. Several parts of your story overlap with mine. If you are in church on the 28th we may see you, as we will be in W.Palm visiting her younger brother. Trudy is now pastoring 2 small ABC churches here in the Adirondacks.
Ed Pettibone

Postby fgantz » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:24 pm

Ed, I do remember those days around the cafeteria table. Dr. Anderson was one of those men that I just wanted to be around and see what nuggets would come out.

As to the SBC numbers in 2007, I do agree.

I have recently moved back to Louisville, so I will miss you in WPB. My kids and grandkids are mostly here. I do miss the beach, but love being back around them.

Thanks for the comments about the blog. It has been difficult to write about some of these things, but helpful for me and I hope for others.

If in Louisville, let me know.
fgantz

Return to SBC News and Trends