[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - ? about a study Bible

? about a study Bible

Discuss current news and trends taking place in the Southern Baptist Convention.

Moderator: William Thornton

? about a study Bible

Postby linda » Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:48 pm

Linda
linda

Re: ? about a study Bible

Postby bobfrgsn » Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:16 pm

Bob Ferguson

my blogspot: http://bobferguson.blogspot.com/
Free and Faithful Baptist are welcome to comment ...
bobfrgsn

Location: Mandeville, Louisiana on the northshore of beautiful Lake Ponchatrain

Postby Joshua Villines » Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:22 pm

"Saying that CBF churches are more progessive than SBC ones because they support the ordination of women is like noting that one flat-earth society is more progressive than the other because it admits to the existence of gravity."
Joshua Villines
Forum Tech Support

Postby Jim1964 » Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:25 pm

Jim1964

Postby Jonathan » Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:40 pm

Jonathan

Postby Dave Roberts » Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:31 pm

"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby linda » Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:58 am

Linda
linda

Postby Joshua Villines » Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:48 am

"Saying that CBF churches are more progessive than SBC ones because they support the ordination of women is like noting that one flat-earth society is more progressive than the other because it admits to the existence of gravity."
Joshua Villines
Forum Tech Support

Postby Dave Roberts » Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:14 pm

"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby JKSol » Tue Nov 14, 2006 4:33 pm

JKSol

Postby Jerry_B » Tue Nov 14, 2006 4:46 pm

Jerry_B

Postby Haruo » Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:12 am

Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby eduardo » Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:56 am

eduardo

Postby linda » Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:43 am

Linda
linda

Postby JKSol » Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:56 am

JKSol

Postby eduardo » Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:23 pm

eduardo

Postby Haruo » Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:06 pm

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:37 pm

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:42 pm

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby linda » Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:16 am

Very true--but it does get a bit cumbersome flipping from one book to another during study to look up a verse.

I went ahead and ordered the Life Principles Bible to add to my collection. It isn't heavy on doctrine, but is very helpful on what I would consider "basic applied Christianity".

I don't think I am trying to regain exactly the faith I had as a baby new Christian--I would hope to grow and learn. However, I have wandered so far afield a review of where I started is in order, hopefully to grow in a better direction.

Haruo--you are welcome to pick one of the following topics for another thread. However, because I recognize myself as weak in the faith I will not be up for heavy duty debate.

Ways I wandered, considered, was tempted, went astray into, or were influenced in a toxic manner include:

Extremes of pastoral authority.
Extremes of tulip calvinism.
Universalism.
Extremes of perfectionism.
Extremes of dispensational theology (watered down to easy believism).
Some aspects of the charismatic movement.
Extremes of seeker services.

As you can see, the problem lay mostly with the "extremes of". It is amazing how much damage one leader can do on one's soul. That leader is not totally to blame--had I been a bit sharper I would not have been such a follower. And it is important to add that that leader has since been soundly disciplined by God, has publicly in the last few weeks apologized to those of us hurt and labelled "heretic" from his pulpit, and is still being mightily used by God. He is not my enemy, but my wounded brother in Christ. (I would NEVER, however, attend where he is preaching again.)

I am trying to review, if you will, where I was before Bro.? became my pastor, and then grow from there. Time and again as I struggle to regain my equalibrium, I remember two old time SBC pastors I had. Their opinions and theologies differed, but both commented about having wanted to attend seminary and not being able to go. Later in life both were glad that they knew the Bible only, rather than having that extensive education and losing their faith. My struggles began with a pastor that held his education of more worth than simple working people's faith. I think there must be a good balance in between those views.

I apologize if this is disjointed and full of errors. I am typing with a two year old on my lap.
Linda
linda

Postby eduardo » Fri Nov 17, 2006 6:07 am

eduardo

Postby Jerry_B » Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:07 am

OK, here is a shot, John MacArthur has just put out his revised (2nd edition) study bible "MacArthur Study Bible" available in the New King James (avoid IMO) and the NASB (bit wooden for my taste). It sounds like what you are looking for. MacArthur is independent and very well thought of in conservative circles.
Jerry_B

Postby linda » Fri Nov 17, 2006 3:58 pm

Thank you--I do have a MacArthur study bible. It is, of course, from a calvinistic theology rather than dispensational. For history, customs, etc, I find it the best I have. At this time, however, having been thoroughly confused by some EXTREMELY (far beyond MacArthur) hyper Calvinism, I have laid it aside waiting for my head to clear, so to speak.
Linda
linda

Postby T. D. Webb » Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:12 am

T. D. Webb

"The first to plead his case seems right, until another comes and examines him." (Proverbs 18:17)
T. D. Webb

Postby linda » Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:37 pm

Linda
linda

Return to SBC News and Trends