[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Local autonomy: can we be consistent regarding boundaries?

Local autonomy: can we be consistent regarding boundaries?

Discuss current news and trends taking place in the Southern Baptist Convention.

Moderator: William Thornton

Local autonomy: can we be consistent regarding boundaries?

Postby Jonathan » Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:40 pm

A conversation I had this afternoon has caused me to consider whether the threads on sexual abuse and the threads about the trouble at Bellevue are bookends.

It appears that the actions of both Christa and the Memphis deacon (+ the small group who seem to be supporting his concerns) are very similar, if not almost identical. Christa is applauded for pursuing this issue via avenues outside the church (I join in this approval and can't see that I would do differently if I found that my daughter had been similarly abused - actually, there is a good possibility that my actions would result if my hearing the words "Mr. Jonathan, you have the right to remain silent..."). Yet, many are calling what the Memphis deacon did as damaging, evil, wicked, improper, not in keeping with the biblical standards of church discipline, etc...

What, then are the boundaries for local autonomy? I read much of Christa's website and a great deal of the info in the many links she has there and if even a fraction of what she states/refers to is true, there has been a clear cut case of "pastor protecting pastor at all cost". Yet, I am seeing the same type of action regarding BBC's pastor (the men uttering the descriptions of the deacon to me have all been pastors). In fact, the similarity struck me when I asked one of these pastors (a long time beloved friend of mine) something like, "what if the deacon's allegations regarding Gaines are true?" His first answer was something on the order of "non-members of BBC need to keep their noses out of that; it ain't your church; any outside interference is a compromise of local autonomy". His second answer was, "if Gaines is guilty of these actions, God will deal with him appropriately."

I'll call my friend tomorrow and ask him if the same applies to Christa's case and if not, why.

I struggle with the temptation of taking an atttitude that says, "since pastors (from different churches) routinely discuss internal church matters as a way to gain assistance, advice, counsel, why is it less appropriate for members to do essentially the same thing (albeit via different avenues)?"
Jonathan

Postby Haruo » Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:22 pm

Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Cathy » Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:16 pm

Cathy

Postby Kaye » Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:46 pm

Kaye

Postby Jonathan » Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:00 pm

Jonathan

Postby Kaye » Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:06 pm

Kaye

Postby jerryl » Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:41 pm

jerryl

Postby Kaye » Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:29 pm

Kaye

Postby Lamar Wadsworth » Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:25 pm

Lamar Wadsworth

Location: Rockmart GA (on a slippery slope, between Aragon and VanWert, 6 miles SW of Taylorsville)

Postby jerryl » Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:57 pm

jerryl

Postby Ed Pettibone » Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:59 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby Kaye » Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:06 am

Kaye

Postby Dave Roberts » Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:58 am

"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:33 am

William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby jerryl » Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:19 pm

jerryl

sexual harassment

Postby Kaye » Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:18 am

Kaye

Postby Dee Ann Miller » Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:17 am