[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - The all new SBC Conservative Resurgence

The all new SBC Conservative Resurgence

Discuss current news and trends taking place in the Southern Baptist Convention.

Moderator: William Thornton

The all new SBC Conservative Resurgence

Postby William Thornton » Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:49 pm

My mod friends may now say, “Told ya so.”

I’m not up for this one.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Re: The all new SBC Conservative Resurgence

Postby Haruo » Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:29 pm

What is it? Link?
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:34 am

Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:01 am

Things have progressed a bit but here is my article with links:

https://sbcvoices.com/i-dont-think-ill- ... d-funding/

Essentially, it’s the same old thing - a more right wing group. It’s tough to claim, though, that any of the six SBC seminaries are liberal. You will recognize a lot of the same stuff as in 1979.

There’s a racial element in this. Has to do with everything said to be included with “woke” stuff. My prediction is that the group will fail and that it’s more aBout secular politics.

Eerie similarities to the CR but no chance of the new group winning elections for years on end. Inept leadership, among other things.

The new group may opt to create a separate funding mechanism but that is rank conjecture by me. Too early to see how well or,poorly they will do.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:35 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:16 pm

In the SBC right now there’s a lot of implied content in the phrase “social justice.” The SBC has a considerable number of ethnic minority congregations, probably many more than the abc or cbf. Not sure about umc. One of the differences between ethnic minority congregations and ethnic majority ones is politics and political issues.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:24 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Alabama and Mississippi SBC

Postby Stephen Fox » Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:12 am

In Miss the SBC played a key role in bringing the Confederate emblem off the state flag, that and Miss State and Ole Miss 5 star recruits threatening to opt out. The real test of the SBC is not the new more Pressler like Group with Mohler's ridiculous thoughts on populism and Trump, the test is in Alabama will Rick Lance be as struck mute as the 8 white ministers to whom ML King sent the letter from the Bham Jail in this Senate contest between the By God Gun Man Auburn Coach Tuberville and incumbent Doug Jones.

If the Bama SBC sits this one out, then God have mercy on their souls and all the SBC Voices including Al Molher can't redeem them.
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

By their fruits , we Know em

Postby Stephen Fox » Fri May 07, 2021 10:15 am

Stephen Fox

Postby William Thornton » Wed May 12, 2021 5:59 am

Actually, I am up for a new hotly contested SBC conflict. Four candidates for SBC prez next month at the annual meeting in Nashville.

Al Mohler, should have been a shoo-in but has a lot of people in the convention with Mohler fatigue; hence, the rise and popularity of..
Ed Litton, mostly unknown pastor who is sensible, positive, and not connected with Mohlerites or the Pattersonites whose candidate...
Mike Stone, Georgia pastor, pushed as the New Conservative Resurgence guy. Lots of lies to make anyone and any SBC entity into liberal
Randy Adams, an outside the Deep South reform candidate who is fed up with SBC secrecy and unaccountability, is the fourth candidate.

One might long for a nice, stable harmonious system like the United Methodists. ;)

We keep at it and the Grand Old SBC will splinter down to the size of the CBF/Alliance et al. But then, there’s all those seminaries and colleges.

Yeah, you guys said ‘I told ya so.’
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Mon May 17, 2021 2:46 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Tue May 18, 2021 6:09 am

I keep remembering what Tony Campolo said in the SBC Forum (alternative to the Pastors Conference) in the early 1980's. He said, "You are so busy down here in Dixie creating a pure denomination that one day you will hold your conventions in the front seat of a car."
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Tue May 18, 2021 10:49 am

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Tue May 18, 2021 4:46 pm

Our giving plan, the venerable Cooperative Program, is headed down to around $450 million. Not chump change. The direct support for the two mission boards is around $240 million. There are a lot of assets. Expect some segment to depart or reduce their SBC involvement after the June election. But, as the moderates learned in the 1980s and 1990s, folks are loath to get on a new train. The SBC will slog along.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Tue May 18, 2021 6:37 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Plus Billy Graham and Tim Tebow

Postby Stephen Fox » Wed May 19, 2021 4:54 pm

All coming together in a cluster fudd rucker of a mess. Billy Graham was spotlighted for two hours on American Experience Monday night on PBS. plus check my blog today on Tebow and Finebaum. And here from 2013 featuring Furman grad Mac Brunson all in the mix

pba pretty fair to graham but makes strong point Graham with Nixon and other shenanigans opened the door for Falwell to establish the Trump base...Sadly they didn't get Mohler on the record with his assertion to Charles Marsh that Billy worked ardently behind the scenes to further the fundamentalist takeover of the SBC

https://www.baptistpress.com/resource-l ... hristians/

www.foxofbama.blogspot.com

Stephen Fox

Postby Dave Roberts » Sun May 23, 2021 8:43 am

"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Sun May 23, 2021 3:40 pm

And the CBF would be...?
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Tue May 25, 2021 6:30 am

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Tue May 25, 2021 4:53 pm

Or, the CBF started with the idea that 40% would join them. Very, very few did. Nonetheless, each one should go where they feel comfortable.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Wed May 26, 2021 2:43 pm

I'm always amazed that discussion on the SBC always end up in "whatabout" discussions of moderate groups rather than just an honest discussion of the SBC. Moderates left the SBC behind long ago, not necessarily with all the marks of denominational success that the SBC'ers want, but with a breaking from the past. The SBC is seldom mentioned in any moderate groups of which I am aware. They want to be about the things they are for, not the things they are against.

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Thu May 27, 2021 4:57 am

CBF makes an appearance in the New SBC CR.

Prez candidate Al Mohler: “...look at the ruins of the moderate movement that left the SBC behind. It is a morass of doctrinal porridge, outright heresy, and the embrace of the LGBTQ agenda.”

Years ago I said I could be a mod but was wary of their trajectory. I’m appreciative of my mod friends here and elsewhere. We can fellowship and even cooperate on some levels.

The SBC is less than three weeks off. My prediction is that Mohler may win, but not first ballot. Little known Ed Litton has considerable support. Angry reformer Randy Adams will get the vote of the perpetually disgruntled 10% of SBCers. Patterson rehab candidate Mike Stone has loud support. Unsure how this translates into votes.

But, except for providing Fox with another mental hemorrhage, I know you guys aren’t much interested.

Bruce has the best thing going with his retreat events.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Sat May 29, 2021 8:45 am

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

June 7 The Atlantic

Postby Stephen Fox » Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:29 am

Changes everything. Everybody in Ether county gonna hear about this.

Stephen Fox

Return to SBC News and Trends