[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - New Conservative Baptist Network

New Conservative Baptist Network

Discuss current news and trends taking place in the Southern Baptist Convention.

Moderator: William Thornton

New Conservative Baptist Network

Postby Rvaughn » Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:20 am

Rvaughn

Re: New Conservative Baptist Network

Postby Haruo » Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:36 am

I'd be interested in finding out what they understand "social justice" to be, and why they believe it to be unbiblical.
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:42 am

Looks mostly like warmed over anti-cal group though they say soteriology is not an issue. We will see. Enemy of my enemy is my friend stuff.

The bullet point on CRT//I and social justice is a play for a disgruntled slice of SBCers. There will be blood at the SBC annual meeting in Orlando over CRT/I.

It’s easier with social media these days to get a group riled up and going but it’s still difficult to do another CR type thing.

Two anti-establishment SBC sub groups have floundered in the past couple of years; imploded, self-destructed, gangs that couldn’t shoot straight. We will see how this one fares.

There are no leaders with sterling leadership qualities and high levels of public appeal leading this group. I don’t think there is enough dissatisfaction in the SBC to pull this off. The two mission offerings are a record or near record levels. The CP, long declining as a part of SBC church budgets, is reasonably stable, though flat. Half the Seminaries have newer younger leadership. Enrollment is up.

As a confirmed contrarian, I d be open (though not in the Calvinistic sense) to a reform movement in the SBC. We sort of already have one going, which is why this group jumped up. It’s a status quo ante movement.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:16 am

...and look for this too be heavy on politics, Republican.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:21 am

William, my one question here is "Is there not a conflict between the inerrancy of scripture and the rejection of social justice? Don't you have to omit Amos, Micah, and Isaiah 1-39 from the Bible to reject all social justice? I've heard folks arguing that these books are not relevant since they spoke to a monarchy and not a republic. Just curious how that is squared.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:29 am

William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:40 pm

Luke 4 and Matthew 25 both have to go, too. Too much danger they might be read as pro-social-justice screeds.

And I suppose Exodus. "Let my people go" was famously stolen by blacks to justify the overturning of the biblically supported institution of slavery.

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:51 am

Sandy

Postby Sandy » Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:51 am

Where have Southern Baptists become disconnected from commitment to the inerrancy and infallibility of scripture?
Sandy

Postby William Thornton » Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:55 am

William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:04 pm

Stephen, if you want to comment on the topic I welcome it. If not, take your extraneous links somewhere else.
William Thornton
Site Admin

extraneous link

Postby Stephen Fox » Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:26 pm

What did you consider an extraneous link? the new network didn't evolve in a vacuum. I think it mighta been the starlette piece from ethicsdaily.com. The Index as well as your own commentary mentioned how race is a key aspect of the latest turn to the far right. Starlette's piece was just posted today and accents the race troubles of theSBC. It is my opinion extraneous may be in the eyes of the beholder
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Baptist Global on the takeover "reboot"

Postby Stephen Fox » Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:41 am

Stephen Fox

Postby Sandy » Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:47 pm

Sandy

Postby William Thornton » Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:59 pm

I suspect you will see more of Patterson’s fingerprints on this.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:42 am

When did "critical race theory" become an issue for Southern Baptists??
Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:59 am

"...ever since we realized we had accidentally elected a Black president?...."

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:25 am

Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby ET » Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:48 pm

I'm Ed Thompson, and I approve this message.
ET

Postby William Thornton » Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:59 pm

Good to hear from you ET. I don't do much here on SBC because there's not much interest. I think it's partly a reaction to the new generation leadership of JD Greear, partly involves Paige Patterson's dismissal from SWBTS, partly just a garden-variety power grab by some who think it can be done. We will see. Thus far, it's a secret group. They haven't released a list of supporters, a board of directors, any indication of who is funding it, who is managing the website and social media accounts. It doesn't matter in a way but, why the secrecy? MABTS' partnering with the group is a mystery to me. Maybe they are staking out a place to the right of the SBC seminaries like they have always done.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:09 pm

Sandy

Postby Sandy » Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:12 pm

Sandy

Bill Nigut of GPB political rewind is aware

Postby Stephen Fox » Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:11 am

Political rewind is daily Ga nPR hourlong live chat. Nigut saw my comment on their facebook wall about Balmer's piece on the CBN with his beautiful remedial history of the SBC

Stephen Fox

Postby Sandy » Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:46 am

Sandy

Postby ET » Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:34 pm

I'm Ed Thompson, and I approve this message.
ET

Next

Return to SBC News and Trends