[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - A "Dead Cat Bounce"

A "Dead Cat Bounce"

Discuss current news and trends taking place in the Southern Baptist Convention.

Moderator: William Thornton

A "Dead Cat Bounce"

Postby Sandy » Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:48 am

Sandy

Re: A "Dead Cat Bounce"

Postby Tim Bonney » Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:29 pm

Actually Sandy, they'd be better off forming Presbyteries and becoming Presbyterians rather than electing Bishops. Reformed polity is a lot more controlling than Episcopal polity. Methodists (Anglican and Episcopalians) allow for a lot more diversity in interpretation of our faith statements than what is being posited here.

I have also been really surprised that clergy in the UMC have considerably more authority and freedom than Presbyterian pastors do. I really wonder why these Baptist pastors wants their Elder Boards, etc.
Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:44 pm

Sandy

Postby Tim Bonney » Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:29 pm

Yes, I can see their fear that any change that makes women less than second class citizens would eventually lead to women in the pulpit. Because it does. You have keep people thinking women are subservient to men otherwise they'll figure out that women are equal to me.

As to Calvinism, I believe strict Calvinist thinking is one of the worst things to ever happen to Protestant Christianity.
Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:54 pm

I think that the Baptists back in the coves and hollows of Appalachia came closer to getting it right when they said, "No book but the Bible; no creed but Christ." I give thanks often to have realized one day that I had not left the SBC but the SBC had long ago left me.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:17 am

I’m not thinking that the rabid Cals are gaining in influence. The Founders organization, who produced the film, is diminishing in influence. They deserve it for stuff they’ve done recently. The gang that can’t shoot straight.

My mod friends get some things right. One is to eschew resolutions. The SBC has screwed up the resolution process two years running. It’s cost us.

Next year promises to be fun-filled for our Grand Old Convention. Churches have been soft on cooperative program support for decades. All this stuff feeds that.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:35 am

I know several that set their CP support based on that of the church served by the SBC Presidents.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:05 am

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:10 am

Sandy