[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - More Paige Patterson Damage

More Paige Patterson Damage

Discuss current news and trends taking place in the Southern Baptist Convention.

Moderator: William Thornton

More Paige Patterson Damage

Postby Dave Roberts » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:11 am

I have trouble believing this behavior from one claiming to be "a man of God."

"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Re: More Paige Patterson Damage

Postby William Thornton » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:44 am

Let the matter be fully aired and litigated. This is the plaintiff's filing. Let's see where it goes. It is ugly.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:15 am

"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Rvaughn » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:24 am

Rvaughn

Postby Haruo » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:13 am

Was David, the giant-killing type of Christ and apple of God's eye, a man of God?
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:28 pm

I'm afraid I was sour-grapeing Patterson for things he said about so-called liberals back a few years ago when he was questioning if they were "men of God" since they wouldn't subscribe to inerrancy. Guess I remember too much of what he said of others.

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Rvaughn » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:14 pm

I understand. If he did all that is alleged in the lawsuit filing, it is bad.

One thing that helps separate some men of God who behave badly from others who behave badly is repentance and remorse. Don't recall seeing any in this case.
Rvaughn

Postby Sandy » Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:38 am

Sandy

Postby Rvaughn » Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:15 am

I won't be holding my breath, waiting.
Rvaughn

Postby Sandy » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:36 am

Post-Birmingham, the response to the way the convention addressed the sexual abuse crisis in their own house was a lot of feel-good back patting and explanations of how the actions they took will lead to real resolution of the problems. They got it "on the stage" (in a carefully orchestrated way, but it was "up there") discussed it in a controlled environment, kept the rally outside and far enough away so that there was a buffer. There's one more vote next year to put the proposal in place and enable the convention to take more immediate action against churches that don't take decisive action against abusers. The response from the victims and their supporters is "Yeah, we see the PR show, but we've seen and heard it all before. The jury is out until we actually see actions to match the words." Clearly they have more confidence in J.D. Greear than in previous resurgence-endorsed presidents but it's still "wait and see and we don't have a lot of patience anymore."

I think that perspective could be vastly improved when Southern Baptists across the board stop prefacing their remarks regarding Patterson with, "Of course, he did a good thing by stepping up and leading the conservative resurgence, but...." He was one of the "architects" of the resurgence, universally acknowledged as such. Apparently, Dr. Greenway at Southwestern has seen the wisdom of cleansing the campus of any last vestiges of the Patterson presidency including getting rid of the windows (should have smashed them so Liberty couldn't get them) and giving Patterson's staff deputies a nice farewell and "don't let the door hit your rear on the way out." The SBC needs to give some sort of acknowledgement in the same way. They need to use their new procedure to tell the church he now belongs to that they need to remove the Pattersons from the roll or the convention will disfellowship the church for harboring someone who aided and abetted a sexual abuser.
Sandy

Postby William Thornton » Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:18 pm

I think your view of the abuse actions are off, Sandy. You usually have good instincts about these things. When I have time I'll explain what's different.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:35 pm

Depending on Texas laws, Patterson might qualify for obstruction of justice for trying to "break down" the sole witness. In Virginia, that is a felony.

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:25 pm

Sandy

Return to SBC News and Trends