interview with Mike Stone, SBC Presidential candidate

Discuss current news and trends taking place in the Southern Baptist Convention.

Moderator: William Thornton

interview with Mike Stone, SBC Presidential candidate

Postby Stephen Fox » Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:26 am

https://pastormikestone.com/a-critical- ... ike-stone/

He focuses in on critical race theory resolution coming out of Bham SBC 2019

Compare to top trending story at www.theatlantic.com yesterday on the upcoming carnival in Nashville, Evangelical Scandal by Peter Wehner.
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Re: interview with Mike Stone, SBC Presidential candidate

Postby William Thornton » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:45 pm

There’s good reason for him to avoid things that the XComm did while he was chair.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog, SBC Plodder
William Thornton
Site Admin

Patterson confidante leaks

Postby Stephen Fox » Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:50 pm

Wash Post story yesterday by Sara Pulliam quotes among others a former Paige Patterson insider who now breaks with patterson over his manipulations against Rick Warren among others. Also Dwight McKissic talks about the SBC code that goes beyond the BFM 2000 similar allegations to Charles Marsh Father twenty years ago, Robert Marsh at 2nd ponce de leon who talked about the takeover insider larger campaign to wed to the right wing of the GOP

Google this explosive piece, the latest in a series over the last ten days that have provoked Mohler to disseminate at least two videos calling for calm and Love and the Great Commission.

Here are couple snippets from the Post

The SBC is full of highly influential pastors and Bible teachers who vouch for one another and promote one another’s books, conferences and networks. With no pope or hierarchy and a democratic system of voting, its system is designed to protect its own leaders and the institution by generally not publicly criticizing one another. Several people, however, have recently broken those unspoken rules.

When an employee speaks out
One Black pastor has decided to share his removal earlier this year from his job as director of information technology at the SBC’s missions and church planting institution, the North American Mission Board (NAMB).

Tez Andrews, who also serves as an SBC pastor in Atlanta, said that in March, he published a Facebook post about one of the candidates running to be SBC’s president, Mike Stone, who spoke on a podcast against critical race theory (CRT), an intellectual framework used to examine systemic racism in the United States.

NAMB, which poured $130 million into SBC churches in 2020, is a powerful force within the convention, because it decides how to distribute money to things such as relief efforts and church planters, generally with the expectation that recipients will remain Southern Baptist.

On a podcast posted in March, Stone compared people who use CRT as a framework to Catholics, Methodists and Pentecostals — Christians with whom Baptists have major theological differences and who cannot be in the SBC. He compared CRT to issues of women’s ordination and LGBT-endorsing churches. He complained that SBC leaders have bent over backward to apologize over Black pastors who have left the SBC over leaders’ disagreement with CRT.

“If one group in the Southern Baptist Convention believes that critical race theory is a helpful tool but another group believes it is completely incompatible with the Bible and ultimately destructive to our gospel efforts, there can be union, but there cannot be true biblical unity,” Stone said.

Andrews responded to Stone on Facebook: “Critical Race Theory is a theory and a model that helps predict systemic race issues in society. Mike Stone and people like him are afraid of losing their supremacist position.”

Andrews was told to take his post down, which he did, but he was later told he would still be fired.

“They basically said, ‘You disrespected Mike Stone, so you’re gone,'” said Andrews, who will attend the Nashville meeting. “To me, it’s the good-ol’-boy system.”

Stone wrote in an email that he was told by the president of NAMB that an unnamed employee was fired but that he was not trying to force anyone out of a job.

When asked about Andrews, a spokesman for NAMB said that NAMB’s core values were publicly violated.

“Respecting our partners, especially in this era of divisiveness, is a critical core value to which we consistently hold every member of our team accountable,” the organization said in a statement.

Andrews said NAMB leaders told him it would invest money in his lower-income community, yet he is still waiting for the money to come through. When Andrews negotiated his severance, NAMB leaders had Andrews sign a nondisclosure agreement and a nondisparagement clause, which Andrews signed. It said he agreed to not say anything bad about NAMB.

Dwight McKissic, a Black pastor in Arlington, Tex., who decided not to go to Nashville this year, said the SBC has an “unwritten code” in SBC life.

“You have rules outside the Baptist Faith and Message that you don’t know. Now CRT is becoming one of those litmus tests, and whether you vote Republican, and whether you against women preaching. It’s a test of whether you’re in or out,” McKissic said. “When you don’t know the players or don’t have the good grasp of the cultural do’s and don’ts, it’s extremely difficult for a person of color when you’re trying to navigate waters that are not your waters.”

New audio recordings
On Thursday, several audio recordings of high-profile meetings were leaked by a pastor who used to work for Moore. In newly leaked audio recordings of meetings between Moore and Ronnie Floyd, the head of the SBC’s executive committee that runs the denomination’s finances, Floyd said ahead of a Southern Baptist conference focused on caring for survivors of sexual abuse that he wasn’t worried about what they would say, but he said he was particularly concerned about “the base” of the SBC.

“I just want to preserve the base,” Floyd said. “And that’s what I would say to y’all as you think through the strategy. Do everything you can to remember the base.”

In a statement, Floyd said the tapes were released as an “attempt to mischaracterize” the meetings. He also apologized “for any offense that may have resulted from my remarks.”

Speaking on the condition of anonymity for fear of jeopardizing his current job, a former employee of Moore, the departed SBC leader, said Moore used to make fun of people who left the denomination because the institution would cultivate people, provide training and often an education. Through its financial and relational transactions, that employee said, the denomination cultivates a kind of loyalty usually only broken once a person says farewell.

Moore did not return requests for comment.

Stephen Fox

Re: interview with Mike Stone, SBC Presidential candidate

Postby William Thornton » Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:13 pm

Authoritative account from yours truly in due time.

There are a few excellent religion reporters, Pulliam is one.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog, SBC Plodder
William Thornton
Site Admin

Waiting on Thornton

Postby Stephen Fox » Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:19 pm

Meantime this

https://religiondispatches.org/where-di ... lly-begin/

What is Nathan Finn and SBC Voices, what are they gonna do with the truth of their predicament.

Stephen Fox

Return to SBC News and Trends