[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - No Withdrawal Symptoms...yet...

No Withdrawal Symptoms...yet...

Discuss current news and trends taking place in the Southern Baptist Convention.

Moderator: William Thornton

No Withdrawal Symptoms...yet...

Postby Sandy » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:44 pm

I haven't attended a Southern Baptist church since the first Sunday in August. So far, no withdrawal symptoms. That's the longest period of time in my life that I can remember without having attended an SBC church.
Sandy

Re: No Withdrawal Symptoms...yet...

Postby Blake » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:24 pm

Have you been going somewhere else in the meantime? I think if I ever did decide to give up on the SBC I'd try to join the Missionary Church if the opportunity presented itself. I highly recommend checking it out if there is one near you.
"But for our parts, to take a carnal weapon in our hands, or use the least violence, either to support or pull down the worst, or to set up or maintain the best of men, we look not upon it to be our duty in the least..."
- Henry Adis
Blake

Postby Sandy » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:25 pm

We've gone to a non-denominational church a couple of Sundays, and an American Baptist a couple of times, and have settled on a Christian and Missionary Alliance church.
Sandy

Postby Tim Bonney » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:18 pm

I haven't been in a Baptist church since the middle of June myself.
Tim Bonney

Postby Lamar Wadsworth » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:29 pm

I haven't been in an SBC church on a regular basis since 1997. Our church (Heritage BC, Cartersville GA, www.hbccartersville.org, is affiliated with CBF and Alliance of Baptists.
Lamar Wadsworth

Location: Rockmart GA (on a slippery slope, between Aragon and VanWert, 6 miles SW of Taylorsville)

Postby Haruo » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:43 am

Is the "Missionary Church" Blake refers to the same as CMA?
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:08 am

No, not the same group. The Missionary Church that Blake is talking about is a small denomination in the upper midwest with Mennonite roots. If I'm not mistaken, their primary educational institution is Bethel College which is in Mishawaka, Indiana, a suburb of South Bend, and they have a membership of less than 100,000. The CMA is nationwide, though most predominant in the mid-Atlantic. In fact, Western PA is their largest district. Their origins are in the Reformed tradition, theologically conservative, Presbyterian in church governance, baptize by immersion, their most noted theologian is A.W. Tozer, and they have several colleges and theological schools, including Houghton College and Nyack College in New York.
Sandy

Postby Big Daddy Weaver » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:17 am

I think Toccoa Falls College in North Georgia is affiliated with the Christian and Missionary Alliance too?

Several kids my age from the local Christian academy went off to Toccoa Falls to play basketball. Toccoa Falls College is in Toccoa - home of Oral Roberts, James Brown and the late Baptist layman and one-time world's strongest man Paul Anderson (used to be friends with Anderson's grandaughter...Anderson has a Christian youth home in Vidalia funded largely by Baptist laymen Truett Cathy and Nelson Price). Toccoa Falls College provides a number of full scholarships regularly to youth home graduates.
My book:
My Baptists Today column:
My blog:
Big Daddy Weaver

Postby Sandy » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:59 am

Yes, Toccoa Falls is affiliated with the CMA. Their higher education system is different than the way most Baptist colleges affiliate with the denomination. There are those which are directly affiliated, including Nyack College, Simpson College in Calif., Crown College in Minnesota, and the Alliance Theological Seminary in New York, and there are those which the Alliance affirms, has a fraternal relationship with, and provides financial support to students who are members of the churches attending there, such as Houghton College in NY, Geneva College in PA, Cedarville Univ. in Ohio, and Gordon Conwell Seminary in MA. They've got a Bible institute in Colorado, where the headquarters is located, and are partners in Alliance-Nazarene University College in Canada.

I've detected few differences between the Alliance and Southern Baptists in worship, theology or passion for missions. There is a bit more Reformed flavor in the preaching and teaching, but much less emphatic on predestination than Presbyterians. The missionaries are much more connected and directly involved in local congregations, each church has a regular "missions conference" at which one of their missionaries presides. There's no altar call or "invitation" at the end of the service. Joining a church is a matter of meeting with the pastor and elders and being interviewed and approved. There is no "transfer of letter" between churches, if you join a new church, it requires a new interview.

The CMA is probably one of the few denominations in America that has seen substantial numerical growth over the last four decades, probably close to 50% increase in total membership. The median age of the churches we've visited is probably 20 years less than the typical SBC congregation. The church we're attending is small, about 120 on a Sunday morning, and at 51 and 53 respectively, my wife and I are among the older members of the congregation.
Sandy

Return to SBC News and Trends