[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - 2017 Biennial

2017 Biennial

Discuss life and ministry in the American Baptist Churches, USA

Moderator: Haruo

2017 Biennial

Postby Haruo » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:16 am

Now that the 2015 Biennial is "in the books" as Ed put it, I thought I would start a thread for the next one, which will hit close to home. Portland is only a couple hundred miles south of Seattle, readily accessible by Amtrak or Greyhound for us carless ones.

I hope to see a bunch of you there!
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Booked a Room

Postby Haruo » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:17 am

My brother Graham lives in Portland, and although he is a Presbyterian he has agreed to let me, and Mrs. H. if she wants to come along, stay at his place June 30-July 2, 2017.

Haruo
Site Admin

Shorter Biennial?

Postby Haruo » Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:51 am

This year's Biennial schedule shows registration open from 4 pm Wednesday, and the last item (a tour) at 10 am Monday. Four days (Thursday through Sunday) are chock full of events. Anybody know why the 2017 Biennial is only scheduled for 3 days (June 30 to July 2) as far as I can tell?

Haruo
Site Admin

Re: 2017 Biennial

Postby Haruo » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:09 pm

I gather the official beginning of the Biennial was Friday night, the Thursday and Friday (and maybe even Wednesday, though not on the schedule) stuff was extracurricular. So there'll probably be more than 3 days' worth in Portland, too.

Haruo
Site Admin

Re: Booked a Room

Postby Tim Bonney » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:32 pm

Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:01 pm

;)

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:52 pm

Ed: Hauro, I am aware that the distance from Seatle to Portland is significant (173.10 city center to city center, according to Map Quest). 61 years ago I hitchhiked it on the Saturday before mothers day. I was waiting to ship out from Ft. Lewis, Wa. to Korea so I went down to visit one of our former pastors and his family. After Lunch they wouldn't let me hitchhike back to Seattle and bought me a bus ticket. We shipped out on Tuesday. For the most part, the 4 days prior to opening of the Biennial consist of meetings of the General Board and the boards of ancillary entities of the ABC-USA. and are mainly open to others by invitation. A few are open to all, but I would need to do some research to know which are which. A site feature that is setup each year is the "Hall of Ministries" where Denominational entities such as Judson Press ect;, also individuals set up to promote the wares and services of their personal ministries. Colleges, Seminaries and Camping programs are also represented.

I was disappointed that the Young Pastors preaching Festival and the Authors signing at the Judson Press display where at the same time. I did see Bill Leonard latter in the day. At the ABC Historical Society Breakfast Yesterday Morning we did hear Marilyn Fardig Whitley the author of a book titled The Life of Isabel Crawford do a verbal synopsis of Miss Crawford's life and ministry to Kiowa Indians. I am sure David Flick will want to read this account. This is a brand new book published By Pickwick Press, of Portland Oregon, in fact Mrs. Whitely has not seen the finished product until a case of them arrived at the Overland Park Convention Center on Saturday. I bought a copy and Trudy has been reading it as we drove to Springfield Illinois today. I will start on it when I finish this post. Yes I had Mrs. Whitely sign my copy.

We will head for Fort Wayne Indiana, tomorrow, for the sake of nostalgia.
Ed Pettibone

Postby Haruo » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:45 pm

Ed, it would be great if you and Trudy could make it out to PDX two years from now! I certainly will be there, barring unforeseencalamity .

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:59 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby Tim Bonney » Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:39 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:41 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby Tim Bonney » Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:47 pm

Jeez, you are touchy today Ed. I just asked a question. Maybe you should chill a little bit.
Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:56 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby Tim Bonney » Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:35 pm

ROTFL Ed. You have to be older than dirt to tell a 51 year old pastor who has been pastoring for more than 25 years that I'm too young and inexperienced. Wow. Seriously.

Thanks for the laugh Ed.
Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:25 am

Ed Pettibone

Return to ABC Life and Ministry Forum