[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - David Currie on the BGCT

David Currie on the BGCT

Open discussion on general Baptist-related topics of interest to Baptists around the world.

Moderator: Dave Roberts

David Currie on the BGCT

Postby Bruce Gourley » Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:58 pm

A RANCHER'S RUMBLINGS: MOVING FORWARD
by David R. Currie, Executive Director

Last week's annual meeting of the BGCT went well. We've made it through a critical time in the history of the BGCT, and I believe that last week's events were good for the advancement of God's Kingdom.

Joy Fenner was elected president of the BGCT. Endorsed by TBC, Joy is the first woman to be elected president of our state convention. She won by only 60 votes, which makes this the closest presidential election in longer than I can remember. She defeated David Lowrie, a great guy who serves with me on the Board of Howard Payne University. These two people proved that there is nothing wrong with an open, contested vote on leadership in our convention, as long as all of us keep in mind that we are family.

Some are now concerned that such a close election means that we are divided. Yet the actions of both the Fenner supporters and the Lowrie supporters indicate that our disagreements are trumped by our unity. We are united in supporting the BGCT and its remarkable institutions and ministries. We are united in our love for being Texas Baptists. Finally, we are united in giving thanks that we are free and not under Fundamentalist control.

We have had a rough couple of years as a state convention. Supporters differ on how we should deal with the problems that we have experienced. Some, like me, think we just need to be grateful for our freedom, support our outstanding ministries, and wait on God to lead us into an exciting future. We strongly believe that God's hand is on Texas Baptists.

Others think that the situation is critical and the BGCT is on life support. They have publicly criticized our leaders and urged us to go on record as lacking confidence in those leaders.

In the past few weeks, I have shared both my concerns and my tremendous confidence in the future of the BGCT. I know that you share my concerns, but I hope and believe that you also share my confidence in, and dreams for, the BGCT. We need to maintain that balance as we move forward.

In all honesty, I am thankful that the annual meeting is now behind us. Emotions were high for many people-including me, as I spoke at the annual TBC breakfast and recalled all that I had learned from Herbert Reynolds, John Baugh, Bob Stephenson, Phil Strickland, Foy Valentine, Billy Ray Parmer, and Mary Jim, my Mother. If I'm anything, I am a product of great teachers. (If you would like to obtain a tape of my speech for $5, please contact Carol at carolscott@txbc.org &ltmailto:carolscott@txbc.org>.)

We are not divided as a state convention, but I am aware that we have our disagreements and misunderstandings. One such misunderstanding, I believe, concerns the role that TBC plays in its relationship with our state convention. During the coming year, I plan to work hard to tell people who we are, where the BGCT has come from, and where we can go as a state convention if we stick together and focus on Christ.

We can learn from the past, but we can accomplish new great things only by focusing on the future. We must keep moving forward, making sure to include all Texas Baptists in our vision.

The Baptist General Convention of Texas is free from Fundamentalist control. Take a moment to re-read that sentence and savor its meaning. This is the single most significant factor in Baptist life right now, as we focus on preserving the Baptist witness in America and around the world. The largest state Baptist convention is free to be authentically Baptist-institutions free to serve; universities free to educate with academic integrity; churches free and autonomous to call whomever they choose to serve with them; and individual believers free to exercise their holy priesthood under the leadership of the Holy Spirit. Savor that reality, and then remember that freedom is always partnered with responsibility. &quotFrom everyone who has been given much, much will be required."
(Luke 12:48, NASB)

Texas Baptists Committed has played a significant role in our convention for 20 years, and it will play an even more important role in the future. We must, absolutely must, teach Baptist principles to all who will listen and learn; stay the course of freedom from control and be obedient to God and His word; strive to be both inclusive and creative; lead the way in showing how ethics and evangelism go hand in hand; and, most importantly, preserve religious liberty in America.

TBC will not grow weary in well-doing as we work toward these goals. Please join us and work with us.
Bruce Gourley
BaptistLife.Com owner

Bruce Gourley
Site Admin

Return to Baptist Faith & Practice Forum