The Waltons and the Priesthood of the Believer

Open discussion on general Baptist-related topics of interest to Baptists around the world.

Moderator: Dave Roberts

The Waltons and the Priesthood of the Believer

Postby Stephen Fox » Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:04 pm

On this 30 something day of Trump's Corona virus while waiting on a ride from extended family I gave in to the sap of The Waltons I caught on one of the nostalgia channels. John Boy is commuting to college while his mother is a substitute teacher and Grandpa and Dad decide to have a picnic up on the mountain where there is always a breeze and the temp is seven or so degrees cooler.

John Boy is observing family and the community and his little brother Jed or Jake--other younger plays the organ--in preparation for his supply sermon. The regular preacher is away on his honey moon.

John does a crash course in in ethics, religion and philosophy in preparation while taking suggestions from his grandmother who wants a hell fire sermon, and some biddies take snide comments on his mother's teaching abilities, and his grandfather suggests emphasis on grace and his Dad the beauty of nature.

John Boy does a great job, an early Marney almost crossed with Craddock. Here in the pandemic as the camera pans the congregation I saw some members from Bethany, but the family all lined up was a little too much when Grandpa himself tears up a little with pride.

Here in pandemic where all of us face loss and remember those already gone on to the other shore. I think My friend Lamar Wadsworth gets it as he knew my own Grandfather WD Shorty Fox's Preacher Willard Willis on the Kingston HWY.

I imagine Thornton as well.
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Return to Baptist Faith & Practice Forum