[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Trump's Evangelical Rally

Trump's Evangelical Rally

Open discussion on general Baptist-related topics of interest to Baptists around the world.

Moderator: Dave Roberts

Trump's Evangelical Rally

Postby Dave Roberts » Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:38 am

I watched just a bit of the Trump Evangelical Rally in Miami last night. What disturbed me more than anything else was the offering of prayers that were only a political speech aimed at the audience and the cameras. Is prayer nothing more than a counting of justices, embassy moves, and executive orders limiting climate change? I've heard some Democratic prayers in the past, but this seemed to flagrantly flaunt telling God what he should do rather than seeking to submit to God's will. Am I the only one bothered by the corruptions of our faith in the political season?
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Re: Trump's Evangelical Rally

Postby Haruo » Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:16 am

My guess is you're not alone in this. On the other hand, some of the prayers in the Bible (even some of those in the Psalms) look an awful lot like the genre you're objecting to, don't they?
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:24 am

Never have liked this stuff but it’s been standard fare for A-A churches for generations.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:46 am

Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:21 pm

Sandy

Postby William Thornton » Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:04 pm

Stating the obvious. I said that I didn’t like the civil religion, political ecclesiastical approach.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:03 pm

If you are talking to your audience in prayer rather than God, you aren't really praying.

I am also not fond of the prayers that are really part of the speech/sermon.
Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:43 am

I am opposed to anything being brought into the life of the church that is not directly related to its mission and purpose. I endured several weeks of shrieking and lip flapping when I was the interim at the last SBC church I served in Houston for refusing to allow Eagle Forum to use our fellowship hall without paying the rental fee we required for all outside, non-church related groups. A couple of our ladies were part of the local chapter and they assumed ideological compatibility meant "church related." I said no, it didn't and they would need to fork over the rental money and also agree to our catering rules for their lunch preparation prior to the meeting being put on the schedule.

I would be in disagreement with the practices of many African American churches when it comes to bringing candidates into services and allowing them time to speak to the congregation. Were I a member of a church that did that, I'd object and I feel strongly enough about it that if my objection wasn't at least taken seriously, I'd leave the church and since I see it as an issue of being faithful to the church's mission and Biblical function, I'd most likely leave if the practice wasn't discontinued. Most African American churches I've observed who do this, however, always extend an invitation to all candidates, not just the one they like. In that, they're different than this Evangelical pep rally was. Frankly, the way they went about it was, as far as I am concerned, a declaration of their apostasy.
Sandy

Return to Baptist Faith & Practice Forum