[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Colonoscopy (and hymns)

Colonoscopy (and hymns)

Open discussion on general Baptist-related topics of interest to Baptists around the world.

Moderator: Dave Roberts

Colonoscopy (and hymns)

Postby Haruo » Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:12 am

I had my first full colonoscopy yesterday. In preparation for it, I sang at Song Circle Sunday night.

I also looked to see what there might be in the way of pertinent, or at least faux-pertinent, hymns. I combed the hymnary.com database for occurrences of "bowels", and found 90 instances. Here's , in my opinion.

And I was indeed blessed with an invitation to return in ten years.
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Re: Colonoscopy (and hymns)

Postby Dave Roberts » Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:56 am

So glad the results were good.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:48 am

Isn't there a verse in the KJV about "bowels of compassion?" Its one of my favorite arguments about using something written in more modern English.
Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:39 am

[quote="Tim Bonney"]Isn't there a verse in the KJV about "bowels of compassion?" Its one of my favorite arguments about using something written in more modern English.[/quote]
Indeed. But the modern English version would be "intestines of compassion"! Generally I think modern versions go with "heart". This isn't so much a linguistic change as one of conception of the universe. It's like the shift from thinking of whales as fish to thinking of them as mammals and therefore NOT fish. Or whether tomatoes are fruit(s) or vegetables.

And I have no clue why BL.com didn't recognize its own quotation code there.

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:17 pm

is my favorite hymn referring to the compassionate Bowels of God.

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Rvaughn » Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:56 pm

Rvaughn

Postby Sandy » Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:27 pm

Age being one of those things that brings with it some physical adjustments, in 2015 I had about 45% of my colon removed due to a tumor. So I guess that means I don't have to sing all of the verses?
Sandy

Postby Haruo » Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:23 pm

Haruo
Site Admin

Return to Baptist Faith & Practice Forum