[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - A Lord's Prayer Question

A Lord's Prayer Question

Open discussion on general Baptist-related topics of interest to Baptists around the world.

Moderator: Dave Roberts

A Lord's Prayer Question

Postby Dave Roberts » Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:42 pm

I have never encountered any commentary reference to this, but as I was reading the Lord's Prayer in the King James format "forgive us our debts as we forgive our debtors," is it possible Jesus was not referring to trespasses as our common offenses but was making an economic statement for the keeping of the Sabbath Year and the Year of Jubilees when all debts were to be forgiven and everyone could go back to ancestral holdings, even if they had been mortgaged during the normal years? If so, then we have spiritualized the central prayer of our faith rather than living out its precepts. What do you think?
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Re: A Lord's Prayer Question

Postby Haruo » Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:59 pm

Haven't ever thought about it, and don't know what to think, but I do find it interesting that in in verses 14 and 15, which appear to be part of Jesus' exposition of his just-debuted prayer, he uses a different word, which KJV does render as trespasses. ὀφειλήματα vs. παραπτώματα
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:07 am

Dr. Page Kelley, one of my OT profs, always stressed that the best interpretation of scripture is always by other scripture, so I guess his idea still percolates through my brain from time to time.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Rvaughn » Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:27 am

1 And it came to pass, that, as he was praying in a certain place, when he ceased, one of his disciples said unto him, Lord, teach us to pray, as John also taught his disciples.
2 And he said unto them, When ye pray, say, Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done, as in heaven, so in earth.
3 Give us day by day our daily bread.
4 And forgive us our sins; for we also forgive every one that is indebted to us. And lead us not into temptation; but deliver us from evil.

The Luke 11 passage seems to use sins and debts synonymously.
Rvaughn

Postby Dave Roberts » Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:53 am

I still can't help wondering about the possible link to the Sabbath Year and the Year of Jubilees. That's certainly a biblical ethic that has gotten little play in a capitalist society.

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:46 am

I’ve been told (Rev Dr. G Todd Wilson and Rev Howard Williams) that the word (alternately translated debts, trespasses and sins) really implies a monetary “debt”. If that be true, it is another radical teaching from Jesus that Western “civilized” people just cannot accept. I (no expert in Greek or in Jesus’s time) don’t think it is necessarily talking about the formal/literal Jubilee normalization of debts in sabbath years; but it does mean radical and generous cancelation/lessening of debts (both forgiving our own debts {easy} and forgiving debts we hold on others {not so easy}). As in other matters in the Sermon on the Mount, our inner attitudes are at issue as much or more so than outward acts.

Translated to our world, at a minimum we ought to:
a) not allow payday lenders/credit cards who charge exorbitant interest rates (say over 10% a year)
b) return all estate money to a collective source of money (say to reduce our national debt) when one dies (exception wife) and not pass it on to offspring or anyone else. Yes that amounts to a 100% estate tax at all estate levels. This has the side benefits of restoring the USA to our claim of being a 'Land of Equal Opportunity’ and substantially reducing our national debt.

Transition to these more Jesus-following approaches in the civilized world would take a long time and probably too utopian to bring about (may already be in place in the uncivilized world). But the two steps above can be implemented, if it can be politically handled (Christians should be on the side of Jesus).
Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:03 am

Sandy

Postby Dave Roberts » Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:30 am

The question about inner attitudes is, "Do inner attitudes mean anything if they do not produce outward acts?" That's one of my struggles about our attitudes. Was James right, "Faith without works is dead, being alone"?

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:45 am

Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:56 am

An old pastor friend once told me, "Jesus told us not to be judges of each other, but he did invite us to be fruit inspectors."

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Return to Baptist Faith & Practice Forum