[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Amy Butler

Amy Butler

Open discussion on general Baptist-related topics of interest to Baptists around the world.

Moderator: Dave Roberts

Amy Butler

Postby Chris » Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:00 am

I read that Amy Butler has ended her tenure at Riverside Church (NYC). Anyone know howcum?
Jesus paid the price for me and everybody.
Chris

Re: Amy Butler

Postby William Thornton » Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:33 am

My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:49 am

In recent years Riverside has not been able to keep a pastor for very long.
Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:34 pm

I had heard something about two years ago about the Riverside system. The five-year renewable contract is certainly different from what most of us have experienced, but I can't help wondering if it helps or hurts the congregation. I don't always agree with Amy, but I have always been impressed with her. I had the privilege of hearing her in person while she was at Calvary in DC.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:29 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:47 am

"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

George Mason

Postby Stephen Fox » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:22 pm

Influential with CBF at Wilshire in Dallas had a great take on his facebook wall when this happened but I can no longer find it. If you see it somewhere, please post cause nobody in my hearing had a better take.

This could be an interesting conversation Sept 15

https://www.wilshirebc.org/about-wilshi ... niversary/
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Postby William Thornton » Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:15 am

https://nypost.com/2019/07/11/pastor-ou ... cusations/

NYT has the story but I can't get to it. If accurate, bit of a letdown for butler fans.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:47 pm

Funny, in a sad way.
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:22 am

I read the NYT version, which contains most of the Daily News material and also material pointing the other direction. I really don't know what to make of the sex-toy shopping expedition. I hope a cogent history of her tenure at Riverside is published before I'm too old to read it.

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:22 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:27 am

Not that Al Mohler is quotable to my mod/lib friends here, but...

Well, it says something about the trajectory of theological liberalism in the US that the Riverside Church in NYC gets from Harry Emerson Fosdick to this within a century:

From Fosdick to protester Sloan Coffin to sex toys. The story is appalling.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:24 am

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:20 pm

Buying sex toys is no crime and the cases of sex abuse are criminal. No comparison between the two.

Riverside Church is the pinnacle of liberal theological thought and practice. The manner in which the relationship was ended was shocking, even if sex toys is no big deal. But look for celebrity clergy to be profitable even if not anchored to any congregation.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:07 pm

Today, it was announced that two other clergy staff members from Riverside have resigned. Don't know more than that except that they resigned in support of Butler.

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Butler at Wilshire with George Mason Sept 30

Postby Stephen Fox » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:33 pm

"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Postby Tim Bonney » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:27 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:46 pm

Probably what is most annoying about Al's statement is that anytime something goes wrong in a church more progressive than the SBC he seems to find that as a way to take a dig at progressive theology and progressive churches in general rather than what is usually true, individual churches and pastors of all theological stripes screw up sometimes.
Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:17 pm

The narrative keeps evolving. I actually enjoyed reading some of her stuff but this was a personal disaster. Lots of pastors get forced out but few with a severance of a half million.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:21 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:03 am

I think it's in one of the ny post stories. Insiders went to the NYT and post to. A year's salary and housing. Pretty sweet deal but they can afford it.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:48 am

Last edited by KeithE on Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:42 am

For clergy pay you have to add salary and housing. So $350k plus benefits. I don't care what a church pays their minister. I know of a couple of SBC churches that agreed to a year's severance.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:34 am

Life in the Big Apple is steep, even if Victoria's Secret is having a Prime Days sale in memory of Jeffrey Epstein. A 405K$ severance package will only last a few weeks there. Hope she has another gig lined up.

I must say I think it's appalling that a pastor, brick-and-mortar or virtual, would demand such an income. Even in NYC. Now I feel like I need to read a few of her sermons.

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:32 pm

Last edited by KeithE on Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Next

Return to Baptist Faith & Practice Forum