[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Jack Harwell, RIP

Jack Harwell, RIP

Open discussion on general Baptist-related topics of interest to Baptists around the world.

Moderator: Dave Roberts

Jack Harwell, RIP

Postby William Thornton » Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:52 pm

Surprised my mod friends didn't note this.

Harwell was my state paper editor until Al Mohler replaced him. In those days the state papers controlled the news flow and almost all were adamantly anti-CR. He is remembered as a free press guy but few of the editors in the early CR days were as biased. Ironically, he did much to advance the CR. Just my opinion.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Re: Jack Harwell, RIP

Postby JE Pettibone » Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:16 pm

JE Pettibone

Re: Jack Harwell, RIP

Postby Neil Heath » Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:59 pm

We plan to attend the memorial service for Jack on Saturday, the 26th.
Neil Heath
Neil Heath
Site Admin

Harwell and Lolley played baseball

Postby Stephen Fox » Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:39 pm

at Samford, old Howard College in Bama if I am not mistaken.

I think I mentioned elsewhere I was at Wieuca Road Jan 25 88 when Bill Self had his classmate Lolley in town right after Harwell was fired by William Thornton's friends.

In 68 He called Martin King his brother and his circulation went down ten thousand. Jill Lepore in her chapter Battle Line in her great book These Truths follows the insights of Wuthnow in Rough Country to show the connections of Phyliss Schlafly and the Birch Society underpinnings that drove Pressler, Adrian Rogers and Jesse Helms.

And it took down Jack Harwell too.
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Return to Baptist Faith & Practice Forum