[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Anniversary...

Anniversary...

Open discussion on general Baptist-related topics of interest to Baptists around the world.

Moderator: Dave Roberts

Re: Anniversary...

Postby William Thornton » Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:02 am

David is more liberal than when he started here.

I'm not mad at anyone here and I wouldn't argue that this type of place is almost an anachronism. I enjoy the interaction, always have. Politics just doesn't seem to be a subject that leads to anything good.

The church I attend in my retirement says exactly nothing about politics in worship, communications, or anything else. We get into a political discussion occasionally in my 10-15 person small group but never get very deep with it.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:22 am

"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:39 am

If this forum dies (and I hope it doesn’t), please keep it alive for a while. I have made many big efforts to dig up facts/DATA that drive my viewpoints. These efforts are recorded herein.
Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Most timely anniversary reminder

Postby Stephen Fox » Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:06 pm

Just a few days ago where Bonney took me to the woodshed for never ending "rants" on the fundamentalist takeover of theSBC, he also painted this site and all of us I guess about 12 active participants as dinosaurs and said we should take the chatter to a Facebook wall or something. I disagree, these 15 years have been chocked full of japery of various merit, and if for no other reason, dinosaurs though we may be, a great reference for low grade analysis of Baptist matters of all degrees.

So I say let's embark on Each One Win One, maybe even declare amnesty for all but a few family members, and may we go for another 15 until the last Obituary!!!!!
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Postby Tim Bonney » Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:08 pm

Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:11 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:53 pm

I think you have, Timothy. Would be difficult to be SBC. I guess everyone here is to my left, Sandy only slightly I think. Seems the gaps are greater politically.

This is all an example of folks with considerable differences being friends which is why I hate to see people get fed up and quit. I suppose I am less emotionally invested in issues here.

Guess you had a Sunday off like everyone around here.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:10 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

A dozen or more

Postby Stephen Fox » Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:31 pm

would be good.

Wouldnt hurt if Bruce Gourley were a lot more active than he has been lately.

And the likes of David Currie and John Pierce and some other of the big boys jump in on occasion. For instance the new rightward turn in the SBC deserves their take here I would think.

And Paul Baxley and somebody from the Alliance should drop by on occasion.
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Postby John Sneed » Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:16 pm

I am still here. I watch this website every single day. I don't post much because, as mentioned, I usually end up regretting it. So, I read, but post very little. I will mention, sometimes I think I am in a different universe than the people who post here, but I bear no ill will towards anyone who posts here. Not a soul. And William, I think I am to your right. If not, we are very close.

I don't think everyone here is my friend, but I have made friends of several of the people here. When David lost his position all those years ago, I offered to write a recommendation letter for him. He declined. I believe he thinks I was too "fundamentalist" for him, or that I would attempt to sabotage him. My intent at the time, was to write him a very forward and cordial recommendation. I like David. It is true, by the way, that, before I was an SB pastor, I had been a member of an IFB church. But the IFB group was far too tight a fit for me. Like a necktie tied too tight. I was happier as ab SB.

I still count several people here as friends. Bruce had constructive advice for me as I worked my way through the thesis for my master's degree. I recently retired from the workforce to devote more time to my disabled wife. I am about a year away from finishing my PhD in education. So, I have several irons in the fire. But I keep up with you all every day. To you all, stay safe. Be well.
John Sneed

Postby Dave Roberts » Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:30 am

"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:36 am

Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:18 pm

Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby John Sneed » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:39 pm

Keith,

Thank you for your reply to my post. I meant to answer you sooner but I was preparing for the comprehensive exams and everything took a back seat to that. By the way, I passed.

I appreciate the information about the Coopers. When I finished my thesis and the first copy went online I got a call from the son who wanted to get a copy of it. But it was one phone call and I lost his contact information almost immediately. I will certainly, thanks to your help, be getting back in touch with them.

Well, Springfield in going on a 30 lock down starting at midnight tonight (Thursday at 12:01 am central time). This will be fun (not). Stay safe and stay well out there. People have started like crazy people and several shootings have been reported in and around the Springfield area. I hope those are more rumors than fact, but caution is the watchword I think.

I wish you well "Radical Liberal Keith."

John
John Sneed

Postby Bruce Gourley » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:00 pm

It is indeed hard to believe it has been 20 years. Wow. So many friends we've all made through the forums. Some we've lost. Some are not doing so well as the years have passed.

In recent years I've been pretty much absent the discussions due to so much else going on in my life and, I'll confess, less of an interest in the forum format. I am aware of the problems of having this forum as http rather than a secure https, which would require quite a bit of additional cost to make happen. And I know that keeping hacker and spammers out is a herculean effort (in this case, Hercules is Leland!).

For what it is worth, I would concur with those of you suggesting that the time for forums like this is pretty much past, and that moving to a FB Group would be easier and quicker and even more intuitive these days to access and use, albeit losing the archive ability that we have with the forums. (We could in effect shut down the forums and archive the posts.)

I know I would be more likely to rejoin the conversation to some degree if it were a FB Group.

- Bruce
Bruce Gourley
BaptistLife.Com owner

Bruce Gourley
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:35 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Leland Bryant Ross » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:37 pm

I've started a number of FB groups and am willing to give it a go.
Leland Bryant Ross

Postby Leland Bryant Ross » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:57 pm

A few of you have been added; you're all welcome to join. If you're not on Facebook you can still visit; not sure if you can post. Kind of doubt it, but y'never know.

Leland Bryant Ross

Postby Leland Bryant Ross » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:00 pm

Haven't been able to add William or John. If you guys want to join, feel free.
Leland Bryant Ross

Postby Leland Bryant Ross » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:01 pm

Or David Flick.
Leland Bryant Ross

Postby Haruo » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:55 pm

Happy to see John Sneed signed on to the FB group, as well as Bruce, Neil and Timothy.

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Leland Bryant Ross » Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:30 pm

William's there, too, now. Missing the two Davids, Ed, Fox... though Winston did a drive-by. ;-)
Leland Bryant Ross

Postby David Flick » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:53 pm

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby Joseph Patrick » Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:19 am

Joseph Patrick

Postby Haruo » Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:48 pm

David and Gerry Joseph, what are your names on FB? I can try to send you an invitation.

Haruo
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Baptist Faith & Practice Forum