[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - More Wealth Redistribution To the Rich

More Wealth Redistribution To the Rich

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: Jon Estes

More Wealth Redistribution To the Rich

Postby Bruce Gourley » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:32 am

We've Adam Smith's principle that national economic well-being is tied to wealth redistribution: the greater a nation's wealth gap between rich and poor, the more unhealthy and even ruinous a given economy. Too great a wealth gap, in short, will ruin a nation, according to Smith. America's own economic failings, coming against the backdrop of a wealth gap equivalent to those of Third World nations, mirrors Smith's warnings.

Even before the Great Recession, America's redistribution of wealth to the rich had reached Third World proportions. In 2007, that the 400 richest Americans owned more wealth than the bottom 150,000,000 million Americans (that is, the 400 richest Americans own as much as does approximately 50% of the American population). (The entirety of the article linked above is worth a read; it reveals some eye-popping stats regarding America's widening wealth gap and how the richest of the rich are contributing less and less to America's tax coffers.)

And now the wealth gap is widening even more. As alerted by an article in the Wall Street Journal this morning, the Great Recession is throwing even more money at the rich while taking from the poor. "The incidence of underemployment problems in the fourth quarter of 2009 was 13 times higher among those workers in the bottom household income decile as opposed to those residing in the top decile of the income distribution (20.6% vs. 1.6%)." (). Broken down another way, among the top 10% of richest Americans, the unemployment rate is 3%, while among the poorest 10% of Americans, the unemployment rate is 31%.

The question is, will America's politicians have the backbone to heed Adam Smith's warnings about redistributing wealth to the rich, and take action in time to avert a total economic collapse in America?
Bruce Gourley
BaptistLife.Com owner

Bruce Gourley
Site Admin

Re: More Wealth Redistribution the Rich

Postby ET » Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:37 pm

I'm Ed Thompson, and I approve this message.
ET

Re: More Wealth Redistribution the Rich

Postby Dave Roberts » Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:54 pm

Part of the issue here is the export of our manufacturing to overseas locations. In my dad's generation there were manufacturing jobs for most of those who wanted one that were available or there were service jobs supported by the manufacturing sector's income that provided a far better living wage. A man working in one of those could support his family and could often rise into the middle class by buying a home and building equity in what he had purchased. Now, jobs are often with WalMart or Lowe's, and a couple both working there will still be skating on the edge of poverty in many cases. I live in a community that has a 13% unemployment rate, a largely unskilled work force, a declining manufacturing base in which small niche manufacturers are replacing the big employers of the past. Our largest single employer is the Department of Corrections that provides about 2,500 jobs in this county. This means that there are certainly those who have a fair degree of wealth but most of the area is lacking in what is needed. Those who can leave the area, and those who do not face a daunting challenge to find and retain work. It's not a case of being unwilling to work. It's the fact that we no longer have the manufacturing base in this country with its supporting wages to allow the middle class to rise.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Re: More Wealth Redistribution To the Rich

Postby Jonathan » Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:49 am

I just got my 2 copies (2 different editions...one is more annotated than the other) of Smith's "...the Wealth of Nations" back and think that I may have found some of my notes from that econ class from the Fall of '86 or Spring of '87. When I read Bruce's comment about how Smith actually supports his centrally planning position, something just seemed wrong. As I'm digging through my Smith and my notes on Smith and some commentaries that I have on Smith (as an aside, I think that I did waaaay too much study on economics for a student of mechanical and industrial engineering...I do admire folks like Bruce who had the discipline to focus on a single area all the way to a terminal degree). At some point, I'll either say "Bruce was right" or start a new thread correcting the record on Smith.

Now, Mark and other wiseacres can have some cut and paste fun with the above paragraph...
"There is a simple way to get corporate money out of politics: get the government out of our lives and economic affairs. If government has no favors to sell, no one will spend money trying to win them." - John Stossel
Jonathan

Postby Mark » Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:30 pm

Mark

Postby Jonathan » Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:20 pm

"There is a simple way to get corporate money out of politics: get the government out of our lives and economic affairs. If government has no favors to sell, no one will spend money trying to win them." - John Stossel
Jonathan

Return to Politics and Public Policy Issues