Trump Reprisal

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: Jon Estes

Trump Reprisal

Postby KeithE » Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:45 am

(Moving from to this more appropriate forum)

Truth is I was leery about Trump’s character/leadership/honesty when he was elected (and I was right to be so).

But I had real hopes that Trump would do some good - namely doing what promised:
1) get our military out of the Middle East
2) a $1T infrastructure program
3) improve the economy for the middle class
4) overturn Roe vs Wade

He did none of that.

BTW, Inequality (a long term ill that I have tracked for decades) has gotten somewhat worse.
(awaiting 2019 DATA)

Instead he has:

1) lied to the American people to the tune of approx 50 lies a day
2) sided with authoritative leaders around the world
3) displayed cruelty at the border
4) ignored scientific and academic experts in favor of his arrogant “gut”.
5a) mishandled the pandemic. Statistics show that ~98.5% of the deaths could have been avoided if we followed the stringency South Korea followed and ~70% avoided if we followed what Germany did) How many needless Covid-19 deaths were caused by delays in responding? Most of them. Sorry but that is what the DATA shows.
5b) all in name of protecting the economy which has flailed anyway (much worse than the 2008 recession)
5c) and Trump has shown little leadership in bringing relief to millions of Americans

Even today he is:

1) focussing on election grievances (the worse election loser in US history)
2) raising money for himself Trump raised more than $170 million appealing on false election claims
3) perhaps stoking a violent insurrection (Proud boys, etc “standing by”, Trump loyalists planted in DoD) - let's hope not.

IMHO he has been the worse President in American history and we must end all remnants of Trumpism (mainly ensconced in what used to be the Republican Party)/
Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Re: Trump Reprisal

Postby Haruo » Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:35 am

I think Trump's been a pretty bad president, and he's certainly acting like the worst loser in US presidential election history. But what on earth do you mean about "ending" all remnants of Trumpism? Deport all who refuse to endorse Biden's victory to Brazil?
Haruo (呂須•春男) = ᎭᎷᎣ = Leland Bryant Ross
Repeal the language taxLearn and use Esperanto
Fremont Baptist ChurchMy hymnblog
Haruo
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Mon Dec 14, 2020 3:27 pm

Zzzzz...
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog, SBC Plodder
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Mon Dec 14, 2020 3:56 pm

Haruo wrote:I think Trump's been a pretty bad president, and he's certainly acting like the worst loser in US presidential election history. But what on earth do you mean about "ending" all remnants of Trumpism? Deport all who refuse to endorse Biden's victory to Brazil?

OK that was overstated if you are taking it the way you did. It is too much to hope for that all Trumpism will die anytime soon. And I certainly do not advocate deportation or a terrible Covid death to the unmasked. But I can hope that support for Trumpism falls to a fringe 10%. Trumpism is (among other things) a disease that feels that individualistic freedom should rule all matters of national affairs; government just needs to get out of the way is the grievance (and hope for improvement). It is believed that collective government action for the common good should be spat at with vitriol, name calling (e.g. “gummint”), and threats of violence. That has to end if we are to join the progress towards a more perfect union. Just having Biden at the helm will not do it; it will not fully happen in our lifetimes, Haruo. But I would like to see attitudes change starting in the church universal (a real movement of the Spirit) and with Covid relief to the hurting, the jobless, the displaced and the hungry.

After Covid recovery, a realistic path is to start a very substantial infrastructure program (at least $1T over 4 year Biden term) with good paying jobs (livable-comfortable wages) for construction workers/accountability agents/mental health workers/clean energy jobs (among others beneficial efforts to be identified). When all classes of Americans (and recalcitrant Christians) see the improvement, Trumpism will wane and the country will be open to more social programs like Medicare for All which graces most advanced countries in the world today at 1/2 the cost.

This fear of large deficits is not credible - my whole adult life I've been told the country will fall apart (Inflation run rampant) if the deficit reached $500B by 1972, then $1T by 1980, then $5T by 1995, then $10T by 2010. It now stands at $26.7T as of Sept 2020.
Historic US Cumulative National Deficits
Inflation has been minimal (<3%, 2% is considered optimal) since 1992 and the economy has not fallen apart (until perhaps this pandemic - yet to be seen).
US Historic Inflation Rates

This is not just Keith Noren talking. Read about new economic thinking: Modern Monetary Theory for why this is so. Or listen to Stephanie Kelton. Or if interested read her book The Deficit Myth.

This gives me hope for the world; it can help you as well (if you give it a chance) - God is pulling for us.
Last edited by KeithE on Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:36 pm

I renew my call for divided gummit. You should find some real haters out there. There are plenty to choose from.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:54 pm

William Thornton wrote:I renew my call for divided gummit. You should find some real haters out there. There are plenty to choose from.

Well that takes the cake. A retired minister telling me to find some “real haters” out there.

He prefers to sleep through political and economic discussion and that is his prerogative. But to awake and tell me to rally with “haters” is sub-Christian.
Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:42 pm

KeithE wrote:
William Thornton wrote:I renew my call for divided gummit. You should find some real haters out there. There are plenty to choose from.

Well that takes the cake. A retired minister telling me to find some “real haters” out there.

He prefers to sleep through political and economic discussion and that is his prerogative. But to awake and tell me to rally with “haters” is sub-Christian.

My old friend, if you want to take shots at Americans who do bad stuff you should look beyond those who use the word “gummit.”

I’m remembering why this forum died.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:46 pm

William Thornton wrote:
KeithE wrote:

My old friend, if you want to take shots at Americans who do bad stuff you should look beyond those who use the word “gummit.”

I’m remembering why this forum died.

Any forum such as this is deadened when responders fail to reply meaningfully to posts that delve into and display facts and instead only take “shots” at each other.

My “shot” (at you) was to ministers calling on people to rally up with “haters”; but I offered a lot more. Your prior shot (at me) was to call my mind “addled” (whose meaning is “confused”). Why not try to straighten me out?

If all you have to add is “shots”, go back to zzzz...zzzz

Anyone else have some takes on Donald Trump that they want to share?
Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Return to Politics and Public Policy Issues