[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Tump’s Mega Decision

Tump’s Mega Decision

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: Jon Estes

Tump’s Mega Decision

Postby KeithE » Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:50 am

A man who is running for re-election should not be allowed to make this decision. Let alone one who trusts his gut more than Look this DATA over (it is difficult to copy here). Our slope is still going up rapidly (accelerating actually) and (imo as well as Fauci’s and Burx's) we should continue our “stay at home” policies and extend it over all states who may still be at the base of the slope.

Meanwhile our President believes he made no mistakes. He did some things right - e.g. travel restrictions on China on Jan 31. But he was in denial and took no actions in February (read ). He only turned to half-hearted public health measures on and announced his/Fauci's/Burx's Coronavirus Guidelines with the onset of his daily COVID-19 briefing which began on March 16. That 15 days should be extended as long as our cases are growing and then some. 15 days was wishful thinking. But OK, just extend it as needed.

I understand the tradeoffs of economics vs health. Many people (poor to rich) will die early due to the economic turndown. I understand more people will die of flu and car accidents as of today. But deaths from flu, car accidents, poverty based deaths due economic turndown, etc. are not seeing an accelerating increase right now - they are relatively flat rates. We must fix the health crisis first (and completely), then deal with the economic fallout which is very bad now but will only get worse if he health crisis is not solved. Do what China and South Korea did and why they are largely back to normal. Do what .

Nothing would make me happier than Trump makes the correct mega decision. I want to play bridge again and want my 401K to rebound.

I will continue to quarantine myself no matter what his “mega decision” is. Hope you will do the same and urge your family and friends to do so no matter what Trump decides.
Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Re: Tump’s Mega Decision

Postby William Thornton » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:30 am

CNN and Common Dreams, hardly unbiased sources. I agree with you that it is a mega-decision it is also, ultimately, a political decision, not a medical one, since compliance depends on voluntary actions of hundreds of millions of free citizens.

As Trump likes to say, we will see where this goes. We've got governors and mayors issuing orders here in Georgia.

Yesterday was the first of the virus press events I've watched, and I endured almost to the end. Dr. Birx was impressive, though I read some don't like her. The point that response thus far is a "blunt instrument" and can be improved with data was a good one.

Suppose Biden were president. Egad, what a mess. I want to like the guy and am slightly persuadable about voting for him (would be no chance if Bernie or Hil were the nominee) but he looks bad, sounds bad. Trump might be all over the lot with stream of consciousness, endless blather but I believe he will end up in the right place on this. He moderated his comments.

Then there's Schumer and Pelosi, gonna solve global warming, gonna reward unions, gonna give lots of pork along with money for businesses and individuals. What a disgrace.

This might be indelicate but I'm near "a pox on both your houses" stage.

I know enough about technocrats and generals to understand that important political decisions should not be left in their hands.
________

...reporting from the survival bunker.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:31 am

It will be a disaster if Trump ends the social distancing before the medical experts say we should. And it will cause this virus to hang around a whole lot longer. I wonder a few few Senators don’t which they had convicted him and got him out of office while they had the chance.
Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:33 am

Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:24 am

Last edited by KeithE on Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:32 am

William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:34 am

Pox on both gop and dem.

Your self-centeredness is showing again.

The country is a democratic republic, run by politicians elected by people. You want a technocracy. Buy an island.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:41 am

Last edited by KeithE on Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:47 am

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:57 am

Let's have a spittin' contest, shall we. I've always had affection for you and Timothy. You think the worst.

I'll be more careful when quoting Shakespeare here for my literary challenged friends.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:57 am

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:01 am

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:03 am

...OK, make my point, bro.

Bye for now.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Joseph Patrick » Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:02 pm

From Gerry Milligan ... If you are suffering from appendicitis to whom do you go for help? I can assure you that I would not go to a plumber, but a physician. Our narcissistic president thinks he knows more than doctors, epidemiologists, or even Dr. Fauci, when he seeks to placate big business and billionaires. My thought is that he is thinking more of his legacy than citizens of the USA.
Joseph Patrick

Postby William Thornton » Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:18 pm

Your comment is rife with ideology, nothing wrong with that.

These are inherently political decisions at some stage.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Return to Politics and Public Policy Issues