[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Quarantined?

Quarantined?

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: Jon Estes

Quarantined?

Postby KeithE » Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:48 am

Just a question. How many of you are quarantining yourself (by that I mean staying at home)? What is your experience?

I am quarantining at home, but I’m retired with SS, savings. And we have an estimated 2 weeks worth of food in the freezer (mostly soup). My wife did leave Monday to do payroll at the doctor office she works at very part-time. But this is the only time either of us have driven anywhere since last Friday. I am getting outdoors to walk a greenway and to pressure washing my patio (driveway to come). We do have our 14 year grandson with us since Friday after school and playing games with him; but his parents want him back and are coming to get him today.

I’m finding it difficult. I imagine Haruo is more concerned about getting out than most of us, being in a much affected (infected) area.
Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Re: Quarantined?

Postby William Thornton » Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:58 am

I'm moderately quarantined. Maybe a trip to the post office or store. No eating out or being in crowds.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:08 am

I'm not as quarantined as recommended, since CDC recommends that I shelter in place. Almost every morning I get Mrs H a pair of McGriddles with a folded egg between. Today I may try to get her a hamburger from Canlis's parking-lot "Drive-on-through". I tried yesterday but they were sold out when I got there, so I went to church, chatted with the pastor, got Fish and chips at Ivar's, and ran by our maildrop in Eastlake. After delivering the fish home, I sped off to McClendon's for fruit fly traps, the buggers having recently stopped hibernating. Then to Burger King for Whoppers for dinner. (Our oven isn't working.)
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:11 am

I am concerned about exposure, but most of what I do doesn't involve being in close proximity to others, and I think my riskiest visit was probably on Monday when I went to the hospital for a scheduled appointment.

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:29 am

Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Joseph Patrick » Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:56 pm

From Gerry Milligan ... Here in Portland, OR. several grocery chains are trying to accommodate those of us older folks. My wife's favorite store has stopped being open 24 hours and yesterday it opened at 7:00 AM to try to "limit exposure of shoppers!" Big failure. There were 200 shoppers in line at 7:00 and many areas were closed as employees were still stocking. Target opens one hour early on Wednesdays; while Albertsons and Safeway open one hour early on Tuesdays and Thursdays for older shoppers. Unsure if I will need to show aa photo ID with my birthdate so that I could go in.
We are wanting to try ordering online, but the stores that really offer online shopping my wife will not go (Safeway, (too expensive) and Walmart (just being dysfunctional Walmart)
We too are retired with social security and Guidestone to help with any bills we get. I wonder if the postal workers, the numerous people who handles each piece of mail. Do any of them have a symptom-free virus?
This imposed "quarantine" lets us get ahead of the Bible studies that both my wife and I individually lead. If this goes on long enough, I will have the four gospels outlined for the Bible study.
And the whole time I am sitting at my computer in my skivvy shorts, not worrying about interruptions.
Joseph Patrick

Postby John Sneed » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:53 pm

I am like William. We are not going out right now, although if we run out of something we will go get it. Otherwise, everyone in the household is working hard to find things to pass the time. I am prepping for my oral comps, I have a research paper due in a week, and a small mountain of research articles aching to be read. I hope at the end of all this, we will all be here to talk about our experiences. Be well.
John Sneed

Postby Haruo » Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:54 pm

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Neil Heath » Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:43 am

I'm busy building a storage shed for all my lawn care and garden tools, so I go out for building materials periodically, but have plenty to do at home. Our minister of music is helping since church events are cancelled and he's not one to sit for long. Pretty much every restaurant is closed except for drive-thru orders, so I miss going out to eat. Good books and Netflix will get us thru this.
Neil Heath
Neil Heath
Site Admin

A suggestion for random testing

Postby Stephen Fox » Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:43 pm

I never was too good at Biscuits, But do one favor for me and suggest to Big Bro the Speaker of the House, random testing across the state of late teens to early 20 somethings. I think some smart use of the tests that are available could help identify culprits that could sabotage and tank us all
Edit or delete this
· Reply · 1m
Stephen M. Fox
Stephen M. Fox That group are stealth carriers. And with the sacrifice of the rest of us, seems to me mindless not to put a little Wayne Whiteside discipline to em. And again I think random mandatory testing of that group is very smart move. I'll take the Order of the Palmetto award if you put into effect immediately if not sooner.

The above is a facebook message I just left for the sister of the Speaker of the House of SC. Lifelong friends of the family. My smarteest suggestion after watching the noontime press briefings almost daily this last week. I think the quarantine should enter a smarter phase as testing becomes more available, a version of what I understand S Korea to have done.
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Thornton diary

Postby Stephen Fox » Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:46 pm

"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Postby William Thornton » Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:53 pm

Worked on my lawnmowers today. Have 3 riding and 3 push. Why?
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:58 pm

Pretty close to quarantined. Iowa emergency declaration makes it illegal to gather in groups of more than 10 people. Right now my regular church services are canceled through Easter. We are doing our first live streaming worship service tomorrow.

We've shopped and picked up enough food to stay home. I'm working from home other than gathering with 2 other church staff to lead streaming tomorrow. We are doing Zoom church committee meetings for critical meetings. It is pretty weird.

Also this week my wife and I traveled to KC. Her father passed away. The funeral home would allow no more than 10 people at the funeral. So it was immediate family only. My daughter Facebook Live broadcasted the funeral for the rest of our family.
Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Return to Politics and Public Policy Issues