Biden tells autoworker he’s full of ****

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: Jon Estes

Re: Biden tells autoworker he’s full of ****

Postby Tim Bonney » Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:08 pm

Rvaughn wrote:But shouldn't it work both ways, if we are going to decry low level political speech? That is, if people hate Trump insulting people, why would they cheer when someone else does it?

No, not when the scale is so tremendously different. If Dems started making as big a deal out of Trumps daily, sometimes hourly lies and insults we’d not have time to do anything else. Trump has an entire log (No, and entire forest) sticking out of his eye and people want to pick a few splinters out of Biden’s eye.

Also, there is a difference between calling someone out on an absolute mistruth and Trump using insult to tear down the truth.

It is like when Tony Campolo told people that they didn’t give a sh!t that people around the world were starving. And, even worse, they were more upset he said sh!t than that people were starving.

Trump’s absolute dangerous incompetence is being shown daily in his Covet-19 response. More people may die because they believed his minimizations of the problem. More people may die because he and his administration are so absolutely unprepared for anything serious.

Harry S Truman was known for the occasional colorful language, and he was a lot better President than Trump could ever hope to be. Frankly the entire Trump Presidency is one big sh!t show.
Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:19 am

Haruo wrote:Robert has previously made it clear that he is not an apologist for Trump, did not vote for him, etc. But he left more because he sees the discussions here as pointless than because they are pointed. He has better things to do with his time and has gone off to do them. So to speak. I don't think anybody here attacked him, nor that he felt they did. But he did feel that some, perhaps most, of us here see Trump's failings as an appropriate excuse for not criticizing our own favorites. And I can see how he might feel that way.

Well I conceded that Schumer’s words were bad (plausibly interpretable as 'physical threats')
KeithE said:
In context Schumer was threatening political consequences in the 2020 elections if Roe vs Wade were to be overthrown by the SCOTUS. He wrongly (in my view) named just Gorsuch and Kavanaugh and has apologized for that and clarified what he meant.

I also went further to state the content of his speech to a pro-choice rally was wrong
KeithE said:
More important than Schumer’s verbal mistake in naming 2 Justices, is his support for abortion.

These quotes are taken from this post in the topic titled "Schumer threatens justices"

So I can hardly imagine the sentence in red above is accurate - I did criticize Schumer at least twice.

Now I noticed that William wrote another similar post (this “topic”) this time wrt Biden’s speech (no such scrutiny with any Republicans that I can remember). There I have not accepted William's criticism of Biden because I have been conditioned (rightly or wrongly) to not be aghast at words that were taboo in my childhood. These days I'm more in content than calling out “swearing”. Biden did well in correcting the exaggeration told by the autoworker.

BTW, neither Schumer or Biden are my “favorites”.
Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:31 am

Tim Bonney wrote:
Rvaughn wrote:But shouldn't it work both ways, if we are going to decry low level political speech? That is, if people hate Trump insulting people, why would they cheer when someone else does it?

No, not when the scale is so tremendously different. If Dems started making as big a deal out of Trumps daily, sometimes hourly lies and insults we’d not have time to do anything else. Trump has an entire log (No, and entire forest) sticking out of his eye and people want to pick a few splinters out of Biden’s eye.

Also, there is a difference between calling someone out on an absolute mistruth and Trump using insult to tear down the truth.

It is like when Tony Campolo told people that they didn’t give a sh!t that people around the world were starving. And, even worse, they were more upset he said sh!t than that people were starving.

Trump’s absolute dangerous incompetence is being shown daily in his Covet-19 response. More people may die because they believed his minimizations of the problem. More people may die because he and his administration are so absolutely unprepared for anything serious.

Harry S Truman was known for the occasional colorful language, and he was a lot better President than Trump could ever hope to be. Frankly the entire Trump Presidency is one big sh!t show.

Amen to all of that , especially what you said in blue above.

BTW, we should speak up more when we agree with a post.
Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:31 pm

William Thornton wrote:
I’m sorry to hear this.

Memo to my mod/lib friends: ihatetrump drives people away and that’s about all we get here. Hil lost. Trump won. Get over it.

RVaughn is far more reasonable than I. No one wants to put up with this, as Biden would put it, ****.

Haruo wrote: Robert has previously made it clear that he is not an apologist for Trump, did not vote for him, etc. But he left more because he sees the discussions here as pointless than because they are pointed. He has better things to do with his time and has gone off to do them. So to speak. I don't think anybody here attacked him, nor that he felt they did. But he did feel that some, perhaps most, of us here see Trump's failings as an appropriate excuse for not criticizing our own favorites. And I can see how he might feel that way.

Noting that this thread began with a flame post and no point of reference I guess my response is "Really?" Robert may have posted behind a screen of neutrality, claiming not to be a Trump supporter and not voting for him, along the lines of William's "Ain't got no dawg in this fight" perspective, also claiming not to have voted for Trump. But his expectation was for everyone else to accept and adopt his standard for measuring actions of our "star players" by applying a much higher and completely different standard to them than that which he obviously applies to Trump. It appears he got upset because his standard didn't get accepted and his "neutrality" was challenged, not disrespectfully or in a snarky manner, unlike the first post I cited above.

I don't think I've ever seen Robert or William initiate a post commenting or criticizing any of Trump's actions. In spite of professed "neutrality," and the claim that they didn't vote for Trump, I can't find a post in which either of them ever acknowledged or admitted that something, anything, Trump did was wrong or bad. It's unreasonable to expect the application of some kind of standard to one of our "star players" when you haven't established a standard or applied one to your star player, and excusing yourself because you didn't vote for him doesn't wash. It isn't Trump who gives us the "eternal out," it's those who don't apply any standard to his behavior.

It is impossible to reasonably discuss anything related to politics with right wingers. The admonition to "make a real effort to discuss matters in this forum with respect for our interlocutors" goes both ways. I've been posting here for a long time, including through the hit and run posts like this one that got started when the only response was deference to an ihateclinton or ihateobama mode. The finger wagging, "ihatetrump" response with the asterisks is duly noted, though I don't see anyone else complaining.

Please deactivate my account.
Sandy

Postby William Thornton » Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:52 pm

I said to give Biden a trophy. The guy gets points for it.

Suggest a Coronavirus temp hiatus here until we all stock up with toilet paper.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog, SBC Plodder
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:01 pm

Second the hiatus. Good luck finding toilet paper.
Haruo (呂須•春男) = ᎭᎷᎣ = Leland Bryant Ross
Repeal the language taxLearn and use Esperanto
Fremont Baptist ChurchMy hymnblog
Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:15 am

KeithE wrote:Amen to all of that , especially what you said in blue above.

BTW, we should speak up more when we agree with a post.

I agree with that. :-)
Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:32 am

Haruo wrote:Robert has previously made it clear that he is not an apologist for Trump, did not vote for him, etc. But he left more because he sees the discussions here as pointless than because they are pointed. He has better things to do with his time and has gone off to do them. So to speak. I don't think anybody here attacked him, nor that he felt they did. But he did feel that some, perhaps most, of us here see Trump's failings as an appropriate excuse for not criticizing our own favorites. And I can see how he might feel that way.

Haruo, I just don't get it. How can you compare one exchange with an autoworker with 1,000s of insults, lies and misstatements. There is just no comparison. If it was the cussing that bothered him I'd wager that Dems and GOPers can drop swear words at about an equal pace.

William, you need to drop the saw about "Hilary lost." That's such old news that it starts to sound like Fox's rantings about the SBC takover now decades and decades past. Who cares? We are four years past that. The problem isn't what did or didn't happen to Hilary. The problem is that Trump is the biggest disaster of a President in our history. I don't hate Trump. I'm terrified and horrified by his behavior.

As to why no one else is here but moderates and progressives, sure some people aren't here because they don't like our opinions. But let's be honest. I can go over on Facebook and find dozens of groups for Baptists, Methodists, Moderates, liberal, conservatives, combinations thereof. But we have almost NO new members here because we are using extremely ancient out of date software that almost no one uses anymore. And no one under the age of 50 wants to use these old kludgy forum system. (This one is half broken as it is.)

If you moved BaptistLife to Facebook I'm betting you could increase the membership of this group by dozens in days. But like folks who won't use screens in worship, this software forum turns us into a quaint backwater of the internet. It could be fixed if the group would move on to something at least semi-modern.

So don't sit in a backwater of the internet and just blame mod-libs for the lack of membership in the forum. This forum is small because it stays in a place where it will only be small.
Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:41 pm

I’m on a hiatus here. No need in thrashing this out.

The gov cancelled all church services and similar things here, so I’ll be home. Might work on taxes or pull weeds.

Am good on toilet paper.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog, SBC Plodder
William Thornton
Site Admin

I liked what Sandy said until

Postby Stephen Fox » Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:57 pm

I saw where he thought my rants about the SBC Takeover were annoying. Maybe it was Bonney Tim who said that. Well just in the last month, Edsall in the NY Times, Randall Balmer at Dartmouth and two days ago Religion dispatches were talking about the SBC Takeover for this Trump Moment.So whether Bonney wants to be relevant or not...... But I did think he had a good point about Robert and Thornton; then again I'm with William, Toilet paper really matters in Barrow County.

Here is what Furman grad Don Polaski said about J Falwell Jr carrying on Business as usual with in person in class instruction at Liberty!

I’m sure the good people of Lynchburg appreciate living next to a bigass Petri dish.
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

PS

Postby Stephen Fox » Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:59 pm

BL dot com is my favorite Backwater Tidal Basin. We know each other here and we are special so Carry On!!!!!
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Re: PS

Postby Tim Bonney » Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:43 pm

Stephen Fox wrote:BL dot com is my favorite Backwater Tidal Basin. We know each other here and we are special so Carry On!!!!!

Nothing wrong with that Stephen. But there are plenty of little churches that say, "Why don't we get new members?" But they are also doing everything the way they did in 1950. I like the people here. But, lets face it, this forum won't ever grow on this forums setup. Don't take me wrong, I so appreciate our intrepid colleague Bruce Gorley who set all this up. It was pretty cutting edge when he started this. This forum is now the church that refuses to sing new hymns, won't use a screen, and insists on a choir instead of a praise band even when the choir is just 4 or 5 gray hairs.

Basically, we are all singing to the choir here.
Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Politics and Public Policy Issues