[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - To send or not to send

To send or not to send

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: Jon Estes

To send or not to send

Postby Rvaughn » Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:31 pm

...that is the question.

The House has voted to impeach President Trump. It now goes to the Senate. When trying an impeachment, the Senate in effect becomes the jury and the supreme court.

However, there is now talk of the House withholding the articles of impeachment from the Senate, apparently to try to force the Senate to agree to their parameters for the trial. (I am not sure I understand this, exactly — I have not heard or read much yet, but this is how what I heard sounds.) Is this just more political circus? It is not like they have a different Senate from the one the House knew they would have to send the results to when they started impeachment proceedings.

I wonder if this actually has more to do with another part of the process. It is my understanding that under the Senates rules, Senators must be present for the trial every day (except Sunday, I think) until a final judgment is rendered. For however long the trial lasts, it would hog-tie the five Democratic senators who are currently running for president — Elizabeth Warren, Bernie Sanders, Amy Klobuchar, Cory Booker and Michael Bennet. They will be stuck serving as jurors in the trial of the incumbent of the president they are running to replace. This would seriously impede their ability both to campaign and raise funds, and surely give a leg up to their Democratic opponents (and I guess to Trump himself, as far as campaigning and fundraising).

It will be interesting to see how this plays out.
Rvaughn

Re: To send or not to send

Postby Sandy » Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:06 pm

Trump wants the senate trial over quickly, to keep it out of the news cycle and so that he can say, "Ok, see, I was exonerated." He is keenly aware, as his comments suggest, that the longer this lingers, the wider the gap grows between the majority who want him gone and the shrinking minority who still support him. Reading and absorbing facts has a way of changing minds, at least, if you're literate and can read. As long as the house hangs on to the articles, the impeachment stays in the news cycle. And knowing this president as well as they do, there is every likelihood that he will pull some other illegal act. Giuliani is already back in Ukraine sticking his nose into what isn't his business. That proves the bribery and "quid pro quo" that Republicans said was the "standard" for determining impeachment before they realized there was a quid pro quo. I'm certain there's an open channel between Russia and the Trump campaign for propaganda and money and perhaps help hacking into voting machines. If the articles stay open, the senate can't do anything and the Democrats can expand if necessary.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/if-the-se ... e-articles
Sandy

Postby Haruo » Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:13 pm

My guess is that the House will hold off as long as they can, unless the Senate agrees to a fairly robust set of rules about calling and hearing from witnesses. If the Senate agrees to allow the subpoenaing of the witnesses that Trump refused to allow in the House, then I would proceed with all due speed, if I were the House.
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:38 pm

Game of chess. I don't think the House has to send the articles. Suppose the Senate could sue them. If the House Dems want to control the Senate trial, maybe they should run for Senator from their states.

...but, there's another great debate tonight.

Biden is 77 years of age. Ready for a stroke, I hear.
Warren can't do math.
Buttegieg is the most intelligent sounding of the bunch.
Yang and Steyer...not exactly on fire.
Bern...forgotten.
Klobuchar...may kick some little "b" butt, tonight.

Missing Gabbard who has more guts than the rest.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Rvaughn » Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:24 pm

Rvaughn

Postby Sandy » Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:53 pm

Last edited by Sandy on Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sandy

Postby William Thornton » Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:51 am

Yes, Robert.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:32 am

The lack of respect for the Constitutional role of the Senate that McConnell displays is astounding.

McConnell’s abuse of power rivals that of Trump. The nation must not allow either of these men to be re-elected.
Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:05 am

William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:38 am

Sandy

Postby KeithE » Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:27 pm

Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Rvaughn » Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:53 pm

Rvaughn

Postby William Thornton » Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:59 pm

I'll go with being laconic, not iconic, in my senior bliss years.

Almost every Dem was on board. Any departure from the party line was courageous.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:56 pm

Sandy

Return to Politics and Public Policy Issues