[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Simon and Garfunkel were Right

Simon and Garfunkel were Right

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: Jon Estes

Simon and Garfunkel were Right

Postby KeithE » Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:14 am

In the song The Boxer, S&G said:

"A man hears what he wants to hear, and disregards the rest”.

That applies to the Mueller Report and the Mueller Testimony yesterday.

That applies to this Forum as well.
Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Re: Simon and Garfunkel were Right

Postby William Thornton » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:38 am

Er...ah...ah...um...eh...could you repeat that...
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby David Flick » Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:46 pm

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:30 pm

Well, as far as I can tell he did his job just fine. I must be a cricket. Not clear why he needs defenders.
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:40 pm

I've been on vacation in Arizona without access to the internet for a couple of days. No crickets here, Mueller did a great job even though the orange hair has tried, through continued obstruction and interference of the justice department, to continue to obstruct this information getting out. But it will.

I didn't expect a great oratory But from my perspective, his testimony was as damaging and as bad as it could be for Trump. Impeachment is a much stronger possibility and I think there will be enough public pressure on the 20 some odd Republican senators that now have to defend their seats to at least move toward a majority of senators voting to convict. Trump will be beaten soundly in the election if it gets that far and the day he leaves office, he'll be indicted for a dozen counts of obstruction and possibly two or three counts related to foreign interference in the election. The investigation and information, even without the redactions being made public, is far worse that I thought it would be. Trump is a criminal and now there are facts to prove he is the most corrupt president in American history.

Beyond the fact that the indictment of Trump and his campaign was so completely condemning in this testimony and in the report is the fact that the Russians were looking to hack into electronically kept voting data, including probing for ways to alter electronic vote totals in all 50 states. That is absolutely frightening and even more so is the fact that Mitch McConnell and his cronies in the Senate are blocking legislation that would put practices into place to stop this kind of electronic interference. The Republicans seem like they really want to see how big the blue wave that drowns them will get.
Sandy

Postby Haruo » Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:54 am

I hope you are right, Sandy, but you have a bit of a history of excessive electoral optimism. I'm an optimist, too, but I tend to focus mine on the hereafter.

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby David Flick » Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:25 am

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:33 pm

You may mark that quote as you did when I said the Democrats were were going to win big in the mid terms. It doesn't take rocket science to see what's coming. You don't need a crystal ball. Just step away from the propagandist and liars in conservative media.

I will have to give you credit for one thing. You are an expert at recognizing blowing a ton of baloney cheese. As much of it as you blow, you certainly know what that looks like.
Sandy

Postby David Flick » Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:13 pm

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:35 pm

Used to be, we could trash talk up to Election Day. Now, even elections don't settle stuff. We oughta go back to when it was like a football game. You have a winner. You have a loser.

What a great country!
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:45 pm

Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:12 pm

Well David, as I recall, you're the one full of baloney cheese. Heard the same thing from you prior to the mid terms when I said the election was pretty much a done deal for the Dems several months before their landslide. You can see this one coming too and it's not baloney cheese.

But Trump's dishonesty, adultery, mysogyny, and his racist bigotry and criminal behavior was known long before he was elected with Russian help. I wouldn't support someone like that even if I agreed with them 100 percent politically. So keep blowing your baloney cheese because that's what it is.
Sandy

Postby David Flick » Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:17 am

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:15 pm

Beats me what David meant by that. Maybe just saying he agrees with Timothy? Or are the crickets loudest coming from Oklahoma?

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby David Flick » Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:55 pm

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:10 pm

Here's what I said recently about Bill Clinton:

"But Clinton was two presidencies ago. Congress did, in fact impeach him for much less than what is known about Trump now. And regardless of what information the conservative press convinces its duped listeners and followers it has on Clinton, it doesn't justify Trump's past or current behavior. His predecessor (Obama) in the White House stands out in absolute stark contrast to the dishonesty, lying, philandering, genital-grabbing Trump. The continuous "nah nah boo boo Clinton did it too" nonsense is not going to benefit the orange headed buffoon in his re-election bid. It just means that Trump's supporters are, by their support, endorsing all of his bad behavior and what underlines that more than anything is their comparison of him to Clinton, which makes it clear that they know how bad this stuff is and how wrong it is."

You're assuming something that isn't as obvious as you think it is.

Fair to point out--your moderate Baptist buddies embraced Bill when he and Jimmie Carter were using the weight of their former president status to cobble together the New Baptist Convenant. I don't recall whether you signed up and endorsed or cheerleaded for that failed effort, but I didn't. My support for Clinton ended around the time he was impeached, though I don't think the Repugnants had a legitimate constitutional reason to take that action, as the Congress has tons of proven evidence to do so now.
Sandy

Postby Tim Bonney » Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:23 pm

Friend Flick, your interpretation of what Mueller said is bizarre. Did you actually hear what he said, or only Fox News interpretations of what he said? He was asked point blank if he had cleared the President of all wrong doing and Mueller flatly said no.

He cannot have cleared Trump of collusion because he never was investing Trump for collusion. Collusion is a word Trump chose because it isn't a legal term. He found plenty of evidence of Trump attempting to obstruct the investigation and plenty of evidence of Russian interference and, by his own words, DID NOT clear the President.

By the way, I'm really disappointed to see you use the term "Fake News." The devaluing of the news media is exactly what dictators and despots do so that they alone can control the news that people get. By branding all sources of news other than Fox (what Trump would like to be the next state TV) Fake News Trump and his followers are taking us down a danger dangerous path.
Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby David Flick » Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:44 pm

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:31 am

David, none of those quotes involves support for Bill Clinton, except if asking for holding Trump and other GOP sinners to the same standard that was applied to Clinton constitutes support, which I don't think it does except for your polemical purposes..

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:12 pm

Sandy

Postby Joseph Patrick » Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:46 pm

Joseph Patrick

Postby Joseph Patrick » Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:53 pm

Joseph Patrick

Postby Sandy » Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:55 pm

Sandy

Postby David Flick » Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:13 am

. . . .
David Flick
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:49 am

Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Next

Return to Politics and Public Policy Issues