[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Pennsylvania State House Invocation

Pennsylvania State House Invocation

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: Jon Estes

Re: Pennsylvania State House Invocation

Postby Rvaughn » Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:16 pm

The point is not that a prayer at the beginning of a legislative session has to be an empty formality or a sham. The point is that once authorities determine what can be prayed then it has become at worst a sham and at best a formality. If I were to pray before legislative session (which I would chose not to do) my prayer would look much much more like the one Sandy's suggest above than Ms. Borowisc's prayer. But her prayer is her prayer, and doesn't have to sound like mine.

When we set ourselves up as the arbiters of what can and cannot be prayed we begin to insert our own beliefs, ideas, and inhibitions into the beliefs of others. Where is the stand for freedom of speech and religion that we don't like? Should not it be respected too? Should the new Muslim member and others also be allowed to pray according to their beliefs (yes) or should theirs be stifled as well? If so, then make it a clear and obvious formality. Let the legislature write up several innocuous blessings that won't offend a flea or a fly and let volunteers choose and read them. If they have prayer, let it be prayer.

Let not our stance on free exercise and speech be limited to what agrees with our own opinions.
Rvaughn

Postby Rvaughn » Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:34 pm

Rvaughn

Postby Rvaughn » Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:49 pm

I and others have used "the first Muslim member" of the Pennsylvania House in our writing to describe Representative Movita Johnson-Harrell. The more accurate statement is that she is "the first female Muslim member" of the Pennsylvania House. There is at least one other Muslim member, Jason Dawkins, Democrat of Philadelphia. Tuesday and was met with applause afterward.
Rvaughn

Postby Sandy » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:18 pm

Sandy

Postby William Thornton » Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:06 am

"asked" not, as you said, "told."

May be the worst prayer in history but if the solons begin with prayer, they get what they get.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Rvaughn » Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:45 am

Right, William, asked, not told. But Sandy's theory seems to be that the since the Bible teaches the Christian should practice self-control then the legislature should therefore control the prayers of those who pray on its dais.
Rvaughn

Postby Haruo » Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:52 pm

Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:58 pm

I recall that in the aftermath of the WTC collapse the LCMS fired one of their top dogs for participating in an interfaith prayer event. I wonder if they feel the same way about legislative prayers. Are the Show-Me Lutherans in the PA House supposed to plug their ears during the prayer, and to recuse themselves if asked to lead it? How about the Pledge of Allegiance?

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:18 pm

Sandy

Postby Rvaughn » Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:59 pm

Rvaughn

Postby Haruo » Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:39 pm

Sorry, Sandy, I see now that you didn't say there were no Muslim members, just that you weren't aware of any. Obviously there was at least one other besides the new girl. I think that under the circumstances his prayer was very appropriate.

I notice that today Texas has decided to ban all clergy from the death chambers.

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:51 pm

Amash is intriguing. I can imagine a situation where I might vote for him. But so far, I'm still a Buttigieg loyalist. ;-)

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:00 pm

Sandy

Postby Haruo » Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:25 pm

From his diction I would have guessed probably COGIC, failing that, Baptist.

Haruo
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Politics and Public Policy Issues