[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - A Surprise in the United Methodist Church?

A Surprise in the United Methodist Church?

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: Jon Estes

Re: A Surprise in the United Methodist Church?

Postby KeithE » Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:44 pm

Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:22 pm

I haven't heard much about "jettisoning," I've heard a lot of "let's wait to see what happens."

It is interesting that in spite of the fact that the UMC is an American-based church, it accords equality in the decision making processes to all of its parts. There's no patronizing of the non-Americans, no hoops to jump through or prominence which must be earned before being considered legitimate and apparently no attempts to manipulate votes or perspectives. It is what it is and there's a genuine recognition of it. If there is political maneuvering and attempts to wield influence and power, and no doubt there is in any religious organization, it's not having much of an effect on the way the UMC makes decisions, at least, not on the way most of the American leadership wanted things to go.
Sandy

Postby William Thornton » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:32 am

https://www.getreligion.org/getreligion ... ated-equal

This was the GetReligion story that I thought interesting. It's a delicate moment for the UMC seems to me, with the danger of rich, white, liberal Americans lecturing their poorer, nonwhite, African colleagues on morality.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:58 am

Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:17 am

Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:25 am

There certainly are parallels between the UMC situation over the last couple decades and the status quo obtaining in ABCNW prior to the creation of the Evergreen Region.

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:18 pm

Sandy

Postby Tim Bonney » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:02 pm

Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:57 am

Like I wrote, I don't have a dog I this fight. The getreligion reporter looks to me to be providing a bit more infor than the usual non-religion us reporters.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:09 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:56 am

The UMC isn't the only denomination having issues with polity built as structures were created and evolved.
https://baptist-blogger.com/2019/03/02/ ... e-part-ii/
Sandy

Postby Tim Bonney » Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:58 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:28 pm

Maybe the NT doesn't prescribe a particular model of church polity and governance. But I think it's a good principle that Jesus is not in favor or a system that hurt the children.

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:28 am

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:40 am

To paraphrase the gun rights bumper sticker writers, church polity models don't molest children. Child molesters molest children. If congregationalism is outlawed, only outlaws will be congregationalists.

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:11 am

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:21 pm

Sandy

Postby Tim Bonney » Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:11 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Rvaughn » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:22 pm

Rvaughn

Postby Haruo » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:30 pm

Free Methodists vary a lot on this sort of thing, too. My guess is the ones in Kentucky may be quite a bit more conservative/traditional in their views on gender and the Bible than those here in Seattle.

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:28 am

Last edited by KeithE on Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
Informed by Data.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:09 am

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:18 am

That's quite different from the Free Methodists one encounters here in Seattle. Seattle Pacific University is quite diverse, as is First Free Methodist Church across the street from the campus. And Rainier Avenue Church (the only other FMC I've been to) is about as diverse as they come. Now I am not sure how they treat LGBTQ type issues, but they certainly don't seem obsessed by the anti.

If you only have three bishoprics, three white males is not great, but also not diagnostic. The sample size is too small. They have female clergy.

And it's worth noting that the split from the main MC body/bodies in 1860 was not over abolitionism (as the "Free" makes a lot of people assume, given the date) but over the fact that the big-time Methodists sold (or rented) pews. The Free Methodists took sitting where you wanted to be biblical, and I agree. Pew space should be free, not up for bid.

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:21 am

Nazarenes hereabouts are a whole lot more liberal than in a lot of parts of the country, too. Something about the water or something out here seems to do that to people's brains.

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:44 am

My stepmother is a member of a Free Methodist church in Buffalo, NY. We've worshipped there several times. I would not call them "radically conservative," though compared to the UMC, they might be. Their statement of faith does not include inerrancy, but it does state belief that the whole Bible is spirit-inspired and that Christian interpretation must be spirit-illumined, as opposed to both tradition and experience which they believe can be affected by human error. There is a definite emphasis on holiness, and the whole atmosphere in that particular church reminds me a lot of the Church of the Nazarene. They dropped the use of the name "Methodist" out of their identification and signage under their former pastor who flat out said the terms "Methodist" and "growing church" are an oxymoron. My Dad, a Baptist deacon for over 40 years, did not convince my stepmom during the 5 years they were married that she could not lose her salvation.

The pastor of the CMA congregation which operated the school I served in Pennsylvania for eight years was an Asbury graduate, college and seminary, He was originally ordained in the Anderson Church of God and switched over to CMA about 20 years ago. He was also pretty heavy on holiness, and I would say that he was "radically conservative," uncomfortably so.

I wonder what kind of grasp Methodist leadership in the US has on how their parishioners in the pews feel about the issue. Timothy pointed out that 67% of the American clergy were in favor of the plan which would have allowed LGBTQ ordination and sanctioning of same-gender marriages, but the bottom line for the church's future rests with what will happen among the membership if the clergy takes steps to separate from the denomination and affirm the pro-LGBTQ position. Denominations I would consider more "liberal" on just about everything have fractured and experienced significant losses of membership. A friend of mine from Pennsylvania who was an Episcopalian priest and is now Anglican at a church in Washington, DC said the Episcopal church's statistics on the exodus of members is misleading in terms of its actual impact on the church. Their statistics show a decline of 40% in membership since they first ordained a gay clergyman, but he says that the 60% who have stayed includes over 800,000 "inactive" members. And they're still declining rapidly. Moving forward on something like this could have a huge cost.

There is a resolution and an answer for the church when it comes to how it should minister to people who are LGBTQ. It sounds cliche, but God has the answer and those who love and serve him need to get beyond their own reasoning power, intellect, prejudice and fear so they can be discerning about His will. Perhaps the Methodists, in working through this issue in their own church, will be the ones who come up with the answer.
Sandy

PreviousNext

Return to Politics and Public Policy Issues