[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Religious School---People Killed

Religious School---People Killed

The place to discuss politics and policy issues that are not directly related to matters of faith.

Moderator: Jon Estes

Re: Religious School---People Killed

Postby Ed Pettibone » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:07 am

Ed Pettibone

Postby Gene Scarborough » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:16 am

Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Ed Pettibone » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:19 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby Gene Scarborough » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:38 pm

I have already stated earlier that assault weapons are far different than hunting weapons.

All the right to bear arms are based on self protection and the right to riot with a weapon if push comes to shove. Since I am a marksman class user of a deer rifle, at shot to the head or heart is guaranteed to eliminate an assaulter. With a good .357 magnum loaded with a .38 slug, the intruder will be scared to death from the sound if I don't have to bust him between the eyes or center mass.

Either way, my rule is to never point any weapon at something or somone I do not intend to kill. They are deadly and do not need to be in the hands of criminals or immature kids.

Is that clear enough---and I knew you would be diagraming sentences rather than discussing issues, Ed :lol:
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby ET » Tue May 01, 2012 7:20 pm

Last edited by ET on Wed May 02, 2012 12:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I'm Ed Thompson, and I approve this message.
ET

Postby Gene Scarborough » Wed May 02, 2012 6:32 am

The core problem is anger and frustration with this economy.

Until we practice what we preach on freedom and equality, we will remain so.
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Hal Eaton » Thu May 03, 2012 3:38 pm

My boo-boo with regard to suggesting that the NRA was a Religious Righteous organization set off a string of retorts (some of them I earned). But . . .

In years past I rode a motorcycle over these sparsely-populated mountains, and usually was armed with a Ruger revolver in a plain-view holster. I never once thought that I would use it to shoot, or even threaten, a fellow human being; I used it only once, to dispatch a sick-looking ground hog.

However: The gun was ultimately stolen from my gun cabinet; the thief moved immedicatly to New York City where the gun was undoubtedly used for GKW (God Knows What).

The reference to army-type rifles in Swiss homes reminds me of the story of the German who visited in Switzerland, and was told by a Swiss citizen that 500,000 Swiss men had the rifles in their homes. He retorted, "What will you do if we attack you with 1,000,000 soldiers?" The terse reply was, "We will tell each man to shoot twice."

The nit-pickers, who love to quote the Constitution's permission (right) for citizens to bear arms, regularly ignore the requirement that they be part of a militia; they further miss the requirement that said militia be "well-regulated."

For those who deny the threat posed by un-regulated militant groups in our country, posing as inspired by patriotism or religion, or both, Google "Militia," and read on one website 90 newsworthy references to violations of the public order by such organizations and their members. Belligerence, bellicosity, pugnacity, paranoia, and militancy are common traits of the genre.
It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry. -- Thomas Paine
Hal Eaton

Postby Gene Scarborough » Thu May 03, 2012 5:03 pm

Scary news just backed up by the crazies inflitrated by the FBI who were going to damage to Cleveland and it's citizens.

I wish my guns had not been stolen. I am a crack shot and would fit in well with the Swiss melitia! It is scary when you think masses could be anihilated as were the Jews in Germany when leaders go wild with hate---as it is starting to happen today.

My concern is when people start saying, "God is directing me to kill." That is attibuting our hostilities to God who clearly gave us "Thou shalt not kill."
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby ET » Sat May 05, 2012 12:18 pm

ET

Postby ET » Sat May 05, 2012 12:28 pm

ET

Postby Gene Scarborough » Sat May 05, 2012 12:39 pm

Good evidence that the right to bear arms is important. Just not good enough to promote military-style weapons for any fool who wants to hurt and kill. :)
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Hal Eaton » Sat May 05, 2012 7:51 pm

Sez ET: Two burglars dead after breaking into the home of two Marines.

Check ET's post which gives the source of this event. Google his "blue clickie" of the event, then read the first page of comments following the news article. I did not take time to read the next 4 or 5 pages of comments . . . so I don't know if ET commented . . .

When the aforementioned modern-day militias are researched, they often claim that they are genuine patriots who will join in a revolution against the government when it gets out of control.

To respond to this attitude, first google Lidice. History provides a modern-day lesson for Jesus's admonishment, "They that take the sword will perish with the sword . . ."

OOOPS!! Having quoted the Good Book, I'm sure that more quotes will come my way . . .

Another quote from ET: It's not a "gun problem"...it's a "people problem".

No, it's a "people with guns problem."

A reading of the Constitution's take on the issue, as if the document is on the level of inerrancy, word-for-word Truth, and infallibility of the Bible, is an abuse of the framers' attitudes, motivations, and ethics.

IMO
Hal Eaton

Postby KeithE » Sat May 05, 2012 8:14 pm

Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby ET » Sun May 06, 2012 10:40 pm

ET

Postby ET » Sun May 06, 2012 10:43 pm

ET

Postby Hal Eaton » Tue May 08, 2012 9:11 pm

Copied from one of my earlier posts:

"Sez ET: Two burglars dead after breaking into the home of two Marines.

"Check ET's post which gives the source of this event. Google his "blue clickie" of the event, then read the first page of comments following the news article. I did not take time to read the next 4 or 5 pages of comments . . . so I don't know if ET commented . . ."

I don't know if any of you followed my suggestion. DO IT! The comments are proof of several kinds of pudding, notably the attitude of of those who rejoiced at the death of the two burglars. I have not found a follow-up of the details of the shoot-out.

And one more plea: With regard to an armed citizenry (the "militians" of which we spoke) making the government toe the line, Google "Lidice." One fellow, with a deer rifle, cancelled the officer-in-charge of those who threatened his village.
Last edited by Hal Eaton on Thu May 10, 2012 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hal Eaton

Postby ET » Wed May 09, 2012 10:17 pm

ET

Postby Gene Scarborough » Thu May 10, 2012 7:13 am

This is a complex issue boiling down to the ability of people to get along and respect the goods of others.

I think the reason behind the crime is bad examples from society's leaders with their ethics (or lack of). Government / banks / fuel companies / etc. steal with the stroke of a pen so what is the problem with breaking into a house?

Are we seeing the grounds forming for a renewal of the Wild West and everyone "toting iron?"
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Hal Eaton » Thu May 10, 2012 2:55 pm

In reply to ET's post ("What does a comments section have to do with the issues at hand, Hal?").

The comments section on the news article reveals the warped attitudes of most of those who responded.

Instead of denying their relation or importance to the incident, why don't you read them? Most of them reveal just what I listed* as the rather common attitude of those who endlessly argue for gun possession as a cure-all for evil.

*Remember? "Belligerence, bellicosity, pugnacity, militancy?"

Also, incessant statistics on isolated news stories regarding rather rare incidents (for a nation of over 300,000,000 people!!!) do not offer validation for arming everybody. Universal gun-bearing rights would, obviously, arm an amazing number of those evil fellows (and girls) about whom some rejoice when they get wounded (or killed).

By the way, I've got 6 or 8 guns in my cabinet (I don't even know how many without a current count). Almost all my neighbors have a similar number. (All are for hunting.) If my county, or state, or federal govt. ever sees fit to make our neighborhood safer by asking us to give up the guns, I don't know of any hereabouts who would claim that they must be "taken from our cold, dead, hands."

One request repeated (again): Google "Lidice." Those who don't know history are doomed (or deemed, or damned) to repeat it.
Hal Eaton

Postby Neil Heath » Thu May 10, 2012 8:42 pm

I'm with you, Hal. One recent positive story in Macon and a few others around the country doesn't offset the number of killings that happen in this city every month--very few of which, if any, would have been prevented by gun ownership.
Neil Heath
Neil Heath
Site Admin

Postby ET » Thu May 10, 2012 9:22 pm

Last edited by ET on Thu May 10, 2012 9:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ET

Postby ET » Thu May 10, 2012 9:25 pm

ET

Postby ET » Thu May 10, 2012 9:31 pm

ET

Postby Gene Scarborough » Thu May 10, 2012 10:14 pm

ET---

You are dealing with a "chicken / egg" non-answerable question on ethics.

The President has just made a compassionate decision that gay marriage should be honored in the US. I am sure he will draw fire and lightening from many religionists and conservatives, but he is reflecting the "best dream" of the Founding Fathers with respect to people being allowed to live in freedom.

In these troubled times is would be easier---and possibly politically wiser---to keep his mouth shut, but he didn't.

One of John Kennedy's favorite quotes was "When the going gets tough, the tough get going."

Right now times are tough thanks to the collusion and theft by leaders in banking and industry who have bought our Congress to do their bidding and turn their heads with regulation and violators of SEC and Banking law. Most of the major players in paper theft are not yet indited. Only an "example few" are convicted and in prison for their deeds.

And you think the major players are influenced more by society than society is by them???? Tell that to Jesus as he stood and died for being God in flesh among us----and it was religion and government that drove those nails. :(
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby ET » Fri May 11, 2012 9:44 am

You're way off topic, Gene.
ET

PreviousNext

Return to Politics and Public Policy Issues