FBC Spartanburg celebrates 3 pastors in 67 years

The place to discuss four centuries of Baptist history and heritage, from Thomas Helwys and Roger Williams to the present.

Moderator: Bruce Gourley

FBC Spartanburg celebrates 3 pastors in 67 years

Postby Stephen Fox » Sun May 27, 2018 11:55 am

Actually the 25th anniversary of Trey Gowdy and Billy Graham's pastor Don Wilton. According to his son Greg who spoke along with his brother and sister, she the only one not a Doctor by now--I take it in homiletics from Liberty if that is not too snarky--says in the last 67 years only three pastors. Don with 25, Allistair Walker for 17 and the previous pastor Im sure is on their website.

No mention of Gowdy in this morning's service, but lot of talk about the connection to Billy Graham including a message from Will Graham at the Cove.

Theme was Just give me Jesus.

Take the politics out of the congregation and Billy Graham working with al Mohler for the fundamentalist takeoover and these are fairly harmless people I guess. They boast of at least one salvation a day in Wilton's25 years including radio and TV professions and their annual outdoor revival initiatives. I guess thats an average.

Its just hard to figure how the Upstate politics suck so with a church this influential and strong. Not many of these people are asking What would Willimon do when they close the curtain to vote, and Wilimon central just three miles or less away at Wofford College. A Great Riddle.
Stephen Fox

Todd Starnes in 2015; Metaxas and Carson 14

Postby Stephen Fox » Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:06 pm

"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

FBC Sburg on fire in Herald Journal facebook over Metaxas

Postby Stephen Fox » Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:03 am

Will have the chat stream soon. Steve Harmon, a Metaxas detractor is nearby at Gardner Webb Div school. Joins Duke's Curtis Freeman and Gaffney's Stephen Fox in the resistance to the Truth for a New Generation Conferences. Duke's Willimon a 68 grad of Wofford should bring Wofford community into the conversation soon.

Stephen Fox

Freeman and Fox on FBC Spartanburg and Metaxas

Postby Stephen Fox » Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:23 am

First Baptist has been a force in Spartanburg for many decades as the Church on Sunday Morning WSPA Channel 7. On Several occasions in the 70s I heard Alistair Walker in Gaffney. But their witness is tarnished with their cloudy relationship with Eric Metaxas and David Barton in the recent Truth for a New Generation series. Follow the links on this exhaustive report at Baptist Global News on just how Bizarre a super Trumper Metaxas has become. At one point Duke Div's Curtis Freeman is mentioned. As such brings Wofford into the conversation give the professional and Christian links of Freeman to Wofford's emeritus trustee and 68 grad, longtime Duke Chaplain Will Willimon. Way past time for the SHJ to explore this for a Sunday front page feature!!!!!
· Reply · 1d

Top Fan
Stephen M. Fox
https://baptistnews.com/.../meet-the-evangelical.../...
Meet the evangelical Trump Truthers: Jenna Ellis and Eric Metaxas
BAPTISTNEWS.COM
· Reply · Remove Preview · 1d
Curtis Freeman
One of the most scathing critiquces of Metaxas is coming from other evangelicals/conservatives, and the most vocal and vociferous is Rod Dreher. You can read his opinions in The American Conservative. https://www.theamericanconservative.com ... -i-saw.../
What I Saw At The Jericho March | The American Conservative
THEAMERICANCONSERVATIVE.COM
· Reply · 23h
Curtis Freeman
And also Dreher here: https://www.theamericanconservative.com ... nse-of.../
A Defense Of Jericho March Criticism | The American Conservative
THEAMERICANCONSERVATIVE.COM
· Reply · 23h

Top Fan
Stephen M. Fox
Curtis Freeman Please get Willimon in this loop as he has tremendous influence at Wofford. Worthy of leverage on the SHJ to do a worthy job on FBC Sburg and its tremendous influence in the region not to mention helping Trey Gowdy and his national audience define themselves re Metaxas and his band of miscreants.
· Reply · 23h

Top Fan
Stephen M. Fox
Steve Harmon Randall Balmer Mitch Randall Tommy E. Martin
· Reply · 23h
Curtis Freeman
He is charging Metaxas, Flynn, and the My Pillow Dude with seditious rhetoric in calling for the violent overturning of a legitimate--fair and free election. Of course this has been the direction of Metaxas since his Bonhoeffer book--stand up for conservative values in the culture war, but if that fails, join the Evangelical Abwehr. And to quote a pop-culture image, "There will be blood." This is the wild seed of Fundamentalism, mistakenly called Evangelicalism. There will be blood. René Girard was right--society is based on violence, and cannot be appeased until there is bloody sacrifice. Metaxas and Flynn are calling for violent overthrow of the next administration. The Proud Boyz are only the tip of the iceberg.
· Reply · 23h

Top Fan
Stephen M. Fox
Curtis Freeman God Bless you. The witness of Stewart A Newman against Criswell and Strom Thurmond's SC legislature of 56 lives on. I don't know if you are aware of the recent book Newspaper Wars about the SC Press during the Civil Rights era. Now this generation has its moment at the Herald Journal. I hope Willimon is watching with us. Great Movie, Give me the Blood, Give me the Pipeline. New Yorker says it is number one of the top 25 of the 21st century.
· Reply · 23h

Top Fan
Stephen M. Fox
PS, Lets get Bill Moyers and Bill Leonard to Duke this spring to unpack the legacy of Sidney Blumenthal's easily googled rejoinder to Robert Caro in the 90s on the significance of Ballot Box 13 in Duval County in 48. LBJ against Coke Stevenson and the Texas Regulars has legs. Its all there, elections, Big Oil, Birch Society to so called Truth for the next generations, leaning forward against the stalwarts of fundamentalism. Marney said we wrestle not against flesh and blood but against powers and principalities and rulers of darkness in this world. But you already knew that. I'm just hoping Dent's daughter is reading along with Trey Gowdy.
· Reply · 23h

Top Fan
Stephen M. Fox
I just called Congressman Timmons office. I think their eyes are on this and great fodder for a piece in the HJ.
· Reply · 23h
Write a reply…

Stephen Fox

Return to Baptist History and Heritage