Furman 20 years after Break with SC SBC

The place to discuss four centuries of Baptist history and heritage, from Thomas Helwys and Roger Williams to the present.

Moderator: Bruce Gourley

Football team graduation 21

Postby Stephen Fox » Fri May 07, 2021 10:19 am

I posted this on Paladins wall salute to the Football team but decided to delete it and post here.

How many of these fellows come from families who voted for Donald Trump. Serious question. There should never be a political litmus test for any sport, but athletes do tend to bend toward the right. I'm all for most of their love for huntin and shootin but if they don't have views on the dark money politics of the NRA and gun lobby challenged while at Furman, then Furman has failed them. Many of them, a lot of them as has been true historically will go back, many to small towns from where they came to coach and teach and be leaders in their communities. If they go back as witless about the venality of Trump as they were when they came to school something is missing. Furman athletics may have to pursue a conversation to remove Timmons family name from the Basketball arena if William as expected today sides with Trump over Liz Cheney. Hope the football team and their families back home are paying attention.

Stephen M. Fox
Lot of great folks over the years from the football program, not trying to cast a pall on a great program at all, just could be making more of a difference in small towns across the SE where folks return and don't challenge the status quo, though a lot has been written and movies made about sports, football in particular by its very communal nature healing tensions. Still too many white folks voted for Trump and too much of the GOP now complicitous. I have to believe Charles Daniel and the Mickels would be speaking out as Republicans in the best of the Furman tradition. Trump is no James Baker or Frank Johnson, and Furman athletics should make that clear to William Timmons.
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Dr Courtney Tollison featured in current Furman magazineC

Postby Stephen Fox » Tue May 11, 2021 9:25 am

Her PHD at U South Carolina was on the history of Furman's relationship with the SC SBC focusing on the early 1990s break with the convention. What follows is a post I just made on Furman's main facebook wall

Will be looking for it. Courtney is a graduate of Christ Church Episcopal same as William Timmons. Courtney's Test with everything she knows about SC Baptists break with Furman, her role with the Upcountry History Museum, the Seeking Abraham initiative, Danforth Scholar not to mention marrying into one of the Upstate's most influential families, the Hartness, will be if she can be as outspoken publicly about Timmons support of Donald Trump on the eve of the Liz Cheney affair in the US House. Also it seems clear to me the legacy of Seeking Abraham and every noble thing Courtney has been about as a student and now a face of Furman, it is not unreasonable to expect her to be explicit, differ with Nikki Haley, Lindsey Graham and others on the matter of critical race theory in the Public schools and Haley belittling the 1619 initiative. That will be Dr. Tollison's legacy and the moment is now.
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Previous

Return to Baptist History and Heritage