[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - CBF leader says it's time to revisit ban on hiring gays

CBF leader says it's time to revisit ban on hiring gays

A forum for Cooperative Baptist Fellowship-related discussions.

Moderator: Neil Heath

Re: CBF leader says it's time to revisit ban on hiring gays

Postby Tim Bonney » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:54 pm

Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Gene Scarborough » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:58 pm

You have touched my heart, Tim---------------THANKS!!!!
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Tim Bonney » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:48 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:56 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby Tim Bonney » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:47 pm

Yes Ed that sounds like a quote from Mr. Wesley. But that doesn't answer the underlying issue. All of us are sinners and all of us need to repent of our sins.
The underlying issue is that not everyone believes that homosexual behavior is sinful. And I'd guess that even fewer believe that just being gay, having a homosexual orientation is sinful.

So you know as well as I do that those who don't believe homosexuality is sinful are going to feel the need to repent of something you think is a sin and that they don't.
Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:30 pm

When one is convicted of a sin, by all means repent of it. But the best thing, I think, is to have the contrition and the humility to know that we each of us are if not sinning this second at least prone to, and to do the best we can to repent of all our sin, especially the part we're not (yet) convicted of.

I can't for the life of me fathom how that quotation from Wesley can be applied to justify sending certain sinners down the street because their sin profile doesn't match our denomination as well as another one.
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:40 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Jerry_B » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:42 am

Ed - I have read both articles. I have to believe more was said then was reported. I would like to know the full context of the comments, I'm sure there was more to the comments that I feel confident would provide some clarity on this issue.

All sinners are welcome at church. If not we would have to close up shop, you know being sinners and all. In welcoming sinners however our church does not believe it is right to affirm what the Bible calls immoral, be it homosexuality, adultery or any of the other sins spoken of in the Bible.
Jerry_B

Postby Gene Scarborough » Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:29 am

The basis of morality has always been the 10 Commandments plus Jesus' "Love the Lord your God and your neighbor as yourself."

I can't see homosexuality in any of this.

It is equally clear that the Jewish outlook was to stone homosexuals as well as those who violated the multitude of eating and cleanliness laws. The Pharisees and Saducees build a "fence around the law" with multiple things like those which had them accusing Jesus and his disciples of harvesting on the Sabbath when the plucked grain walking through a field.

We don't follow kosher rules normally in our religious walk.

What makes us pick out the homosexual stuff as such a focus?

We now deplore Paul's stuff on slaves because that is not compatable with the Constitution of the US. In the past, however, Southern Baptists formed over slavery. Even Thomas Jefferson owned and sired children by his slaves!

I think this pretty much proves we are "selective sinners and judgers of such." The basic translation of harmartia is "separation." If we seperate our society between races / social classes / sex / sexual orientation, I think we qualify as being in a state of separation from God (who created them) and our fellow humans on this planet.
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby KeithE » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:30 am

Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Postby Matt Richard » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:02 am

I've heard a lot of people (both on and off of this board) applaud and defend this announcement because this issue is "not going away" and it "needs to be dealt with." Since when is "dealing" with something synonymous with questioning or affirming it? Since a policy already exists on the subject, has it not been dealt with?

As a Texas Baptist, I'm thankful for our new ED's statement concerning this announcement: http://www.baptiststandard.com/index.ph ... &Itemid=53

This is something Texas Baptists have "dealt with" already, and I think it demonstrates the difference between the CBF and BGCT, in spite of some that would desire to equate the two groups.
Matt Richard

Postby Dave Roberts » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:07 am

CBF's adopted statement was a response to accusations that CBF was pro-gay which it never was. The reports I have seen do not explain what Colleen meant. I hate to either attack or defend when there is little or no information beyond a statement of a need to revisit the statement, whatever that may mean.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:20 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby Gene Scarborough » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:00 pm

Good Lord, Ed----your above is about as understandable as a termite in a yo-yo!!!! :)
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Ed Pettibone » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:25 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby Dave Roberts » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:05 am

I understood Colleen had been busy, but I simply want more information.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:15 am

Ed Pettibone

Postby Gene Scarborough » Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:54 am

As I read her, it should make you happy, Ed.

I think she is referring to the normal staff employee doing low level work---NOT to any leadership staff or the CEO.
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Gene Scarborough » Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:50 am

Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Ed Pettibone » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:42 pm

Ed: So my first question Gene , is do you love Al Mohler. Secondly would you give us a source for the quotes attributed to Al.? Now in fairness let me say I love AL as a human being and wish him no harm but when I look at him as a professed christian and prominent leader if my former denomination as well as being President of the the Seminary of which he and I are both Alum, I can not truthfully say that I like him.
Ed Pettibone

Postby Gene Scarborough » Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:17 am

We are TOTALLY AGREED, Ed!!! :wink:
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Jerry_B » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:50 am

Jerry_B

Postby Gene Scarborough » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:04 am

Jerry---

If Jesus didn't like the Pharisees and said harsh things of them in Matthew 23---would you approve of them pastoring mega churches in 2012?

I think that is more worthy than listening to Al Mohler et al be so "righteous" over gays today. :wink:
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Jerry_B » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:26 pm

Gene,

Not sure what you mean
Jerry_B

Postby Gene Scarborough » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:31 pm

Just thinkaboudit!!!

No specific words about gays from Jesus / very specific things in Matthew 23 over super rightous religiosity.

Which one does the religious right wish he said / which one do they pretend he didn't say?
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

PreviousNext

Return to CBF Missions and Ministry Forum