[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - CBF leader says it's time to revisit ban on hiring gays

CBF leader says it's time to revisit ban on hiring gays

A forum for Cooperative Baptist Fellowship-related discussions.

Moderator: Neil Heath

CBF leader says it's time to revisit ban on hiring gays

Postby William Thornton » Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:33 pm

My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Re: CBF leader says it's time to revisit ban on hiring gays

Postby Haruo » Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:45 am

Good for her. ;-)
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:19 am

It says that ABP is actually a news service, not a propganda arm where stories have to be approved. Don't know exactly what Colleen is advocating, and the story is a bit vague. Basically, the ban has proven unenforceable beyond the home office staff. Guess that is true of all churches as well. Only local associations can discipline churches. State conventions can refuse their money, but that is all.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Gene Scarborough » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:32 am

This is simply one of the issues of the day in America.

You can either ignore it or deal with it. This lady of integrity is expressing her desire to deal with it. I agree that we should come to some kind of understanding over it.

If Jesus said nothing explicit about it / commanded us to love and forgive one another / ministered to the outcast Samaratans / was unashamed to visit with the woman at the well in broad daylight and offered forgiveness to her---I have my answer as to how I---as his follower---should deal with the issue!!!

If I were a Jew or Pharisee, I would stone them with relish----BUT, I follow Jesus! :)
Gene Scarborough
Gene Scarborough

Postby Haruo » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:08 am

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:13 am

So by the current policy does the CBF ask everyone who interviews with them if they are gay?
Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:28 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby Haruo » Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:50 pm

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:47 pm

Last edited by Ed Pettibone on Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ed Pettibone

Postby Haruo » Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:52 pm

But if they ask only about applicants' positions on the practice of homosexuality, and not about their sexual orientation, then how do they expect to know? It sounds a lot like "CBF does not knowingly employ embezzlers, PERIOD"; as long as they don't ask whether a person is an embezzler, ... umm ...

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:10 pm

Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:34 pm

William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:45 pm

Condone, advocate and affirm are very fluid terms. But Ed, the wording is clear about not knowingly hiring practicing homosexuals, but your own words, "CBF does not knowingly employee homosexuals Period", do not mention "practicing". "I'd really like to date you, but we'll have to wait a bit until my job application goes through..." ?

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:25 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby Haruo » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:00 pm

I admit that the "embezzler" bit was a little off the wall, but still I don't think you (Ed) have adequately addressed the difference between CBF's wording "practicing homosexuals" and your own "homosexuals"; they're (at least for many people, gay and straight alike) quite distinct categories. One is a subset, not a synonym, of the other.

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:01 pm

I'll leave the CBF policy to the CBF, whose moderator says that the "first" order of business after the revisioning is to revisit this. But perhaps I will make some unofficial, outsider observations.

Burrough's view is that it should not be revisited just to say 'howdy' but to find a way to eliminate or amend it. She even states that it should be the very first order of business after this revisioning process is over. Either the CBF has a Moderator who is out of step with the membership or one who represents the organization's movement in the last two decades towards a more liberal policy.

Need any be reminded that the slam of the CBF from the SBC for many years includes this issue? The CBF fended that off decisively years ago with their clear statement of policy, the one Burroughs seeks to put at the very top of their agenda.

I give credit to Ed who has been the only CBFer here who has repeatedly and plainly represented the longstanding policy.

I don't see this as a surprising development but certainly a curious one. It is unlikely that she fails to understand the sensitivity of the matter yet raised it in an official forum and out of her top position.

Guess we will see where this goes and who with the CBF will be the first respond to her.
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:02 pm

Last edited by Ed Pettibone on Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ed Pettibone

Postby William Thornton » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:08 pm

William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:53 pm

Ed I'd like to ask a polity question because I just don't know. How do people get to sit on the coordinating council to have a vote on CBF policies? Is it a delegate/messenger system? If so how is it representative? I think that makes some difference to how the organization makes policy and theological decisions.
Tim Bonney

Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:58 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby William Thornton » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:26 pm

William: "Say, Ed, who is the elected head of the CBF these days?"

Ed: "Colleen Burroughs."

William: "Thanks, Ed."
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Neil Heath » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:29 pm

Neil Heath
Neil Heath
Site Admin

Postby Neil Heath » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:42 pm

One correction, Ed. I think the chair of the search committee for Vestal's successor is George Mason, not Colleen.
Neil Heath
Neil Heath
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:54 pm

Ed Pettibone

Postby Ed Pettibone » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:03 pm

Ed Pettibone

Next

Return to CBF Missions and Ministry Forum