[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Growing older and wiser, I hope...

Growing older and wiser, I hope...

A forum for Cooperative Baptist Fellowship-related discussions.

Moderator: Neil Heath

Growing older and wiser, I hope...

Postby Neil Heath » Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:30 am

Since this is the forum I moderate, I decided to post a quote I found on Facebook because I agree with the author on how little I know now: :)

"40 years ago in 1971 I Began my JOURNEY with CHRIST. I once had all the answers, I could respond to any question. I now have many more questions than answers. The ONE CONSTANT has been that JESUS Loved me then and HE still Loves me now. Almost everything else is vague and fluff. JESUS the Anchor has held."
Neil Heath
Neil Heath
Site Admin

Re: Growing older and wiser, I hope...

Postby Haruo » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:16 am

Yep.
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Re: Growing older and wiser, I hope...

Postby KeithE » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:40 am

Interesting perspective.

Reflecting on my life, I had many questions from late HS days (late 60's). I saw that most of my cohorts at church expoused the officially endorsed answers and I wonder how many these days have come to question many aspects of theology like the quotee above.

Through study, observation and meditation, I have found what I'll call pragmatic answers to stand on. Not that I can prove them as absolute truth but that I feel comfortable with in terms of a framework for living/decisions/understanding. Chief among these pragmatic answers are
1) Situational Ethics
2) Open View of God
3) Corporate and Individual accountability to God; by "corporate' I do not mean just companies/businesses but any group of people large or small.
4) creationism (with a small c and old earth) - definitely through abiogenesis maybe biological development as well
5) a caring God who is constantly rooting for us individually (always redemptive through the Spirit) - the Individual Gospel / soul competency
6) a caring God who is constantly rooting for us corporately (small groups/families through churches and nations and the world) - the Social Gospel
7) the need to emulate Jesus

So my experience is quite different from the quotee above; but I can understand where he comes from if he was indoctrinated in early life. And I agree with his ONE CONSTANT that Jesus Loves Me and never gives up on any of us (basically point 5 above).

Ultimate truth about God is unobtainable, imo, but a theological framework for living that jives with the Spirit and learning is a necessity, imo.
Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Return to CBF Missions and Ministry Forum