[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Where are the Baptists on the border?

Where are the Baptists on the border?

A forum for Cooperative Baptist Fellowship-related discussions.

Moderator: Neil Heath

Where are the Baptists on the border?

Postby Sandy » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:18 pm

Sandy

Re: Where are the Baptists on the border?

Postby Haruo » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:49 pm

Particularly interesting to me that a lot of the refugees are from Congo. I have lots of friends in the eastern part of the DRC, and some of them definitely count as persecuted and in danger. One in particular, Dankon Kwibe, is especially eager to come to the US as a refugee. I keep trying to dissuade him, because of the Trump administration's attitudes on Africans, people of color, and refugees, and because the paperwork I've looked at looks like it's designed to result in failure of the application. But I wonder how so many Congolese refugees end up coming in from Mexico
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby JE Pettibone » Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:37 pm

JE Pettibone

Postby Haruo » Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:20 pm

I'm not allowed to go into detail on the administration's/president's attitudes because of the language involved. I have dissuaded him mainly because I can't figure how he could get here. We don't have the wherewithal to sponsor and support him in a meaningful way, because it would involve his either bringing his wife and baby daughter with him (much added expense) or leaving them there, probably more in harm's way than if he were there. Plus the paperwork I've seen is not comprehensible even for me. He knows little English (and no Spanish). Etc. And I'm not sure how much actual danger he's in. More than, say, in Chicago? I don't know. I haven't actually told him he shouldn't come, just that I'm not sure he should and I don't see how I can help him beyond moral support. And that I haven't been able to figure out the paperwork.

And my understanding is that the administration wants to make it impossible to come in as a refugee through an intervening country.

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby JE Pettibone » Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:28 pm

JE Pettibone

Postby Haruo » Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:46 pm

The President's words that would address the question the first sentence begged off addressing were phrased in language not permitted on this forum. The general sentiment was revisited a week or so ago in his opening diatribe against four members of Congress.

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Dave Roberts » Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:15 am

CBF has a strong resettlement work in the Raleigh-Durham area of NC with Marc and Kim Wyatt, Hispanic work in Fredericksburg, VA with Greg and Sue Smith, CBF Texas is very involved on both sides of the border in the Rio Grande Valley with Jorge Zapata, and the overall Hispanic coordinator is Reuben Ortiz. I don't know directly how that might help, but those are the resources I know. Also, Canadian Baptists have a strong refugee ministry that gets much quicker incorporation into their society than is allowed in the US>
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Tim Bonney » Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:46 am

Tim Bonney

First UMC of Indianola, Iowa - http://indfumc.org
Tim Bonney
Site Admin

Return to CBF Missions and Ministry Forum