[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Any one else going to Dallas

Any one else going to Dallas

A forum for Cooperative Baptist Fellowship-related discussions.

Moderator: Neil Heath

Any one else going to Dallas

Postby JE Pettibone » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:30 pm

We will again be traveling by RV. I would appreciate suggestions from folk familiar with the area as to RV Resorts/Parks within commuting distance to the Assembly venue.
JE Pettibone

Re: Any one else going to Dallas

Postby Dave Roberts » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:37 am

I plan to be there, but I am no help on RV info.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby JE Pettibone » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:12 pm

JE Pettibone

Postby Jim » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:44 am

I've been CBF since 1991 but I see it as having its foot on the first square inch of the slippery slope. It's all by way of going south now, along with the mainliners that have already forfeited any credibility as far as biblical Christianity is concerned. In my state, its major focus has been trying to convince churches to employ women pastors. There's nothing wrong with engaging women for pastorates, but the constant drumbeat is demeaning to them.
Jim

Postby Haruo » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:47 pm

Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby JE Pettibone » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:19 am

Ed: Jim and Hauro, would each of you explain that "drum beat"?
JE Pettibone

Postby Haruo » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:18 pm

I do think the notion that hiring female pastors is something that churches need to be pressured into doing is not a desirable notion for a church body of a voluntary associational sort like CBF to be focusing on to the exclusion of other goals. Jim apparently thinks CBF is doing little but. I have no opinion on that subject. And I am not saying it is as bad as the "special place in hell" remark but it did remind me of it when I read Jim's complaint.

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:20 pm

Sandy

Postby JE Pettibone » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:37 pm

JE Pettibone

Postby Sandy » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:40 am

Sandy

Postby Dave Roberts » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:17 am

"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:08 am

Well, I think the support for it starts with the exec director. I'd have to go back through some of the news magazines and articles, but I believe both Linda Bridges and the staff at Ethics Daily have been supportive.
Sandy

Postby JE Pettibone » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:13 am

Ed: Sandy there is a certain difference between "Support for" and your use of drumbeat as defined by Websters Dictionary.

Drumbeat + vociferous advocacy of a cause

The CBF leadership indeed supports the concept of women in ministry, including the pastorate, just as they support many other causes
JE Pettibone

Postby Dave Roberts » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:17 am

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:49 am

Sandy

Postby Dave Roberts » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:54 pm

The report can be implemented by the Governing Board. It is not required to be submitted to the General Assembly.

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Haruo » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:18 pm

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby JE Pettibone » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:16 am

JE Pettibone

Postby Jim » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:23 am

Since the CBF hiring policy has not been presented here (or I haven't seen it), this is from the CBF web-site, Illumination Project:

Old CBF Hiring Policy (Adopted 2000):
 As Baptist Christians, we believe that the foundation of a Christian sexual ethic is faithfulness in marriage between a man and a woman and celibacy in singleness. We also believe in the love and grace of God for all people, both for those who live by this understanding of the biblical standard and those who do not. We treasure the freedom of individual conscience and the autonomy of the local church, and we also believe that congregational leaders should be persons of moral integrity whose lives exemplify the highest standards of Christian conduct and character.

Because of this organizational value, the Cooperative Baptist Fellowship does not allow for the expenditure of funds for organizations or causes that condone, advocate or affirm homosexual practice. Neither does this CBF organizational value allow for the purposeful hiring of a staff person or the sending of a missionary who is a practicing homosexual.

Current policy:
The Cooperative Baptist Fellowship new hiring policy ensures employees will be Christians committed to the Great Commandment and Great Commission, upholding the highest moral character and ethical standards lived out in Christ-centered relationship both inside and outside the workplace. The Christ-centered hiring policy states that “CBF will employ only individuals who profess Jesus Christ as Lord, are committed to living out the Great Commandment and Great Commission, and who affirm the principles that have shaped our unique Baptist heritage.” Preference in hiring will be given to active members of CBF churches. CBF employees will also be committed to the CBF’s mission of “serving Christians and churches as they discover and fulfill their God-given mission” as well as its global missions distinctives of bearing witness to Jesus Christ, cultivating beloved community and seeking transformational development.
Jim

Postby JE Pettibone » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:09 pm

Ed: Jim, across these boards there have been several post with a great deal of discussion on this topic, where have you been?
JE Pettibone

Postby Sandy » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:31 pm

Sandy

Postby Dave Roberts » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:26 am

Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:18 pm

That doesn't sound like a scenario that is going to turn out well. An ad hoc committee appointed by a governing board implementing a policy that is clearly opposed by a sizeable majority of participants is a guaranteed controversy. I think the cost is going to be high.
Sandy

Postby Big Daddy Weaver » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:37 pm

Hey guys,

The FAQ that was mentioned earlier might be helpful. We added it a few weeks ago based on questions that needed some additional clarification:

http://illuminationproject.net/faq

With the Feb. 9 vote of the Governing Board, the new hiring policy is now official CBF policy (http://illuminationproject.net/hiring-policy). No additional action is needed as the development and adoption of policies is the responsibility of the Governing Board. Procedures--including the implementation procedure--are the responsibility of the Executive Coordinator. There's additional info on the FAQ page as well as a link to the CBF Constitution/Bylaws (which was adopted in 2012-2013 as result of 2012 Task Force's work, replacing the Coordinating Council with a new governance structure - Governing Board, Ministries Council, Missions Council, Nominating Committee)

Business at the General Assembly in Dallas will include, as in past years and consistent with the bylaws, presentation and motion for adoption of the 2018-2019 Budget and presentation and motion for adoption of nominees for the governance bodies. The business procedures process at Assembly is here in the 2017 Guidebook on p. 29: https://issuu.com/fellowship/docs/2017_ ... k-final/29

If I can leave one more link, go to http://www.cbf.net/assembly to register if you plan to attend Assembly. We'll be sending out the promotional mailer with more details about this year's worship, workshops and commissioning in the coming few weeks.
My book:
My Baptists Today column:
My blog:
Big Daddy Weaver

Postby JE Pettibone » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:04 pm

Ed: I agree with Sandy on this one. And add, so let the Coordinating Council pay the bills out of their own pockets. I will be in Dallas because both, I want a first hand experience of the reaction of other Assembly attendee,s and we are where already heading west to Gillette Wyoming For a Family Motor Coach Association National Rally.

We will then hit Montana, North and South Dakota, Nebraska, Iowa, Wisconsin, Michigan and Ohio, thereby having been in all but The new England States via Motorhome. We have already done those by car. And hope to take the New coach up there next Year.
JE Pettibone

Next

Return to CBF Missions and Ministry Forum