[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
BaptistLife.Com Forums. • View topic - Atlanta meeting, 2017

Atlanta meeting, 2017

A forum for Cooperative Baptist Fellowship-related discussions.

Moderator: Neil Heath

Atlanta meeting, 2017

Postby Neil Heath » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:58 pm

Thought this might be an easy way to keep track of who's where at the CBF National Assembly in Atlanta this week.

I'm headed to Atlanta on Wed. morning. We'll be working Hospitality from 11:30 - 2:00 that day, then we're free. We'll attend several of the meal-related events, and hang around the exhibit hall, I'm sure. Anne is more interested in the actual programs and main events than I am. I just go to see all my friends and catch up with them. Looking forward to seeing Keith, and Ed and Trudy there. Anyone else?
Neil Heath
Neil Heath
Site Admin

Re: Atlanta meeting, 2017

Postby Dave Roberts » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:40 pm

I'm sorry not to be there. Am still in cardiac rehab here, but have a great time.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby KeithE » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:25 pm

Stop by there briefly and looked for Neal and the Petibones but could not find them. Did briefly talk with Bruce. Drove back to Huntsville tonight. I guess the Resource Fair did not start until tomorrow.

Had a good time golfing but my son beat me by 3 strokes. Guess I'm getting old.
Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Did not make it

Postby Stephen Fox » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:11 am

My heart was there and I called widely to catch a ride from Cartersville Ga or exit 191 on 20 in Heflin Alabama but logistics did not break my way. I was focused on Thursday to catch the New Covenant luncheon and some breakouts. Shoulda called Keith, but I think he was there for the Weds session. Thursday seems to be the biggest bang for the buck.

Plus I have a relative who monitors this board and texts me incessantly. Didn't want to say anything that would come to that persons attention to avoid the annoyance.

I really wanted to go for the fellowship. Contacted churches in Rome and our friend Lamar Wadsworth of Heritage in Cartersville.

Could be my last chance for a national convo, so there was that as well.

Would appear the GA CBF could arrange for at least one church van on the four corners of Atlanta 40 miles out for folks who don't want to mess with downtown Atlanta, even if they charged five dollars per transient.

But they cant cover everything, it appears.

Somebody has to do the thinking somewhere and lot of focus on Illumination this year.

Guess just have to go with the fond memories with good many of the rest of yall at the Fish place in Atlanta in 2006. I really did enjoy that gathering Even Flick.
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Re: Did not make it

Postby KeithE » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:54 pm

Informed by Data.
Driven by the SPIRIT and JESUS’s Example.
Promoting the Kingdom of GOD on Earth.
KeithE
Site Admin

Re:ATLANTA 2017

Postby JE Pettibone » Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:55 pm

We are back in Portland, left Atlanta at 9:00 A.M. Arrived PDX at 11:10 A.M. Sorry to have missed this mornings Business meeting. More about CBF the meeting latter

Took a train in from the airport. Stopped by the Portland Convention Center and And picked up our registration packages for the ABC Biennial. Had a quick lunch there, before we came back to the Coach here in Jentzan Beach via city bus. Picked up a months worth of mail forwarded by Trudy's brother in Florida. Worked on responding to that which needed a quick reply.Will be back to the center by 7:00 PM.,
Probably will not be back on line until Sunday. I know at least 4 others who where at the CBF Assembly who will be here in Portland.
Last edited by JE Pettibone on Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
JE Pettibone

Postby Haruo » Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:12 am

We were late getting to Portland, got to the Convention Center about 7 pm, so we missed our Asian Caucus Dinner. We'll be at the ABSW breakfast in the morning. Looking forward to seeing Ed & Trudy, and anybody else who is around.
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Re: Portland ABC/USA meeting, 2017

Postby JE Pettibone » Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:25 am

Opening business session, Worship service and, Celebration of welcoming for the New General Secretary of ABC/USA( Lee Spitzer where full of life and excitement.

Public transportation in Portland does not live up to it promotional material. I will say the Light rail is more reliable than the buses.

I have to get to bed, been up 23 hours , Well I did snooze off and on during the 4 hour 15 min flight from Atlanta. I will be up by seven, don't know if Trudy will make it before noon. But she is scheduled to usher tomorrow evening.
Last edited by JE Pettibone on Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
JE Pettibone

Postby Neil Heath » Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:51 pm

We had a good time at the CBF meeting. One of the first people I saw was Ed P, saw Trudy later. We passed in the halls several times. Saw Joseph Villines and his son, John Francis, at one of the meals. Sorry I missed seeing Keith, too. We had hoped to see several other old friends there who weren't able to come.

All the sessions were good. We really enjoyed music from the artist in residence, Joseph M. Martin. He is an amazing pianist. I have sung a number of his anthems in choir.

We left Friday afternoon instead of attending the final evening session. As always, it was good to be home.

Next year's meeting is in Dallas, then Birmingham, then Washington DC, if my info is correct. Looks like the 3 year rotation with TX, NC, and GA is ending. We probably won't make it to Texas, so I hope to see you all in 2 years!
Neil Heath
Neil Heath
Site Admin

Re: Portland ABC/USA meeting, 2017

Postby JE Pettibone » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:39 am

JE Pettibone

Postby Haruo » Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:44 pm

We had a fine time yesterday having lunch with the Pettibones at Milos' City Cafe, recommended by my Portland-resident brother Graham. We were tired enough we thought we'd better not try for the Sunday evening worship, so we left mid-afternoon to drive home. Not being a fan of freeway driving, especially congested freeway driving, I suggested we take the back road from Battle Ground through Cougar to Randle and Morton. Wonderfully scenic and all, but after we left Cougar we saw a sign saying FS road #25 (which we purposed to take) was blocked due to snow. Further up (about the high end of Swift Reservoir) we saw a second such sign, and decided they really meant it, so we turned around and went back through Woodland to I-5. As a result we got home shortly after midnight. Slept in (Mrs. H. is still sleeping, I need to go get her up.)

The Sunday morning worship service had a new (to me) text for HYMN TO JOY, I need to find it. Should have taken notes. But no credits were given.

Good sermon by Dr. Spitzer.

So ABC is modelling diversity bigtime now: we have a Puerto Rican President and a(n ethnically) Jewish General Secretary.

Evergreen was very well represented at the meeting. It was almost like being home.
Haruo = Leland Bryant Ross

Haruo
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:35 am

I didn't see much commentary on the content of the CBF gathering. Just curious. Anyone have insights as to where this might be headed?

https://baptistnews.com/article/lgbtq-c ... XjDTGnyvcs
Sandy

Postby JE Pettibone » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:08 pm

Ed: I have an Idea that CBF will continue into the future as it has for the past twenty five years, as a missions/service organization dedicated to meeting the needs of individuals and churches as much as the financial support of interested parties will permit.
JE Pettibone

Postby William Thornton » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:24 pm

Not my organization. Not my money. But where the cbf has been headed for 15 years is smaller, less financially stable. The big study group had more fuzzy speech than any similar group I've seen Ina long time. I would expect that the national organization would go the way of Gushee.

If any longer term result of the SBCCR was unforeseen it would be that the 40% or so minority would start so grand and decline as they have.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby JE Pettibone » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:19 pm

JE Pettibone

Postby Sandy » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:48 pm

Sandy

Postby William Thornton » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:18 pm

Ed, you're probably right and have certainly been consistent in this over the years.

I consider several CBFers my friends and am grateful for them.
My stray thoughts on SBC stuff may be found at my blog,
William Thornton
Site Admin

William is my friend too

Postby Stephen Fox » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:55 pm

I talked to some people in Ft Payne today at Chick Fil A who were in Atlanta for the CBF this year. When she said Baptist convention I immediately thought of Phoenix and said why would you want to go to that circus.

Then I had to back track.

I think we have a plan where Nurturing Faith will now be on the shelf of the magazine racks at the County Library in Ft. Payne.
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."

http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox

Return to CBF Missions and Ministry Forum