It's Here and Worth the Trip!

Does the New Baptist Covenant represent the dawning of a new day of unity in Baptist life? Discuss the ongoing Covenant meetings here.

Moderator: Bruce Gourley

It's Here and Worth the Trip!

Postby Cathy » Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:51 am

I am lazy and have more pressing issues I should be pursuing. But I wanted to say that I have been enjoying the meeting. I would second Wade Burleson's recommendation, but I can't find the archive he mentions. Maybe one of you can help.

Here's the link to Wade's blog.

http://kerussocharis.blogspot.com/2009/ ... aring.html

Only one comment and it appears to be a scam post. What those payday lenders won't do!!

I see that Mainstream Baptist says they are live streaming.

http://mainstreambaptist.blogspot.com/2 ... ptist.html

I met David Flick, of course.
Cathy
 
Posts: 781
Joined: Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:10 am

Re: It's Here and Worth the Trip!

Postby Big Daddy Weaver » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:35 am

Thanks for this update.

I regret that I was forced to cancel my trip. Spent early Monday morning in the ER with a case of pancreatitis.

Looking forward to more updates.
User avatar
Big Daddy Weaver
 
Posts: 2494
Joined: Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:15 am
Location: Waco, TX

Re: It's Here and Worth the Trip!

Postby Cathy » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:26 pm

David and I had both looked for you. Sorry to hear that you are sick again.
Last edited by Cathy on Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cathy
 
Posts: 781
Joined: Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:10 am

Re: It's Here and Worth the Trip!

Postby Big Daddy Weaver » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:47 pm

Yea, the Mono that got me good back in late June/early July decided to surface again and left me with an enlarged spleen, pancreatitis, tonsilitis, and severe pains to my left-side and back.

Here are a few links I found:

Live Stream

Breakout Session 1
Breakout Session 2
General Session 1
General Session 2
User avatar
Big Daddy Weaver
 
Posts: 2494
Joined: Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:15 am
Location: Waco, TX

Re: It's Here and Worth the Trip!

Postby Cathy » Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:06 pm

I thought to save a few people some time I would list times for some of the specific items you might not want to miss.

Session 1 Facing our History of Racism

J.C. Watts spoke at 27 minutes

John "Yafke" Timothy did the special music at about 47 minutes. It included a seminole song and then went into an old familiar him. Harou might in particular enjoy it.

There was a panel and discussion after the showing of the documentary "Beneath the Sin: Baptists and Racism" The panelists are introduced by Mitch Randall at about 54 minutes. A short version of the documentary is shown in the stream at about 1 hour and 20 seconds. The panel discussion follows. You'll recognize faces on the panel from the film Dwight McKissic speaks on the panel at 1:59:30. You would do well to listen to all of the panelists but you probably won't want to miss Mr. McKissic. There are plenty of good things said by all of the panelists. Given the fact that we have followed Mr. McKissic I thought some will want to move to his portion of the talk. Don't miss his humorous illustration in regard to starting inter racial churches.

The first speaker is the first lady of OK.

Tim Eaton is one of the early speakers in the panel discussion and he told a bit about the history of Free Will Baptists.

Laura Cadena speaks in a heart felt way about her experiences in the Southeast.
Last edited by Cathy on Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cathy
 
Posts: 781
Joined: Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:10 am

Re: It's Here and Worth the Trip!

Postby Cathy » Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:30 pm

I have not yet viewed the breakout sessions and was not in one that was recorded. I might come back to those with recommendations.

Session 2 Seeing the Needs of the Present Hour

First testimony of the evening is by Hanna Massad a Baptist MInister from Gaza. I heard him at the NBC in Atlanta and he is worth hearing. Todd Littleton introduces him at 31:04.

Wilford Brown speaks from the perspective of a Native American raised as a Christian and on the staff at Bacone College. He is introduced by Todd at 57:00. At the end of his testimony he sings a Kiowa prayer song that he sang as a child in church (for Harou).

Ellis Orozco is introduced by Todd at 1 hour and 23 minutes. You should listen to this. It was certainly one of the highlights of the meeting. He is pastor at First Baptist Richardson. I belonged there when I lived in Richardson and Clyde Fant was pastor. That was a longtime ago!!! I know Richardson is happy to have Ellis Orozco.
Cathy
 
Posts: 781
Joined: Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:10 am

Re: It's Here and Worth the Trip!

Postby Cathy » Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:14 pm

Session 3 Calling for a Future of Love in Action

Starts with music by the Baptist University of the Americas Chorale

Oklahoma Governor Brad Henry spoke after an introduction by his pastor 25 minutes into the program and more music by the chorale. The governor starts at 35 minutes and 30 seconds. He introduces Jimmy Carter as well.

Jimmy Carter starts speaking at 55:35.

Don't miss Kyndall Renfro's recitation of the scripture reading at 1:35:08.

Major Jemison presents the sermon at the third session at 1:48:15.
Cathy
 
Posts: 781
Joined: Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:10 am

Re: It's Here and Worth the Trip!

Postby Cathy » Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:43 pm

Session 4 Responding to the Appeal for Unity

Testimony by Sarah Stewart, Minister in Residence at OKC FBC. She begins at 1:03:30. Speaks primarily of her own call into pastoral ministry.

Wade Burleson speaks powerfully in defense of Unity and in the support of women called to pastoral ministry (or to teach Hebrew...). He keeps carefully to notes and says this is unusual for him but he desires to be intentional in his words. It was a great message and well received. Todd Littleton introduces Wade Burleson 1:16:27. The choir sings again and Wade Burleson speaks at 1:30:10.

I have left out several people that spoke or sang, but these were some of the highlights of the meeting and I think are probably the highlights for me.
Cathy
 
Posts: 781
Joined: Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:10 am

Re: It's Here and Worth the Trip!

Postby Cathy » Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:15 pm

People I met.

I had a cup of coffee with David Flick and really enjoyed meeting him. I should have tried to convert him to being a believer in AGW. I missed my opportunity.

Unbeknownst to me until it was over David was in Parham's session on Global Warming. Parham spoke about a list of 700 GW skeptics. There was someone on the list named David Blick. Parham spoke about Blick's lack of credentials as well as one or two more on the list with a similar lack of real scientific credibility. Well the name sounded so similar you might think that he was talking about our own David Flick (except of course for the lack of scientific credentials).

So obviously I met Parham. One of William's favorites (TIC). I'd like to make some suggestions about the content of the session for that sort of group, but he had a mostly friendly crowd. In spite of my credentials I think he'll probably stick to Gore's slides.

I met Wade Burleson and his wife. I wish I had brought his book for his signature. I just never thought of it.

I introduced myself to Dwight McKissic. What a pleasant, warm man!! I saw him at the NBC in Atlanta but here he was on the program and I enjoyed him and his words on the panel. I probably should have gone to that breakout.

It was a smaller meeting in a smaller facility so if there was someone you wanted to speak to you could have. Jimmy Allen spoke briefly in the first session and I ran into him on the elevator. All of the speakers were very approachable and available because of the size of the meeting.

My bill on leaving had a heavy bar tab on it! They straightened it out pretty quickly but it was holding up the check out line for Parham and Prescott. Oh Well!!
Cathy
 
Posts: 781
Joined: Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:10 am

Re: It's Here and Worth the Trip!

Postby Cathy » Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:04 pm

I am linking Wade Burleson's from today. He links the 4th session video and a transcript. I do agree with him that you should listen in the link, but if want the transcript it is in his blog linked below.

http://kerussocharis.blogspot.com/2009/ ... lenge.html
Cathy
 
Posts: 781
Joined: Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:10 am

Re: It's Here and Worth the Trip!

Postby Ed Edwards » Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:56 pm

Cathy: // had a cup of coffee with David Flick and really enjoyed meeting him. I should have tried to convert him to being a believer in AGW. I missed my opportunity.

// Unbeknownst to me until it was over David was in Parham's session on Global Warming. Parham spoke about a list of 700 GW skeptics. There was someone on the list named David Blick. Parham spoke about Blick's lack of credentials as well as one or two more on the list with a similar lack of real scientific credibility. Well the name sounded so similar you might think that he was talking about our own David Flick (except of course for the lack of scientific credentials). //


Somehow I missed that break-out session. Our Local newspaper (Norman Transcript) had a full page advert by
http:www.ok.newbaptistcovenant.org

It lists that session as:
// The Challenge of Environmental Stewardship:
Robert Parham, Executive Director of the Baptist Center for Ethics

I thought this Midwest Regional Meeting of the New Baptist Covenant was Fri & Sat; but it was Thur evening and Friday all day. So this mornings local paper only covered that President Carter was there. Didn't even mention local ex-USrepresentative J.C. Watts???

The meetings were held in Norman, Oklahoma's new Convention Center, build by a local TIF (i think it stands for TAXING IS FUNDAMENTAL :D ) district.
Keep the Planet Cool :angel:
( for the physical Millennial Messianic Reign of Jesus )


Image

-- Ed Edwards, AGW Dude
(AGW = Anthropogenic Global Warming)
Ed Edwards
 
Posts: 615
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2005 10:21 pm
Location: Exciting Central Oklahoma

Re: It's Here and Worth the Trip!

Postby Cathy » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:03 pm

Ed, wish you had come by. We could have all had that cup of coffee together.
Cathy
 
Posts: 781
Joined: Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:10 am

Re: It's Here and Worth the Trip!

Postby David Flick » Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:33 am

Cathy wrote:People I met.

1I had a cup of coffee with David Flick and really enjoyed meeting him. 2I should have tried to convert him to being a believer in AGW. I missed my opportunity.

1) And I enjoyed meeting you, Cathy. One of the neat things about meeting a BaptistLifer in person is being able to associate a face with a name. I wish you had allowed me to snap a photograph of you that could be posted on the forum so others might know what you look like . I am always reluctant attempt to imagine the physical features of someone by reading what they write. One humorous personal experience I had when trying to do that was the case of "Moz" (Mark Osgatharp). For a couple of years while Moz was writing on BL.Com, I had envisioned him to be big fellow, say about 6"3" x 220 lbs. His bold style of writing and self assured ultra-fundamentalist demeanor on the forum had me thinking that he was a great big guy. Turns out he's a rather small fellow, about the size of Russ Moore, I'd say about about 5'4" x 150lbs. Nothing wrong with being physically small, but ever after that, I quit trying to imagine the physical features of an internet forum person... :D Anyway, it was a pleasure to become acquainted with you in person. (Thanks for the Coke and Heath bar)

2) I confess that you could probably come closer to converting me than Bro Parham... :)

Cathy wrote:1Unbeknownst to me until it was over David was in Parham's session on Global Warming. 2Parham spoke about a list of 700 GW skeptics. 3There was someone on the list named David Blick. Parham spoke about Blick's lack of credentials as well as one or two more on the list with a similar lack of real scientific credibility. Well the name sounded so similar you might think that he was talking about our own David Flick (except of course for the lack of scientific credentials).

1) I didn't realize you were in the room until about way through presentation. We were sitting on the same row on opposite sides of the room. When Parham went into the room to begin the presentation, there were only three other people in the room. One was a fellow who belonged to the same church I was when I was the DOM of Grady Baptist Association. I guesstimate there were probably 20-25 people in the room. I initially thought there were going be only a few people to hear the presentation.

2) The list Bro. Parham spoke about is this one.

3) I didn't hear him very clearly, but when he said "Blick" it sounded very much like "Flick." Actually, the man he was talking about is Edward L. Blick, PhD. Parham wrote about Blick in this Ethics Daily editorial. I find it interesting that of the 700 scientists on Inhofe's list, Parham picks apart just two of them. What about the others? I suppose that he believes that all the others are unqualified just because two don't fit his idea of qualified climate science commentators. He implied that Blick was unqualified. Nothing could be farther from the truth. He is a PhD and has been a professor of aerospace and a professor of mechanical and nuclear engineering at the University of Oklahoma from 1959 to 1981. From 1981 to 1992, he served at the same institution as a professor of petroleum and geological engineering, and also served as adjunct in the School of Meteorology and an adjunct professor in the College of Medicine. From 1951 to 1954 he was United States Air Force weatherman, providing weather information for A-bomb and H-bomb tests. He has written some 150 scientific articles and publications, and has authored an engineering textbook, and co-authored another engineering textbook. Source.... Certainly Blick's views on religion are weird and out on the fringe, but he is undeniably a well trained individual in the field of earth sciences.

Although Parham mentioned Blick and Allen, a non-scientist, in his editorial, the focus was on Senator Inhofe.
Robert Parham wrote:The problem here is not so much Allen’s lack of education, nor his theology of hostility toward science.

The problem is Inhofe’s lack of integrity. Inhofe claims the support of prominent scientists, one of whom has no scientific credentials.

[...]

Blick signed a statement opposing Darwin’s theory of evolution sponsored by the Discovery Institute, a creationist organization, and is listed as a scientist with the Institute of Creation Research.

Again, the Inhofe problem is not that Blick advocates a fundamentalist theology that is hostile to science. Blick is certainly entitled to his non-scientific opinion and screwy theology. Just don’t claim that he is a prominent scientist whose opinion should be taken seriously about global warming.

Not only is the Oklahoma senator being deceptive; he is spreading misinformation in the public square. Again and again, the increasingly unhinged deniers of global warming point to Inhofe’s report to validate their theocratic worldview or selfish economic interests at the expense of the global good. It only takes a village of global warming deniers to slow down the needed initiatives to address climate change.

Next time you hear or read about a growing number of scientists who disagree that human beings are causing global warming, remember Chris Allen and Edward Blick.

Remember than what gets Inhofe into trouble is not what he doesn’t know, but what he thinks he knows that just isn’t so.

Parham goes to great lengths in his editorial destroy and discredit Senator Inhofe. He describes the Senator as having "lack of integrity," "being deceptive," "spreading misinformation." In his presentation at the breakout session last Friday, he implied that people who aren't trained climate scientists have no right to speak on climate change matters. I was more than a bit amused as I listened to the ethisist speak. I took a ton of notes and paid close attention to the presentation. I don't recall that Parham cited a single trained climate scientist throughout the entire presentation. I didn't hear the name of a single climate scientist. Nor did I hear him mention the IPCC. I did observe that virtually all the slides in the presentation were taken directly from Al Gore's book & film (An Inconvenient Truth). Yesterday and today, I thumbed through the book and listened to several YouTube clips of Al Gore making the presentation. I have seen the film three times.

It's beyond humorous as I think about it. There was Parham tearing Senator Inhofe apart for quoting nonscientists in his report while simultaneously quoting a nonscientist. He clearly admitted that he had received permission from Gore to use the photos, graphs, etc. The truth of the matter is that Gore has almost no scientific training and yet, in Bro. Parham's view, the former Vice President is the ultimate authority on climate science matters. Here's what I discovered about the level of Gore's training on climate science.
Al Gore is a politician, not a scientist. He dropped out of Vanderbilt’s divinity school. He had two college natural science courses. He made a “D” in one, and a “C+” in the other. He made an “F” on his College Board physics exam and a “D” in chemistry. Source...


I don't question Bro. Parham's integrity, but I do find it very interesting that he impuges Senator Inhofe for quoting non-scientists when he does exactly the same thing...

Cathy wrote:So obviously I met Parham. One of William's favorites (TIC). I'd like to make some suggestions about the content of the session for that sort of group, but he had a mostly friendly crowd. In spite of my credentials I think he'll probably stick to Gore's slides.

Yes, it was a friendly crowd. I was, no doubt, the only skeptic in the room. He certainly can't claim that fundamentalist Baptists are the only people who are skeptics. I'm definitely a moderate Baptist, but undeniably a skeptic wrt AGW, one he would call an "unhinged denier of global warming."
User avatar
David Flick
Site Admin
 
Posts: 8490
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2004 12:55 pm
Location: Oklahoma City, OK

Re: It's Here and Worth the Trip!

Postby David Flick » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:22 am

BaptistLifers I encountered at the NBC celebration in Norman:


  • Cathy: Saw her at every session, visited with her in the halls on several occasions and was in Robert Parham's global warming breakout session.
  • Don Wilkey: Visited with him a couple of times. Inquired why he hasn't written to the forum in a long while. He informed me that he was on another forum.
  • Bowtie Baptist (Michael Dain): Saw and visited with him many times during the course of the event. Michael is now Assistant Professor of Religion and Philosophy for Wayland Baptist University, Lubbock campus. Michael is definitely a "Bowtie" Baptist. Never saw him without wearing some of the best looking bow ties on the market.
  • Wesley Shotwell; Saw him several times. I inquired why he had not written to the forums. He said nhe reads us frequently but doesn't write unless he has something intelligent to say. I told him he sells himself short and that he writews intelligently every time he posts a message. Hint hint, Wesley, here's a moderator wanting you to jump back in more frequently.
  • Wade Burleson: Saw and visited with him numerous times. Listened to him preach one of the best sermons I've heard in years (will post an article about that below).
  • Paul Burleson (Wade's father): Paul hasn't posted anything to BL.com, but I have it on good authority that he lurks the forums regularly...
Hope I haven't forgotten anyone. If so, please jump in and identify yourself.
User avatar
David Flick
Site Admin
 
Posts: 8490
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2004 12:55 pm
Location: Oklahoma City, OK

Re: It's Here and Worth the Trip!

Postby David Flick » Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:27 am

.
.
.
. . . . . . . . . . . .
New Baptist Covenant Celebration Review

I was unable to attend the NBC Celebration in Atlanta so this is my first experience to meet with a diverse group of Baptists. I really didn't know what to expect. There were 17 different Baptist conventions, fellowships and organizations in attendance. That's 15 stripes of Baptists more than I had ever sat in one conference and fellowshipped with. I regret that I passed my 68th birthday before I experienced what I did last week.

To be honest, I spent almost my entire career as a pastor and minor denominational employee (DOM) holding a myopic view of who and what Baptists are. Having been born and raised Southern Baptist, I was led to believe that Southern Baptists were superior to all others. I falsely believed that non-Southern Baptists were inferior. I am ashamed of myself for holding that view.

I want to publicly express appreciation to Steering Committee for the New Baptist Covenant Midwestern Meeting. Bruce Prescott was the chairman of the committee. He deserves special recognition for helping put things together to make the NBC celebration marvelous success. Below is a list of the committee members representing the 17 different Baptist groups.

. . .Image

All of the speakers at each of the worship sessions were outstanding. I enjoyed hearing testimonies given by President Jimmy Carter, Governor Brad Henry, J. C. Watts, and Wilford Brown. Wilford is a colleague in ministry with me, pastoring the First American Indian Baptist church in Hobart, which is a church in the same association as the one I pastor. The sermons preached by Ellis Orosco, Major Jemison, and my crosstown neighbor, Wade Burleson were some of the best I've heard in years. I sat in a couple of D.Min seminars with Major back in the mid '90 when we were studying at Midwestern Baptist Seminary.

The special music was inspirational almost beyond words to describe. Baptists of all stripes have marvelous talent and hearing the worshipful music was truly a blessing to me.

One breakout session stands out in my mind as I reflect on it. It was the Western Heritage Worship breakout session. I heard my friend and colleague Kathy Longhat, the Native American pastor of Rainy Mountain Kiowa Indian Baptist Church near Mountain View, OK. She and her congregation led a traditional Native American worship service, complete with native tongue hymns. I also heard Cowboy preacher, Charles Higgs, Director of the Western Heritage Affinity Group for the Baptist General Convention of Texas. It was a unique worship experience wherein Cowboys and American Indians joined hearts & voices in worship of Almighty God. Rainy Mountain Kiowa Indian Baptist church is in the same association as the church I pastor. We American Baptists have some marvelous women preachers and Kathy is one of the best.

It's is difficult for me to assign a "best" sermon marker to the sermons delivered at the Baptist celebration, but I believe that Wade Burleson's sermon comes close to being the best one I heard. Wade, pastor of Emmanuel Baptist Church here in Enid "shelled down the corn," as old time country preachers used to say. Shelling down the corn is a country preacher's expression meaning, he shelled corn (removing the kernels) and got right to the core of the matter. It has been years since I heard a sermon like Wade preached. He spoke to my heart.

To me, he said that we Baptists (of all stripes) should love and respect one another regardless of the differences we might have. I want to copy & paste the last few words of wade's sermon here. They are profound
You and I are called to love each and every sister in Christ who feels called to ministry. We are called to affirm the dignity of every Christian woman called to minister. We are commanded to treat them with respect and civility. We are also called to love, respect and affirm the autonomy of local Baptist congregations and denominations that utilize these gifted women in ministry as they see fit. To censor them, reject them, abuse them or condemn their character is a sin of the first order.

The principles Rick Warren gave to the Muslims one month ago are just as relevant to all us Baptists today and for the years to come. The only way we will ever have peace between Christians and the Muslims in this world is when we Baptists first begin to value the dignity of our sisters in Christ who are called to minister, to respect those churches that call them to serve, and to protect the individual freedoms of our fellow Baptists to think, believe and act as their conscience leads them in obedience to Christ and His Word. It is only then are we will we display the kind love that Jesus says will distinguish us from the rest of the world.


So to Wade Burleson, who closed one of the best Baptist meetings I've ever attended, I give the highest ranking Golden Spur in my collection. Wade, you deserve it.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Image

---------------------------------------

Wade, the last words you said to me last Friday night were, "David, we gotta do lunch one of these days." Yes we do!!! And let's do it sooner rather than later...
:)
User avatar
David Flick
Site Admin
 
Posts: 8490
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2004 12:55 pm
Location: Oklahoma City, OK

Not heretics nor Infidels

Postby Stephen Fox » Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:09 pm

Like we've been told.

Quoting Wade Burleson's wife from his blog of last Saturday:

(4). While listening to the speakers at the Conference, my wife leaned over to me and whispered, "I've heard more about Christ and what it means for us to honor Him than any Convention I've attended in a long, long time. These folks aren't either heretics or infidels like we've been told." I agree.
"I'm the only sane {person} in here." Doyle Hargraves, Slingblade
"Midget, Broom; Helluva campaign". Political consultant, "Oh, Brother..."


http://www.foxofbama.blogspot.com or google asfoxseesit
Stephen Fox
 
Posts: 9519
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2007 8:29 pm

Re: It's Here and Worth the Trip!

Postby Wade Burleson » Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:26 pm

David Flick wrote: .
.
.
. . . . . . . . . . . .
New Baptist Covenant Celebration Review

I was unable to attend the NBC Celebration in Atlanta so this is my first experience to meet with a diverse group of Baptists. I really didn't know what to expect. There were 17 different Baptist conventions, fellowships and organizations in attendance. That's 15 stripes of Baptists more than I had ever sat in one conference and fellowshipped with. I regret that I passed my 68th birthday before I experienced what I did last week.

To be honest, I spent almost my entire career as a pastor and minor denominational employee (DOM) holding a myopic view of who and what Baptists are. Having been born and raised Southern Baptist, I was led to believe that Southern Baptists were superior to all others. I falsely believed that non-Southern Baptists were inferior. I am ashamed of myself for holding that view.

I want to publicly express appreciation to Steering Committee for the New Baptist Covenant Midwestern Meeting. Bruce Prescott was the chairman of the committee. He deserves special recognition for helping put things together to make the NBC celebration marvelous success. Below is a list of the committee members representing the 17 different Baptist groups.

. . .Image

All of the speakers at each of the worship sessions were outstanding. I enjoyed hearing testimonies given by President Jimmy Carter, Governor Brad Henry, J. C. Watts, and Wilford Brown. Wilford is a colleague in ministry with me, pastoring the First American Indian Baptist church in Hobart, which is a church in the same association as the one I pastor. The sermons preached by Ellis Orosco, Major Jemison, and my crosstown neighbor, Wade Burleson were some of the best I've heard in years. I sat in a couple of D.Min seminars with Major back in the mid '90 when we were studying at Midwestern Baptist Seminary.

The special music was inspirational almost beyond words to describe. Baptists of all stripes have marvelous talent and hearing the worshipful music was truly a blessing to me.

One breakout session stands out in my mind as I reflect on it. It was the Western Heritage Worship breakout session. I heard my friend and colleague Kathy Longhat, the Native American pastor of Rainy Mountain Kiowa Indian Baptist Church near Mountain View, OK. She and her congregation led a traditional Native American worship service, complete with native tongue hymns. I also heard Cowboy preacher, Charles Higgs, Director of the Western Heritage Affinity Group for the Baptist General Convention of Texas. It was a unique worship experience wherein Cowboys and American Indians joined hearts & voices in worship of Almighty God. Rainy Mountain Kiowa Indian Baptist church is in the same association as the church I pastor. We American Baptists have some marvelous women preachers and Kathy is one of the best.

It's is difficult for me to assign a "best" sermon marker to the sermons delivered at the Baptist celebration, but I believe that Wade Burleson's sermon comes close to being the best one I heard. Wade, pastor of Emmanuel Baptist Church here in Enid "shelled down the corn," as old time country preachers used to say. Shelling down the corn is a country preacher's expression meaning, he shelled corn (removing the kernels) and got right to the core of the matter. It has been years since I heard a sermon like Wade preached. He spoke to my heart.

To me, he said that we Baptists (of all stripes) should love and respect one another regardless of the differences we might have. I want to copy & paste the last few words of wade's sermon here. They are profound
You and I are called to love each and every sister in Christ who feels called to ministry. We are called to affirm the dignity of every Christian woman called to minister. We are commanded to treat them with respect and civility. We are also called to love, respect and affirm the autonomy of local Baptist congregations and denominations that utilize these gifted women in ministry as they see fit. To censor them, reject them, abuse them or condemn their character is a sin of the first order.

The principles Rick Warren gave to the Muslims one month ago are just as relevant to all us Baptists today and for the years to come. The only way we will ever have peace between Christians and the Muslims in this world is when we Baptists first begin to value the dignity of our sisters in Christ who are called to minister, to respect those churches that call them to serve, and to protect the individual freedoms of our fellow Baptists to think, believe and act as their conscience leads them in obedience to Christ and His Word. It is only then are we will we display the kind love that Jesus says will distinguish us from the rest of the world.


So to Wade Burleson, who closed one of the best Baptist meetings I've ever attended, I give the highest ranking Golden Spur in my collection. Wade, you deserve it.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Image

---------------------------------------

Wade, the last words you said to me last Friday night were, "David, we gotta do lunch one of these days." Yes we do!!! And let's do it sooner rather than later...
:)


David, thanks for the very kind words.

I have you down for Monday, August 17, 2009 at 12:00 noon at Rib Crib. My treat.

If that doesn't work for you, call my secretary Barbara at (580) 237-0602 and she will reschedule.

Wade

P.S. I feel like I did the other night when my wife and I were sitting in our living room working our our respective computers and she sent me a message on Facebook. Gotta love it.
The world is too dangerous to live in - not because of the people who do evil but because of the people who sit and let it happen.

Albert Einstein
User avatar
Wade Burleson
 
Posts: 193
Joined: Sun Jul 23, 2006 4:32 pm
Location: Enid, Oklahoma

Re: It's Here and Worth the Trip!

Postby David Flick » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:59 pm

Wade Burleson wrote:David, I have you down for Monday, August 17, 2009 at 12:00 noon at Rib Crib. My treat.

Thanks, Wade, I'll be there...
User avatar
David Flick
Site Admin
 
Posts: 8490
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2004 12:55 pm
Location: Oklahoma City, OK

Re: It's Here and Worth the Trip!

Postby Chris » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:02 pm

At this week's BGAV, I was informed that there will be a NBC gathering in October 2010 in Philadelphia. That is within one-day driving distance. I think I will be there.

Also heard that next year's annual national CBF meeting will be in June 2010 in Charlotte. That also is within one day drive. I think I will be there, too.
Jesus paid the price for me and everybody.
Chris
 
Posts: 4201
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2005 7:29 pm
Location: Newport News, VA

Re: It's Here and Worth the Trip!

Postby Cathy » Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:31 pm

Chris wrote:At this week's BGAV, I was informed that there will be a NBC gathering in October 2010 in Philadelphia. That is within one-day driving distance. I think I will be there.

Also heard that next year's annual national CBF meeting will be in June 2010 in Charlotte. That also is within one day drive. I think I will be there, too.


That's really interesting Chris. Not a place I would have guessed. Maybe I can go see my mother-in-law in Delaware and take in some of that meeting. I'd like to hear some of the Baptists in that part of the country.
Cathy
 
Posts: 781
Joined: Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:10 am


Return to New Baptist Covenant

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron